Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   no start (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/369117-no-start.html)

TutorialSurplus 01-14-2017 01:36 PM

no start

Hey I have a 1995 honda civic coupe that im having some problems with. It was driving fine then it sat for about a week while I was gone on vacation with the family come back and it wont crank, but will turn over all day. I did some test and it no gas is getting to the engine so I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and as a last hope the main relay with no avail. Sill wont start. If anyone has had something similar and fixed it let me know. Its getting plenty of spark and air.

Wankenstein 01-17-2017 05:55 PM

Re: no start

Originally Posted by TutorialSurplus (Post 4717963)
Hey I have a 1995 honda civic coupe that im having some problems with. It was driving fine then it sat for about a week while I was gone on vacation with the family come back and it wont crank, but will turn over all day. I did some test and it no gas is getting to the engine so I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and as a last hope the main relay with no avail. Sill wont start. If anyone has had something similar and fixed it let me know. Its getting plenty of spark and air.

Turn key to position 2 do your hear (new) fuel pump prime?
If so, then while in position 2 hold gas pedal all the way down for 10 seconds move to position 3 (start) while still holding pedal to floor. If it cranks and runs let off gas. If it cranks but doesn't start let of gas pedal and try starting again.

If you didn't hear fuel pump prime then either fuse, wiring break or possible ignition cylinder issue.
Can check if fuel is getting to fuel injectors by removing the fuel rail (including injectors) and then spray the injectors into a bucket and watch for gas spray pattern and sequence.

If you have fuel and have spark then all that's left is air. Throttle body plate stuck closed? doubtful but possible.
Also, the distributor's igniter and/or coil is always a possibilty too.
But, test don't guess (and just replace parts).

ezone 01-17-2017 08:50 PM

Are the spark plugs wet, or dry?

TutorialSurplus 01-23-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718102)
Are the spark plugs wet, or dry?

Dry the fuel pump wasnt pumping fuel I figured it was just a dud that I bought so I bought another one and its still not pumping fuel but I can clearly here it turning on.

Colin42 01-24-2017 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson (Post 4718084)
Can check if fuel is getting to fuel injectors by removing the fuel rail (including injectors) and then spray the injectors into a bucket and watch for gas spray pattern and sequence.

Try this yet?
Or at least open the line at the rail and see if its getting past the filter?

TutorialSurplus 01-24-2017 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4718429)
Try this yet?
Or at least open the line at the rail and see if its getting past the filter?

Yes I did try that with both of the fuel pumps and no fuel was getting to the front the pump is turning on but not pumping any fuel at all I even tried disconnecting the lines from the top of the fuel pump and no fuel is coming out of it. The fuel tank is also full of gas before someone asks me that lol

ezone 01-24-2017 09:26 PM

the pump is turning on but not pumping any fuel at all I even tried disconnecting the lines from the top of the fuel pump and no fuel is coming out of it.
Problem is with the pump again, but why? Is there a leak between the pump and the top of the tank?

TutorialSurplus 01-24-2017 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718455)
Problem is with the pump again, but why? Is there a leak between the pump and the top of the tank?

Thats what im asking haha i dont understand what could be causing the fuel pump to not work for a second time and no i do not believe there is a leak everything is hooked up how its supposed to be. Do you know if the pump has like a seperate wire that controls it turning on and another wire that controls the pumping of fuel. Thats the only thing I could think of

ezone 01-24-2017 09:45 PM

Are you having to assemble the pump to the tank unit, or are you buying a complete drop-in assembly?

ezone 01-24-2017 09:47 PM

Is the pump wired backwards?

TutorialSurplus 01-24-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718461)
Are you having to assemble the pump to the tank unit, or are you buying a complete drop-in assembly?

?? not sure what you mean buy that. But I bought a fuel pump kit that came with the pump itself a filter that attaches to the bottom the rubber piece that holds the fuel pump in and the hose that runs from the pump to the top of the assembly.

TutorialSurplus 01-24-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718463)
Is the pump wired backwards?

Unless if it was already wired backwards b4 it broke down then no bc I copied everything exactly

ezone 01-24-2017 09:59 PM

bought a fuel pump kit that came with the pump itself a filter that attaches to the bottom the rubber piece that holds the fuel pump in and the hose that runs from the pump to the top of the assembly.
So you had to kinda assemble it yourself.

You said you can hear the pump run?

I can only guess the pump motor is running backwards, and it can't build pressure if it's running backards.

Can you switch the 2 wires for it just to see if that makes it pump?

TutorialSurplus 01-25-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718468)

I can only guess the pump motor is running backwards, and it can't build pressure if it's running backards.

Yes I can hear the pump run I'll check it out and see when I get a chance

TutorialSurplus 01-25-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718468)

I switched the two wires around and still no fuel is coming from the pump but I can't still here it prime

ezone 01-25-2017 06:54 PM

but I can't still here it prime
I assume that's a typo, you CAN hear it prime and run?

Hmmm. Well, I guess put the wires back the way they were since that didn't change anything....

Check for a full 12v battery power and full ground reaching the pump? (I know this may be dangerous because of gasoline and sparks, but I have had to connect and run a pump outside of the tank to test that, along with checking for leaks under pressure)

How about a blockage preventing flow?
Was there a dust cap over the end of the pump you should have removed before you put the hose over it? How about the other end of the pump where the strainer goes?

The problem might be something so simple you'll facepalm when you find it.

TutorialSurplus 01-25-2017 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4718527)
I assume that's a typo, you CAN hear it prime and run?

Hmmm. Well, I guess put the wires back the way they were since that didn't change anything....

Check for a full 12v battery power and full ground reaching the pump? (I know this may be dangerous because of gasoline and sparks, but I have had to connect and run a pump outside of the tank to test that, along with checking for leaks under pressure)

How about a blockage preventing flow?
Was there a dust cap over the end of the pump you should have removed before you put the hose over it? How about the other end of the pump where the strainer goes?

The problem might be something so simple you'll facepalm when you find it.

Yes that was a typo lol and yeah it will be a facepalm and there couldnt be a blockage bc im litterally unhooking the hoses out of the top of the fuel pump to see if its flowing any fuel out so its just not pumping out fuel I have absolutely no clue what it could be...