Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Is my IACV bad? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/363731-my-iacv-bad.html)

mikemc422 04-26-2015 10:46 PM

Is my IACV bad?

My idle seems to be jumpy sometimes, other times it's perfect, other times it's too high, other times it's too low. Since I bought the car in january 2015, the idle has stayed around 1000 once it warmed up, and drop/chug when stopped at a light, and it's always chugged at startup when it's cold. About a month ago, and quite a few times since then, the idle will stay at 1500 to 2000, once or twice it stayed at 2100, and it will stay that way until it sits and cools off for a while, or just drop down to 500. Is this my IACV? if so, is there a way I should try cleaning it before just replacing it? The car is stick, so when it jumps up, I'm afraid I'll roast my clutch if I drive it, and when it drops down/isn't warm yet I'm afraid it'll damage my engine mounts. the engine and transmission have less than 45K on them, and I don't know what's wrong. It's a regular idle too, not the electronic one, if that helps. I also want to be able to use my a/c if there's a fix for what's happening to my car. when I turn on my blower (for heat or a/c) my idle drops (especially when on circulation mode) to the point where I usually have to step on the gas to keep it from stalling, and when I turn on the a/c, it drops even more, and runs rougher. Is there a way to fix this? or do I have to live without a/c? I don't use the a/c much anyway, it'd just be nice to have here in florida for if i'm stuck in traffic in the summer, or it starts raining/gets hot & humid. Could this be because my a/c condenser pulley could be stuck/harder to turn than it should be? thanks in advance for any help.

nickeynick 04-27-2015 06:04 PM

Re: Is my IACV bad?

Unplug the hoses and electrical connector from the IACV and then remove it from the intake manifold. You can clean it out with some carb cleaner and depending on the engine model - you can twist down and reset the plug inside the IACV that moves when heated or cooled by the attached coolant lines.

Just google Honda IACV cleaning. Plenty of DIY write ups out there.

mikemc422 05-02-2015 09:11 AM

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Spark plugs & wires seemed to help a lot, but not fix the problem, it had 3 7mm plug wires and 1 4mm plug wire, and one plug wasn't firing properly (smelled like bad gas and was discolored), and the other plugs were worn out. I put in 10mm plug wires and NGK performance plugs

Niceman99 08-09-2018 05:41 PM

My 2001 honda civic is doing exactly the same
which one is the sensor?
and where is locTed?