Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   00 honda civic lx overheating (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/363634-00-honda-civic-lx-overheating.html)

jessicakaybby 04-19-2015 04:38 PM

00 honda civic lx overheating

Honda civic overheating after replacing head gasket, thermostat, hoses, radiator, upper o2 sensor, and catalytic converter. It only happens in stop in go traffic what could it be?

Stock 99 04-19-2015 05:13 PM

Re: 00 honda civic lx overheating

When the head gasket was replaced was the head checked for flatness? If it's warped and wasn't machined flat again then...well you probably need to do it again. The more often your car overheats the more likely the head gasket will need to be replaced regardless if it was just done. Other than that make sure the radiator fan is turning on when it needs to. You can jumper the switch to see if the fan is functional.

ezone 04-19-2015 06:24 PM

make sure the radiator fan is turning on when it needs to.
This.

Also see trapped air pockets and burping the system.

The more often your car overheats the more likely the head gasket will need to be replaced regardless if it was just done
This.

One overheat might be all that's needed to ruin all the work that was just done, even if it was done earlier the same day.

jessicakaybby 04-19-2015 09:11 PM

Well the mechanic said when i originally blew the head gasket i was lucky bc i turned my car off as soon as it happened and got it fixed the next day. He said that the motor was sound...no damage, but after that i drove it for awhile maybe a hour or two and then it was throwing the o2 sensor code so i changed that, ive been driving it only to and from work twice a week to keep it going but when i do drive it never goes past 3/4 mark and when it starts to i kick the heat on and it instantly goes down ,by that time I'm less than a mile away from my house i park it and let it sit for the day i don't ever push it.i have a second vehicle so if it needs to sit ill have it sit til i can get it fixed i think because I've been riding on the bad sensor and probably now the head like you said. ..that im doing alot of damage. so i guess the next step is the shop again I've had the car for 10 years and still purrs like a kitten i really hope i didn't just ruin my baby, not to mention i had other suspicions since day one something was wrong because after the head gasket was replaced the temperature gage bounced around alot and would take forever for it to say it was up to temp and it would mess with the motor shifting into 4th gear.

jessicakaybby 04-19-2015 09:36 PM

Also I've been noticing that my oil is low and im not close to a oil change looked under the cars and also looks like it's leaking from somewhere could that be from it running too hot? Bc i replaced the oil pan and gasket not that long ago either. Ever since the head gasket got replaced I've been having more problems and never had any serious problems before that ...not to mention i have 293000 on the original motor

ezone 04-20-2015 12:11 PM

I think your shop needs to be rechecking their work.

It seems they may not be finished with the job yet LOL

And at 300k I'd be questioning if it should have received a set of rings while it was apart, or if it would have been better to just stick a used engine in it with a bit of freshening up.