Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   98 Civic EX Gas smell (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/352336-98-civic-ex-gas-smell.html)

velozp 10-29-2012 10:24 AM

98 Civic EX Gas smell

Hello I have a 98 Civic EX coupe. I fill the tank every week and go on my commute 80 miles a day. When the pump handle stops, I stop and I have had no issues till last week . I filled the tank as I usually do and noticed a smell of gas when I got home. It seems some gas is leaking slowly from the top of the tank ? and is running down the back of it ( trunk side) what I can see. Once the tank gets to half their seems to be no leaking but can smell gas slightly at this point. Before I get it on the lift, any common issues to look for with leaking tanks, fuel lines, ETC?? I did search the site and only come up with a possible filler tank pipe rusting. Any assitance is appreciated.

ezone 10-29-2012 12:46 PM

Re: 98 Civic EX Gas smell

Where are you at? Rust belt?
Rust.

velozp 10-30-2012 04:33 PM

yes in massachusetts, any idea what it could be? a rotted tank scares me because the fuel pump is in the tank too right? could be some serious $$

ezone 10-30-2012 05:27 PM

That wouldn't mean the pump is bad. You can replace the tank and reuse the old pump if that's what it comes down to. But is that what it needs?

You need to get under the car and see what exactly is leaking. You may even need to let the straps down to lower the tank in order to see more.
Could be tubes or pipes, could be evap hoses, could be the tank itself.

some gas is leaking slowly from the top of the tank ? and is running down the back of it.....

Once the tank gets to half their seems to be no leaking but can smell gas
This makes me think it will be the tank itself, rusted out at the seam between the upper and lower halves.

velozp 11-04-2012 04:57 AM

thanks ezone Im bringing it to my buddies this week and puting it in the air. If its the tank, I figure replace the pump at the same time but I will let you know what I find.

ezone 11-04-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by velozp (Post 4623047)
I figure replace the pump at the same time but I will let you know what I find.

I can count on one hand all of the truly bad fuel pumps I have replaced in Hondas in the last 9 years, and have fingers left over.

I expect Hondas fuel pumps to last the entire lifetime of the car here.
These aren't GM's.
But if you stuff a cheapo parts store pump in it, you just turned it into a GM.

Fresh seals/gaskets, yes.
Pump? Probably not. Besides, the pump is easy to change if it ever goes bad, it's right under the back seat.