Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   199 Honda Civic Radio Code Error - Please Help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/217-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/312518-199-honda-civic-radio-code-error-please-help.html)

doug123 11-24-2008 08:46 PM

199 Honda Civic Radio Code Error - Please Help

:screwy:

Hi There,

Changed the battery in a 1999 Honda Civic SI. My god, what a mistake.

I need help getting the radio working again. Here are the steps I have performed.

1. Checked all over the car for the famous "code" that is supposed to be stuck somewhere. I cannot

find it, if it is on the vehicle.

2. Pressed 1 + 6 to try and retreive the serial number for the radio so that I could call in for

the "code". This didn't work.

3. Removed the bottom portion of the dash and having done this, I could see several numbers on the

stereo. I wrote these numbers down and called Honda customer support where I was given two "codes"

to enter. (thankfully I didn't have to remove the stereo, as the serial number was apparently

visible from underneath the dash. On this particular module the serial number is located on the

rear left portion of the stero when looking at the unit from the rear.

4. Entered code #1 and received an error.

5. Entered code #2 and again, received an error.

6. Called Honda customer support to verify the correct codes. They where confirmed.

7. Disconnected the battery and tried entering the codes again. This did not work.

8. Called the dealership with the serial number. Again, I was given the same codes. Big surprise.

Same system.

9. Disconnected the battery. (left for several minutes - the only way to clear the err attempts

that appear on the stereo.

10. Tried entering both codes again. Of course, no luck.

11. Honda customer support believes that the stereo has simply "died". This is not the case. It

has worked fine, until I changed the battery.

Might I add, to no particular contributation to this nightmare, when I purchased the battery the

Honda dealer informed me that there would be no problems with radio error codes. I would have done

this very differently had I know.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

:hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead::hithead::hith ead:

Vtec_power03 11-25-2008 12:22 AM

Re: 199 Honda Civic Radio Code Error - Please Help

I just had the same problem with my car today i have a 2003 honda civic ex. I entered the code once from the dealer and got the error and i turned the radio off and back on and entered it again and it came right on might try that if you have not already if so idk what to tell ya.

doug123 11-25-2008 07:02 AM

Yes, tried that.

Specific questions:

1) Where is the serial number located on a 1999 Honda Civic SI stereo?

(Maybe the number I gave them wasn't the serial - it retreived 2 five digit codes, so I don't think this is the case, but I'm after some tangible direction)

Thanks.

Vtec_power03 11-25-2008 01:15 PM

Was it the U number and the L number that you got cause thats the serial number. In my car its hold down 1 and 6 while the radio is off and while ur holding them down turn the radio on and it should come up if not idk bro.

doug123 11-25-2008 02:35 PM

Re: 1999 Honda Civic Radio Code Error - Please Help

Yes, tried the 1 + 6, but this didn't work.

No, the number begins with M4 and was found on the rear left of the radio when looking at it from the rear.

Vtec_power03 11-25-2008 06:25 PM

Huh idk then cause when i called to the honda dealer they told me they need the U and L numbers it was 8 numbers but im not sure what else to try. Sorry i could not help anymore bro tell me if you ever get it fixed.

doug123 11-26-2008 06:37 AM

thanks - what is "idk" ?

doug123 11-27-2008 09:34 AM

Bump!!!

Please help. I've got the dash torn apart and need to get this stereo working.

Someone on this forum MUST have gone through this. I cannot be the only Civic owner with this problem.

Bump!!

a123rat 11-28-2008 11:34 AM

Doug, idk means "I don't know"
The 1&6 trick only works on 2001 and newer civics.
Your 99 will need the serial # off the radio. Probably the m4+numbers.
pm me the # and I'll see if I can find something.

Fox04coupe 12-01-2008 12:42 AM

Dude.... here's a FREE solution. call honda support... the national number. Tell them your serial number on the car. They will most likely tell you aren't the registered owner of the car. They will have you fax a copy of your driver's license and the registration of the car to prove you are the owner. Fax it to the number they give you, then call them. After you are the proud new REGISTERED owner of the car, they will be more than happy to give you the radio code.

I tried to get the dealership to do this for me and they wanted a hundred bucks to do it. Do it yourself for free, won't take 30 minutes even. Good luck buddy.

doug123 12-01-2008 10:38 AM

Re: 1999 Honda Civic Radio Code Error - Please Help

Thanks, but I already did this!

Honda customer support was very good - didn't require any identification (which does beg the question - is this radio code thing complete B.S. - I think so) nevertheless, they provided two radio codes as I mentioned above, but neither worked.

I also called several dealerships, received the same codes based on the same serial number and neither work!

Should I completely remove the stereo from the car? The dealer wants $85.00 / hour and does not know what they will do differently than I have done. Needless to say, I'm a little stuck at this point.

baba gana 12-16-2008 05:31 AM

I bought a honda civic 2002 american model but i don`t know where to get the CD player code, the serial number of the CD player is CDZ24155954c

baba gana 12-16-2008 05:33 AM

I lost my honda civic 2002 american model CD player code with serial NO: CDZ24155954c

Psalm54 12-16-2008 10:40 AM

Yep... been there...i have a 02 EX Civic that i just bought... needed a new battery.... error code popped up, radio would not work... searched car.. nothing.... Took it down to the dealer... they pulled the radio, got the serial number... fixed the radio and gave me the code for future use... all for 55 bucks.

Fox04coupe 12-16-2008 12:52 PM

EVERYONE trust me, do what I said. Call honda america, you'll have to set up the registration in your name. they only gave me 1 code. It was the correct one. Y'all must be doing something wrong. You will have to register the car in your name first or they will think you are a theif and not give you the code.

If you pay the dealer that 85 you are crazy. Just get an aftermarket head unit at that price and have something better.

willswins 12-03-2010 11:42 PM

Please help - Stereo

i have a 2001 honda civic. Its battery went dead last month. Since then its been dead. Could someone please help me with the unlock code. Following are the codes that I got from the stereo.
U2537
L9805

Please help. Thanks a lot

crazyfool 12-24-2010 07:25 PM

I just bought a 99' Civic from a used dealer and had to get my radio code. Did just like Fox04coupe said below thanks to a friend who filled me in. Called Honda and let them know I was the new owner because when trying online it said the zip code was incorrect. Took about 5 minutes to talk to someone. After giving them the serial number from inside the glovebox I got my code!

It is WAY easier to call!

Originally Posted by Fox04coupe (Post 4371188)
EVERYONE trust me, do what I said. Call honda america, you'll have to set up the registration in your name. they only gave me 1 code. It was the correct one. Y'all must be doing something wrong. You will have to register the car in your name first or they will think you are a theif and not give you the code.

If you pay the dealer that 85 you are crazy. Just get an aftermarket head unit at that price and have something better.

MindBomber 12-24-2010 08:21 PM

Yup, it is way easier to call.

Sometimes dealers will try to charge people for giving out codes, which they have the right to since it takes staff times, but most dealers will do it for free.

iAmNumberSix 12-31-2011 04:36 PM

yo i have a 1999 honda civic but the radio is an acura radio. serial number is 96F303041. if anyone can help, please. thanks...

bee743 02-25-2012 09:22 PM

could you help me with my radio code?
ref. no. is cq-jh5812z
serial no. is m98f318402
thanks so much