Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   2005 Honda Civic stereo wiring question (specific) (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/296477-2005-honda-civic-stereo-wiring-question-specific.html)

tomjoyce 06-23-2007 11:01 AM

2005 Honda Civic stereo wiring question (specific)

Hi.
I have a 2005 Honda Civic ValuePackage (don't laugh). I'm planning to purchase a new head unit and install it myself. When looking at the wiring diagram from the new head unit (Pioneer DEHP3900MP) and the vehicle wiring chart from the12volt.com ... http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp~TID~86090 ... it appears as though there are more wires to connect to the factory stereo than the new aftermarket one. What do I do with the leftover stereo parts?

My car should have these wires (no tweeters installed):
+12V DC Battery(Constant), Switched Accessory, Ground, Illumination, Left Front +, Left Front -, Right Front +, Right Front -, Left Rear +, Left Rear -, Right Rear +, Right Rear -...

There is no mention of an antenna plug on the12volt ... i do have one separate that will fit my new Pioneer HU, right?

What do I do with the "Illumination" wire? Leave it unplugged from anything? ... please don't mention a wiring harness, I am going to do without. Don't worry, I am going to keep the factory wiring harness with the factory stereo, should I ever want to put it back in. Thank you for your respect of my wishes, and your help!

tomjoyce 06-23-2007 11:02 AM

Re: 2005 Honda Civic stereo wiring question (specific)

Oh shoot, that was my other question. Can I just connect the ground wire from the car to the ground wire on the Pioneer wiring harness that comes with the HU?

metalviper 06-23-2007 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok so you do know u still have to cut off the connector if arent going to use a harness. i suggest u break down, buy a cheap harness and make things so much easier. but are u saying ur new deck doesnt have an illumination wire? and ur antenna wire is separate from the harness. ur ground wire should be in the harness. maybe this will help

Cavity Wire Connects to
1 YEL/GRN Antenna module
2 YEL/RED ACC (Main stereo power supply)
3 - Not used
4 - Not used
5 PNK Right rear speaker (+)
6 BLU/WHT Left rear speaker (+)
7 GRN/YEL Passenger's door speaker (+), Right tweeter (+)
8 GRN/BLK Driver's door speaker (+), Left tweeter (+)
9 RED/BLK Lights-on signal
10 WHT/RED Constant power
11 - Not used
12 - Not used
13 - Not used
14 - Not used
15 BLU/YEL Right rear speaker (-)
16 BLU/BLK Left rear speaker (-)
17 GRY/RED Passenger's door speaker (-), Right tweeter (-)
18 LT GRN Driver's door speaker (-), Left tweeter (-)
19 RED Dash lights brightness controller
20 BLK Ground (G503)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...1&d=1182628265

speedfoos 06-23-2007 03:30 PM

^^^ Good post, but you're right. Screw all that splicing garbage and buy this off Ebay:

Honda Civic Stereo adapter harness thing

This way you don't have cut the factory harness off and it makes installs sooooo much easier.
I know you said not to mention a wiring harness, but why put yourself through all that hassle?

And it costs 8 bucks shipped to your door.

christmaspie 06-23-2007 06:08 PM

You don't have to cut the plug off if you want to hardwire but trust me, having done it plenty, you'd rather just use the harness.

electric130 06-25-2007 06:06 PM

buy a harness

darklegacy540 06-27-2007 05:05 PM

Why WOULDN'T you want to use a harness? Then it's just a matter of matching colors, then tape off what you don't need.
Done.
Metalviper: That's a sweet drawing.

speedfoos 06-27-2007 05:22 PM

If you cut your harness off, leave about 3 inches of wire off the end of it and sell it to me. The moron who owned my car before cut the harness off when he wired the car and I am not looking forward to when I have to upgrade the stereo.

tomjoyce 06-28-2007 11:42 AM

1. thanks guys but too late. I already cut the stock stereo harness off.
2. Sorry speedfoos, but I'm keeping it, and the stock stereo. I might put it back in when I go to college, if my parents don't let me take the car with me. I'm trying to do everything so I can return to stock, and take all my invested $$ with me. :-)

But thanks for the help guys, the stereo sounds GREAT! :-) With the factory stereo, I was missing a lot of the low notes on some songs I listen to (not even a distorted sound, a complete lack of sound where there should be sound)... and they now come through great, even with stock speakers. Don't worry, I'll be upgrading speakers soon and getting an amp and 2 subs.

metalshredder 06-08-2011 10:06 AM

Yep, it was a very bad decision to go this route. I'm in the same boat as Speedfoos, some jackass hard wired the radio before I got the car. I don't know if it was stolen or if the installer was just a retarded *******. Maybe both.

Anyway, can someone explain the function of Pin 1 for me? Is this to power the antenna booster or whatever it is? I'm having real shitty radio reception and i have a feeling that because they hard-wired, might have left it disconnected.

If this IS the pin that powers the antenna booster, would I hook it to....the power antenna lead on the radio, or what exactly?

electric130 06-08-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by metalshredder (Post 4542580)
If this IS the pin that powers the antenna booster, would I hook it to....the power antenna lead on the radio, or what exactly?

yes.

metalshredder 06-09-2011 07:30 AM

Well that didn't seem to help...

electric130 06-09-2011 06:07 PM

what didn't help? be more specific?:shrug:

metalshredder 06-09-2011 07:31 PM

Well, I hooked the remote turn on / power antenna wire (blue) from the back of the radio to pin 1, expecting this to power up tue antenna booster and give me radio reception, but, no such luck. No dice.

electric130 06-14-2011 05:03 PM

You have coupe or sedan?

metalshredder 06-14-2011 05:10 PM

It's the coupe.

jorge71 12-09-2015 11:20 PM

Sorry i have a mp3 from walmart is like a stereo just comming with the speakers wires and 4 other ones red ,black ,yellow and blue , i don't know jow i have to put the wires because the ep3 have 2 wires with power the first is white and red ,the second is yellow and red.thanks

civicnoob123 04-20-2020 01:37 PM

Hey guys - im losing my mind over here. I have a 2005 civic ex sedan and this all started when the stock radio threw a code. i figured id just replace the head unit. I got a cheap blaupunkt stereo but I dont think thats the issue. First things first the rear speakers dont work at all. wiring looks good but i haven't checked for a short. I tried switching positive and negative to see if the polarity was reversed and tried tying the rear speakers into the front speaker wires and still nothing. figured front speakers were fine for now until i could investigate more and now the head unit wont power on. whats going on? do I have a ground issue? a short somewhere? I also saw some posts of people tying the blue antenna wire into another - whats that about?

The wiring in my car is the left and the blaupunkt is the right (Application. | Honda Stock Color | Blaupunkt wire):
+12V DC Battery(Constant) | WHITE/ red | Yellow
Switched Accessory | Yellow/red | Red
Ground | Black | Black
Dimmer | Red | no match to connect- capped.
Illumination | RED / black | no match to connect - capped.
Left Front + | GREEN/ black | White
Left Front - | Light green | White/Blk Stripe
Right Front + | GREEN/ YELLOW | Gray
Right Front - | Gray/red | Gray/Blk
Left Rear + | Blue/white | Green
Left Rear - | Blue/black | Green/Blk
Right Rear + | Pink | Purple
Right Rear - | Blue / YELLOW | Purple/Blk
Power Antenna | N/A capped | Blue