Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   fatmat????? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/61963-fatmat.html)

LudlamTheory 11-07-2002 10:18 AM

fatmat?????

whats the deal with this stuff... anyone tried it? i was looking, and 100 sq feet is 100 bucks... thats pretty damn cheap for sound deadener... just curious if anyone's tried it

fonto 11-07-2002 10:20 AM

Yeah, I have been seeing the adds all over the place on this site!

KeeblaElf 11-18-2002 12:43 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: fonto
Yeah, I have been seeing the adds all over the place on this site![hr]
i got one of the samples (which is essentially the license plate kit) and it worked great...my license plate rattled CRAZY before it, and nothing now...I've been thinkin' of gettin' the bulk kit (100 sq. ft) cuz I wanna do the trunk and door panels, but wanted to know if anyone else had tried it out...

LiKEaFeRiO 11-18-2002 02:29 AM

the sample I got was about 3"x3". How did you use that on your license?

KeeblaElf 11-18-2002 12:19 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: LiKEaFeRiO
the sample I got was about 3"x3". How did you use that on your license?[hr]
i actually got two 6" x 12" pieces in my sample pack...basically two license plate kits, but i only had to use one...

ak 11-21-2002 12:12 AM

isn't 25 square feet enough for the entire trunk and 2 doors?

LudlamTheory 11-21-2002 01:43 AM

not if youre an obsessive =)
whenever i get to doing my car, every friggin inch will be plastered with that stuff

mohawkboom 11-21-2002 12:27 PM

25 sq.ft will do the 1 layer on trunk lid..and 1 layer on the door. 70sq.ft does the trunk and 2 doors [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

By looking at it..it's brown bread under a different name.. for those who have it.. is the sticky part of it slightly brown and does the aluminum top part tearif you try pressing it through a hole?

ak 11-21-2002 04:33 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom
25 sq.ft will do the 1 layer on trunk lid..and 1 layer on the door. 70sq.ft does the trunk and 2 doors [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

By looking at it..it's brown bread under a different name.. for those who have it.. is the sticky part of it slightly brown and does the aluminum top part tearif you try pressing it through a hole?[hr]
Is there any cheaper kind of dynamat replicas? Fat mat is cheap already, but JW if there's anything cheaper.

Perhaps Home Depot?

KeeblaElf 11-21-2002 08:50 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: mohawkboom

By looking at it..it's brown bread under a different name.. for those who have it.. is the sticky part of it slightly brown and does the aluminum top part tearif you try pressing it through a hole?[hr]
the sticky part is completely black (at least by my eye)...and ya, you can rip through the aluminum pretty easily in terms of making a whole (for like the screws in your license plates)...it seemed to help on my license, but I definitely needed 2 layers of it...it still rattled somewhat after 1 layer...

mohawkboom 11-22-2002 01:09 AM

okay..so i's not brown breead under a different name [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

Also license plates themselves don't resonate. The problem was your trunk flexing, causing your license plate to vibrate and make contact with the trunk. a piece of stick gasketing foam would have done the trick [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

Well besides FatMat, Brown Bread, Raamat, and B-quiet extreme(kinda junk) that's about it... Home depot's peal and seal is allright..but it's adhesive isn't that durable. McMaster.com has some heat shield stuff that supposedly works preetty good too but is hard to work with...

mohawkboom 11-22-2002 01:15 AM

Ohh okay... Fatmat is resisto roofing mat made in Ontario, comes in 50 and 100Sq.ft sizes (same as resisto) has the same dulled aluminum backing. This stuff is good!!. Resisto is a hair cheaper...but FatMat has to make their money too [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

It's a good product..and at the price it's pretty unbeatable for money to performance. But raamat60 is by far the easiest stuff to work with. Brown bread and FatMat are messy and do require heating for proper work and the aluminum backing rips pretty easy.

Brown bread and Fatmat are like Ractive parts... good products...but still a little inferior to say...AEM, or DC sports...

NitehawkVTEC 11-22-2002 02:08 AM

where can i buy Resisto roofing mat? if i can just go to Revy or something, it seems a lot easier than ordering BrownBread or Fatmat in...

ak 11-22-2002 10:10 AM

Looks like i'll be buying fatmat

sadboy916 11-25-2002 12:53 AM

dynamate is sooo much better than that stuff , you get what you pay for, at work we dont even carry that neither do any of are competitors