Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   Accidentally pulled on wire going from valve cover to EGR/somewhere else (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/373925-accidentally-pulled-wire-going-valve-cover-egr-somewhere-else.html)

lorenzoz 07-29-2018 07:31 PM

Accidentally pulled on wire going from valve cover to EGR/somewhere else

6 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

I was working on my 2004 Honda Civic EX and I accidentally pulled on a cable that was leading from the valve cover to the EGR and somewhere else.
I didn't break the connector piece but right below the connector.
I've attached a photo of what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how I can fix this but for now my car is immobilized. I'm too worried to turn it on.
Does anyone know what that part/piece is called and if I can replace it? Otherwise, the only other option I see is somehow soldering the wire back.
There seems to be 2 very thin wires that connected that piece. If anyone needs some more pictures, I can provide them but I'm very worried at the moment.

Thank you!

Colin42 07-29-2018 07:56 PM

Re: Accidentally pulled on wire going from valve cover to EGR/somewhere else

I think that's a coolant temp sensor
Try starting it, should hurt anything, computer will default to a set fuel table

lorenzoz 07-29-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4748640)
I think that's a coolant temp sensor
Try starting it, should hurt anything, computer will default to a set fuel table

Thanks for replying so quickly! I've attached some more pictures just for clarity.
I started the car and got an immediate check engine light. Left it idling for for two minutes or so.
The only thing I've noticed is when I lock my car with my key-fob, it won't register the 2nd press of the lock (where it beeps).
I haven't taken it for a drive but I might try that...

Confirmed - It's the coolant temp sensor based on this video. Here's the video on how to replace that bad boy
-

Thank you so much!

Colin42 07-29-2018 08:26 PM

Key fob issue should be unrelated.
so where exactly is the wire broken?

lorenzoz 07-29-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4748646)
Key fob issue should be unrelated.
so where exactly is the wire broken?

I attached 3 new images to the thread. I'm a bit stumped.
I looked at the video and well it seems that the sensor may be stuck in the hole because it's black.
It somehow snapped I suppose so I'm gonna have to take a look at that on how to get it out.
EDIT: Sorry for that dumb response earlier, there's no way a metal piece can snap off.
Just realized it's a 17mm bolt basically that screws right into that hole.
Would it be okay to drive the car for a day before replacing it?

Colin42 07-29-2018 09:02 PM

Oh you broke the sensor clean off!
ok yeah that's a super easy fix.
And yeah you'd be fine to drive the car with it broken.
You'll need sealant on the threads of the new sensor when you install it. Not sure if the sensor will have some on it from the factory