Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   HID issue! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/330723-hid-issue.html)

Rahway09 08-01-2010 11:33 PM

HID issue!

hey so i have just installed the HID kit on my 02 Honda civic ex and it works but the issue is that when the wires are set up one way only low beam works and when i move the red cable only high beam works this might be a simple issue but im a noob lol this is my first car fix ever

xRiCeBoYx 08-01-2010 11:46 PM

Re: HID issue!

I'm assuming you've plugged it (the HID kit) directly into your factory H4 harness, yes?

nmastereal 08-02-2010 01:51 AM

do you have dual beam hids? it sounds like you have single beam hids and are expecting it to do both

electric130 08-02-2010 10:05 AM

the H4 is ground switched. so there's a common hot, and low beam ground and high beam ground. make sure you're wired right.

Rahway09 08-05-2010 11:33 PM

XriceboyX = yes i did
nmastereal = how do i no if its dual beam hid?
electric130 = i wired it just like it says and switch the wires and either high beam works or low beams work not both

xRiCeBoYx 08-05-2010 11:39 PM

did the kit plug into all 3 sockets of the H4 harness or just 2 of em?

p.s. I'm kinda doing the 20 questions thing because I've never personally dealt with H4 HID kits, I've only dealt with H1 kits and my retrofit, so I'm trying to get a feel of how this is hooked up.

nmastereal 08-06-2010 01:19 AM

its prob a single beam if the answer to riceboys question is 2.

electric130 08-06-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rahway09 (Post 4482382)
XriceboyX = yes i did
nmastereal = how do i no if its dual beam hid?
electric130 = i wired it just like it says and switch the wires and either high beam works or low beams work not both

yes, that's correct. the high and low should never be on together on an H4 system. since they share the same power wire, if both were on at the same time, you can draw too many amps. plus, if both filaments are on inside a halogen H4 at the same time, it will get too hot and burn out the bulb. only cars with separate high and low beam bulbs (and separate housings) will allow the high and low beam to be on together. the only way around it is to make a relay harness to override this feature.

there are some kits out there that have 2 HID bulbs in one fixture. that's the "dual beam". those require a ballast for each arc tube. so unless you have 4 ballasts, you'll have a HID low beam and halogen high beam most likely.

Rahway09 08-06-2010 06:58 PM

oh ok thanks so then when i go for inspection i have to take them off ? and put the factory ones?