Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/328977-dash-instrument-panel-lights-out-after-new-stereo.html)

jaytbee 05-24-2010 11:44 PM

Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo

Earlier today I installed a new stereo in my 2001 civic. Everything worked just fine during the day, then when I went out tonight and turned my headlights on, no instrument panel lights lit up (dash gauges, temp controls). After a few seconds, I heard some pops and snaps, then smelled hot wires. It's too late/dark to check anything out now. Have I just blown a fuse, or did I destroy the whole circuit? Headlights and turn signals all still work fine. New stereo lights up and plays fine, too. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'll pull the illumination/dimmer wires in the morning when it's light, but I have a feeling that won't fix the problem. If I do find blown fuses, can I expect that to fix the problem, or is it likely that it's more serious than that?

RonJ 05-25-2010 12:28 AM

Re: Dash/Instrument panel lights out after new stereo

Well the illumination wire behind the radio burned up due to a short and the short blew the fuse. First repair the shorted wire and then replace the fuse.

CraigW 05-25-2010 06:54 AM

What you heard and smelled was in fact your electronic dimming control circuit contained inside of your cluster saying goodbye.

electric130 05-25-2010 08:30 AM

yep.

BlueEM2 05-25-2010 09:34 AM

That's one expensive head unit :(

xRiCeBoYx 05-25-2010 10:26 AM

that sucks.

jaytbee 05-25-2010 03:56 PM

I've just disconnected the orange wires and checked my fuses...none blown. So this electronic dimming control circuit, you say it's expensive. Are we talking like hundreds of dollars expensive? And how complicated of a DIY project would replacing it be if I decided to tackle it myself? Is it something that's best left to a trained person? I can get by with no dial and gauge lights at night (everything else works...indicator lights, ac, recirculation, and rear defrost lights...it's just the dials on my dashboard and temperature control lights that don't come on). Thanks for your help guys.

electric130 05-25-2010 04:07 PM

search around on here. there's threads about it as well as explanations on not connecting the dimming wire.

CraigW 05-25-2010 04:31 PM

Some have been able to repair the damaged printed circuit trace.

The part is not sold separate only as part of the cluster.