Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   capacitor (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/21-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/303252-capacitor.html)

burtonzt 12-26-2007 09:39 PM

capacitor

i have a performance tek 1200 amp pushing a fosgate t1 12" dual 4ohms with a 1.5farad capacitor and after having my music on for a while my amp turns off

i need your opinions...should i get a bigger cap like 10farad or get an yellow top optima battery?...my friend said i should get a bigger cap

0H3ebpEM2 12-26-2007 09:47 PM

Re: capacitor

bigger cap wont do anything for you. it just stores power from the batter for bigger bass hits. if your battery/alternator cant keep up their useless.

Check your ground and all your connections. Make sure their secure!
Your amp might be going into protect mode from clipping or lower voltage.

You could always get a HO alternator or try getting a dry cell.

electric130 12-27-2007 07:15 AM

your amp is more likely shutting down due to a problem, not lack of power and therefore, a bigger cap won't help as stated. "performance tek 1200" doesn't give any good results on google, so without knowing the specs of your amp, i can't help you troubleshoot any further. how hot is the amp when it shuts down? it may be going into thermal protection mode.

ryox82 12-27-2007 08:03 AM

My amps shut down sometimes during the summer so my first thought would be thermal. Also since I tuned the two amps and evened out the sound it doesn't seem to do that as much....in fact it hasn't at all in quite a while. Try turning the gain down on the amp. Also make sure that your box isn't sliding all over the trunk. You don't want those wires getting tugged on constantly.

ryox82 12-27-2007 08:03 AM

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums. Hope we can help out.

phuviano 12-27-2007 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ryox82 (Post 4274762)
You don't want those wires getting tugged on constantly.

Something you should have thought about before the install. I know I had my wires kept a bit longer so the box could move. Other than that, screw the box down. That would stop it from moving.

beadebaserr 12-27-2007 12:38 PM

caps aren't worth it at all. don't bother buying one. what you need to do is "the big three" upgrade. by that i mean upgrade the positive wire from your battery to your alternator, battery to chassis ground, and engine to chassis ground. a HO alternator wouldn't hurt, neither would a good battery.

ryox82 12-27-2007 01:40 PM

yup, I have that coming to me in the mail...having electric130 do it for me, didn't feel like making them.

ryox82 12-27-2007 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by phuviano (Post 4274787)
Something you should have thought about before the install. I know I had my wires kept a bit longer so the box could move. Other than that, screw the box down. That would stop it from moving.

That is what I did on mine. The wires were longer on mine too but a couple airborn launches inside the trunk and the power wire came out. A couple l brackets and 5 minutes saves that problem

electric130 12-27-2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by ryox82 (Post 4274826)
yup, I have that coming to me in the mail...having electric130 do it for me, didn't feel like making them.

yep. i got them done today. sorry for the delay. been kind of crazy getting back in the swing of things with work after the holidays.

ryox82 12-27-2007 01:59 PM

lol that is fine bro, I ordered 2 GB of ram for my macbook yesterday with 3 day shipping from newegg and that shit isn't getting here until the 2nd. Everything is getting delayed it seems still.