Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Suspension Performance Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications)
-   -   06+ Lowered Civic? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/201-suspension-performance-modifications/322289-06-lowered-civic.html)

dcKaz 10-08-2009 01:29 AM

06+ Lowered Civic?

I'm looking to lower my 06 sedan civic, so my question is what have you used? Lowering springs or a full coil over suspension? I can get 4 lowering springs from megan racing and its a 1.5" drop in both front and back for $130 or get a Skunk2 Full Coilover Systems - Pro S for $755.99. I know just buying springs is doing things half a$$ but its quite a bit cheaper then the other option. What do you all think? Save money or spend it now?

gearbox 10-08-2009 01:45 AM

Re: 06+ Lowered Civic?

just replacing springs is a terrible idea. the oem shocks will blow and sag, the ride will suck. if you go springs, you also need upgraded shocks that handle a drop. this way is almost as expensive as full coilovers. dont forget to factor in camber kits front/rear, install, and alignment for either option. it easily adds up to quite a bit. so save up and do it once the right way. the thing i dont like about full coilovers is its all one piece, so when the shocks blow, you have to buy whole new coilovers. with a separate spring/shock combo, all you do is replace the shocks. either option will last upto 5 yrs, so its money well spent. i went with separate spring/shock combo-eibach springs, tokico shocks, spc camber kit-and it ran me around $100 for used springs, $280 for used shocks, $125 for camber kit, maybe $100 for alignment, and another $250 for installing everything (its a 3-4 hr job). so even with cheaper parts, i still ended up paying around 800 to get it done properly. and 5 yrs later when i need shocks, it will cost maybe 600 for shocks and alignment again. but springs and camber kit hopefully should last for the life of the car. my advice is save up the first time. i rode with just springs and stock shocks for a couple years and hated the bouncy ride and the rear was sagging like crazy it looked terrible.

dcKaz 10-08-2009 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4439094)
just replacing springs is a terrible idea. the oem shocks will blow and sag, the ride will suck. if you go springs, you also need upgraded shocks that handle a drop. this way is almost as expensive as full coilovers. dont forget to factor in camber kits front/rear, install, and alignment for either option. it easily adds up to quite a bit. so save up and do it once the right way. the thing i dont like about full coilovers is its all one piece, so when the shocks blow, you have to buy whole new coilovers. with a separate spring/shock combo, all you do is replace the shocks. either option will last upto 5 yrs, so its money well spent. i went with separate spring/shock combo-eibach springs, tokico shocks, spc camber kit-and it ran me around $100 for used springs, $280 for used shocks, $125 for camber kit, maybe $100 for alignment, and another $250 for installing everything (its a 3-4 hr job). so even with cheaper parts, i still ended up paying around 800 to get it done properly. and 5 yrs later when i need shocks, it will cost maybe 600 for shocks and alignment again. but springs and camber kit hopefully should last for the life of the car. my advice is save up the first time. i rode with just springs and stock shocks for a couple years and hated the bouncy ride and the rear was sagging like crazy it looked terrible.

How would i go about searching for spring/shocks and knowing they are compatible together, Do i just make sure the shocks fit on my car then i can find a set of springs to fit that? Thanks again

gearbox 10-08-2009 02:22 AM

usually springs are easy, you just find one that fits your car and has the amount of height drop you want (anywhere from 1-3 inches). then find a shock that can handle the drop without breaking and also that fits your car. you need to see how much of a drop the shocks are rated for. for example the tokico blue HP shock is max of 1.7 inch i believe. the spring and shock will always be compatible with each other if they are compatible with the car. but you need to be sure the shock can handle the amount of drop the spring gives.

dcKaz 10-08-2009 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4439111)
usually springs are easy, you just find one that fits your car and has the amount of height drop you want (anywhere from 1-3 inches). then find a shock that can handle the drop without breaking and also that fits your car. you need to see how much of a drop the shocks are rated for. for example the tokico blue HP shock is max of 1.7 inch i believe. the spring and shock will always be compatible with each other if they are compatible with the car. but you need to be sure the shock can handle the amount of drop the spring gives.

Got any good online shops to browse around

gearbox 10-08-2009 02:16 PM

hmm try dezod.com i think they are still in business. sometimes ebay has good deals but you gotta watch out cause theres alot of fake parts floating around

dcKaz 10-08-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4439218)
hmm try dezod.com i think they are still in business. sometimes ebay has good deals but you gotta watch out cause theres alot of fake parts floating around

Ekk may have to just stick with the full coil over set. A lot of companies are not to popular of my car. Being sedan #1 and #2 being non si and #3 them making a Si model of my sedan a year later aka 07 lol.