Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Lx to Ex (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/41387-lx-ex.html)

PlatCruiser 06-18-2002 07:20 PM

Lx to Ex

looking for anyone that has upgrade their motor from the Lx to Ex.

Here are the questions. Since the both motors have the same displacement 1.7 what would stop me from just swapping the entire Ex head to my Lx block to get vtec and a few more ponies? Does the Lx have the wiring for vtec? are the block different in anyway? I don't see why this wouldn't be possible unless the head or block is drastically different then the other....... what bout the intake and exhuast manifolds? will those fit as well?

any other tips/tricks needed? post em

johnride 06-18-2002 07:24 PM

I don't think it would be worth the money but hey it is your money. I would just put in a bigger motor.

dragoon 06-18-2002 07:32 PM

dude... why would you swap from a LX to a EX - for 12hp? there are better and more cost-efficient ways to get 12hp.

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE 06-18-2002 07:35 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: dragoon
dude... why would you swap from a LX to a EX - for 12hp? there are better and more cost-efficient ways to get 12hp.[hr]

actually no...those 12 hp are real 12 hp, always there and not some bs aftermarket company that claims 8-15 hp increase. i wouldnt do it if i was stuck with an lx though. id invest in a custom turbo, or juice.

ShadyMilkMan 06-18-2002 07:49 PM

I have researched this alot and ended up not doign it for the following reasons
1. When completed it would run around 3000 dollars
2. It was dynoed and ex's only have 2 more hp then the lx
3. Better compresion ratios on the lx for a turbo
4. Not worth the time and money.

However if you still want to do it heres what you need:
Intake manifold
Ecu
Tranny
Head
Block
Header
Exhaust
Ex Sway Bar

And someone to drop that baby in, its a sraight swap uses all the same mounts but is a lil more expensive if ur going from an automatic to a manual or vise versa. And wiring the new ecu and all that. Not all that hard just not worth the 2 hp and 3 grand

djlunatic 06-18-2002 07:56 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: PseudoChrist

Intake manifold
Ecu
Tranny
Head
Block
Header
Exhaust
Ex Sway Bar

And someone to drop that baby in, its a sraight swap uses all the same mounts but is a lil more expensive if ur going from an automatic to a manual or vise versa. And wiring the new ecu and all that. Not all that hard just not worth the 2 hp and 3 grand[hr]
plus a different cat convertor:tup:

PlatCruiser 06-18-2002 09:12 PM

hrm ok so lemme get this straight....I can see the need for the PCM and head, but why the block? why the tranny? exhuast makes somewhat sense....I guess I need to stick my head underneath an ex hood. I can do the swap myself, I am some what mechanically inclined with a FSM.

But since I someone mention turbo, who makes a kit for the lx? or even a supercharger for that matter. And also what is the compression ratio of this lx motor? sorry for the questions but this is my younger brothers car, I'm trying to help him get more HP and TQ.

thanks for the posts so far.

PRCIVIC2001 06-18-2002 10:14 PM

This upgrade wouldn't be a good one for the money. I would start off with Inake, headers and exhuast first to get some ponies.

TeamOutrage 06-18-2002 10:25 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: PseudoChrist

Intake manifold
Ecu
Tranny
Head
Block
Header
Exhaust
Ex Sway Bar

And someone to drop that baby in, its a sraight swap uses all the same mounts but is a lil more expensive if ur going from an automatic to a manual or vise versa. And wiring the new ecu and all that. Not all that hard just not worth the 2 hp and 3 grand[hr]

for 3000 cant you just get a bigger engine?

RedDragon333 06-18-2002 11:22 PM

The swap is truly n ot worth the money go with a custom turbo non one makes them...yet still debating as to whether they ever will but you also could go with nitrous or maybe the gude head package for half the money and twice the power

tummyboy 06-19-2002 12:49 AM

IF its not DOHC Vtec its not worth having VTEC plain and simple

01civ01 06-19-2002 02:19 AM

all you need to swap is the head, ecu, vtec solenoid and wiring harness. it uses the same block, intake manifold and exhaust will fit. the trans will work the same.

PlatCruiser 06-19-2002 02:45 AM

ahhhh 10 posts and only 1 answered my question....thank you 01civ01

I don't plan on buying these parts new, the junkyard is your friend [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

civ do you know of a how-to to aid my research [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I know turbos are great yada yada yada, but my bro is young and he needs to start somewhere, not with a custom turbo set-up. They can get pretty pricey, especially when you don't know how to take care of em. I thought of nitrous, but him with nitrous is dangerous. I've used it in my car for 2 years but him, dunna know bout that.

I figure swapping to get vtec would make more power than the intake,header, exhuast combo or damn near it. I'm positive I could find it pretty cheap. He just did an AEM intake. To say the least I'm not impressed at all, IMO the only thing he gained was some noise, that car falls flat on its face by 5k rpms.

Cristo 06-19-2002 09:53 AM

sell your LX and buy an ex...........problem solved

hondamexicano 06-19-2002 09:54 AM

Why not just trade the LX for an EX. Plain and simple, plus you get the ABS brakes and other extras.

Difference is only 2HP? doubt it, 115hp vs. 127hp? There is a difference in both engines at high rpms, though the difference does not make the EX but a little faster than the LX...

bhayes82 06-19-2002 10:18 AM

pseudo -- why would the transmission need replacement? AFAIK, both the 5-speed and auto are identical in both models.

speaking of a tranny swap, anyone considering the hybrid's CVT? would this be possible?

TwilightX 06-19-2002 10:27 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: tummyboy
IF its not DOHC Vtec its not worth having VTEC plain and simple[hr]
That isn't entirely true...the 6t and 5th gen SOHC VTEC engine were quite potent and highly underrated...you'd be surprised what they could pull out, and how well they responded to modifications...

T-X

4one1 06-19-2002 12:07 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: TwilightX

[hr]Originally posted by: tummyboy
IF its not DOHC Vtec its not worth having VTEC plain and simple[hr]
That isn't entirely true...the 6t and 5th gen SOHC VTEC engine were quite potent and highly underrated...you'd be surprised what they could pull out, and how well they responded to modifications...

T-X[hr]

I've seen SOHC-VTEC turbocharged engines run mid 14's........... which is not very great......

TwilightX 06-19-2002 12:46 PM

Well, you're not going to get a 10 second car out of a single overhead cam, but they do perform reasonably - that's more what I meant...they ARE decent and still worth while to own.

T-X

PlatCruiser 06-19-2002 12:52 PM

I now wonder why i even bothered to post this, you people do not read.....

This is not my car, my brother does not want to sell it!!!!!

All I asked was had anyone done the head swap and what they needed in parts.....

I don't care whether you prefer one cam or two, I don't care on your personal opinion of selling the car.

If you know where I can find info on how to do this swap great, if not please save it for another topic. thank you

APS 06-19-2002 01:23 PM

Just grab yourself a bunch of D size model rocket engines....then when your ready for some boost.....buckle up, and let them rockets rip!!!!! At least 100hp to the wheels.

ShadyMilkMan 06-19-2002 06:31 PM

I said that you would prolly want to buy a tranny if u want to go from atuo to manual. Also the intake manifold is NOT the same ont he ex than the lx, the lx is smaller therfor a new intake manifold would be needed.