Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   anybody seen the spoiler on the hybrid? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/40714-anybody-seen-spoiler-hybrid.html)

wishihadavtec 06-14-2002 01:20 PM

anybody seen the spoiler on the hybrid?

it looks like a mini nascar spoiler or soemthing, i dont really like it, any other opinions?

Duckor 06-14-2002 01:23 PM

post a pic, mwahahahaha

symmetry 06-14-2002 01:32 PM

I've seen it, I don't understand a spoiler on a hybrid car that has 97hp. Of course what room do I have to talk, I have one on my stock ex.

OverTheTop 06-14-2002 01:33 PM

I saw it an kinda liked it. Clean not to racey!!

tikerz 06-14-2002 01:48 PM

The whole point of the Hybrid was to go far without using much oompf. Honda tweaked the body to lower the drag coefficient. That's what the spoiler is for. Not for looks.

iamfob 06-14-2002 04:33 PM

i think that spoiler is pretty good..if my car didnt come with spoiler when i bought it, i might get the Hybrid spoiler cuz it is quite unique

Krepoort 06-14-2002 04:55 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: tikerz
The whole point of the Hybrid was to go far without using much oompf. Honda tweaked the body to lower the drag coefficient. That's what the spoiler is for. Not for looks.[hr]
http://civichybrid.honda.com/images/...tos_popup6.jpg

Lowering drag on 97 HP? Hmmm.. :susp:

-Kre

symmetry 06-14-2002 04:58 PM

My thoughts exactly! thank you kre:tup:

Duckor 06-14-2002 05:08 PM

you can lower drag on anything..
because it only has 97hp means that it can use less drag more than other cars.
VW made a 1 cylinder engine and they had to make it as aerodynamic as possible because if it wasnt, it would struggle with what little power it had.

symmetry 06-14-2002 05:13 PM

right but a rear spoiler causes drag to keep the rear end stable and on the ground. it causes down force for traction

plastic 06-14-2002 06:34 PM

kinda small.. but nice, and i bet its too expensive for that lil thing :shake:

merz 06-14-2002 08:45 PM

Actually 2 of you guys are right in different ways.

Spoilers like the one on the hybrid AND the stock OEM Honda spoilers (sorry guys) ARE to lower air drag, make the car more aerodynamic (thus use less gas per mile pushing it through the air) they are NOT for any kind of downforce on the rear. Their job is to help cleanly close the hole in the air you make when you drive - so the vacuum created doesn't suck off your speed.

The first use of the standard type Honda OEM "spoilers" like we still see today was on their high milage, efficiency models back 20 years ago - not for high speed stick to the ground stuff.

Other spoilers (like the big winged ones used on real race cars) are set up to increase drag (by sticking up in to the airflow) this drag will push the back of the car down increasing traction or grip on the road in the back end. This type of spoiler will consume energy (give you less mileage) and reduce top speed of the car (the compromise on race cars is the added control the spoiler downforce gives making the car stick to the road).

Check out some of the specs on 200MPH supercars with big wings - half their horsepower is consumed at speed by the wings but they are generating a couple thousand pounds of pressure keeping the thing on the ground.

fraga 06-14-2002 09:54 PM

That spoiler is hilarious. It looks like the car has a small peenis or something. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] You must excuse me please...I mean I'm not a fan of the big F-16 wings or anything, but if your gonna put one on, at least have it look like a spoiler and not a piece of paint that's lifting off the car.

01Ex 06-15-2002 03:19 AM

So then it is safe to say that all the "ricers" that put those huge metal wings on there cars are doing it for no reason. we have front wheels drive. no need to put a wing like that on. May be put one on the front hood. May be i shouldn't have said that. now you will see people doing that. kinda like my friend that drives around with slicks on the back of his car. ya its a civic. he thinks its funny........

NickDaMans02Civic 06-15-2002 03:55 AM

LOL that spoiler is wow humm I wouldn't get it HAHA

Nick

symmetry 06-15-2002 09:55 AM

well, I do stand corrected on the one for the hybrid. but there is still use for one on the rear of a front wheel drive, it keeps the tires/back of car on the ground stopping you from getting lift off and losing control.

LeroyBrown 06-15-2002 11:22 AM

how much hp did that one cylinder engine make?

Duckor 06-15-2002 04:22 PM

something like 8bhp at 4000rpm

merz 06-16-2002 12:11 AM

Check out the tiny spoilers on the new BMW M3 - it's just a urethane (I believe) lip about an inch tall as well... not the Honda-like one of earlier years. Actually these remind me of the Audi 4000 Quattro spoilers of years past.

iamfob 06-16-2002 01:44 AM

yes i love the M3 spoiler...so nice
i saw a vw jetta got that spoiler installed and the whole car looks sick....way better than the one without spoiler

FamilyMan 06-16-2002 01:53 AM

I don't care about the spoiler, but I sure like the Hybrid's tail lamps.