Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Chrome Header - Bad Decision? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/40428-chrome-header-bad-decision.html)

zetaR 06-12-2002 10:04 PM

Chrome Header - Bad Decision?

I have an 01 LX, so after extensive research, the only header I found that is made for the LX was from Kamikaze (Chrome). I went ahead and ordered it, it's been paid for, and should be here any day now. I then found out after I ordered it that there was also a ceramic coated one. Well, I don't really want to go through the ordeal of returning the chrome, paying for more shipping, plus a restocking fee, and then waiting on the ceramic one (which costs more than chrome as well), so did I make a bad purchase? Is it possible for me to coat it myself before installing it? I've also seen some stuff that wraps around the pipes to keep it cooler? Comments or suggestions please.

civicvtec1ps 06-12-2002 10:10 PM

chrome will work fine dont worry about it

Macko 06-12-2002 10:25 PM

Hmm.. won't the chrome get messed up.. if you redline alot and the extreme heat from the engine output burn the scorch the header? you know it gets discoloured...?

Bartkat 06-12-2002 10:27 PM

Yeah just stick with the chrome one. That's classic.

Kamakazie claims more HP gains than the other brand too.

zetaR 06-12-2002 10:28 PM

I heard about the discoloring, but someone told me that as long as the engine was tuned properly, then it wouldn't cause as much discoloration, and that it would last longer.

Bartkat 06-12-2002 10:32 PM

They won't discolor much, but again, the bluish turn of color is also classic. If you put a heat shield above the header nobody will see any color turn.

Besices, ceramic coatings can chip and crack.

Wanger 06-12-2002 10:34 PM

i would totally rather have some discolored chrome than some cracked ceramics for a header.

VNlilMAN 06-12-2002 11:32 PM

ya i would just keep the chrome. btw how much was it?

FamilyMan 06-13-2002 12:40 AM

Chrome will be fine. It will blue. No big. I recommend that you wrap that header anyway. You will notice an improvement in performance and stuff under your hood (wires, hoses, starter, alternator, etc.) will last longer with less heat. Thermo-Tec is the brand I am familiar with. Here's one link and here's Thermo-Tech's Website. Enjoy your header.

Captain 06-13-2002 01:19 AM

Stainless steel will also last longer than the ceramic.....You made a good choice[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

FamilyMan 06-13-2002 01:48 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Captain
Stainless steel will also last longer than the ceramic.....You made a good choice[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][hr]
Cap: he said "chrome" not stainless steel. I've never heard of chroming stainless. If the chrome chips, which it always does due to road debri and heat, etc. the header won't last as long as ceramic. It's a toss up at best and still best to wrap it.

zetaR 06-13-2002 09:49 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: VNlilMAN
ya i would just keep the chrome. btw how much was it?[hr]
$275.00 - importparts.com