Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Newbie needs CAI (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/39411-newbie-needs-cai.html)

symmetry 06-06-2002 12:04 PM

Newbie needs CAI

Ok, there are so many different ones out there and soo many different prices. What would y'all recommend for my EX 4dr? I want the most power possible but $$ is always an issue (I'm married) if ya know what I mean.

FroggerDude 06-06-2002 12:14 PM

search! lotz of stuff about that.
aem, injen
auto --> sri
manual --> cai

mullinad 06-06-2002 12:16 PM

i got an AEM cAI for an EX, and I love it...

ph0ng 06-06-2002 12:58 PM

dryer hose and duct tape!

just pop one end onto your TB and bring the other end down to your radiator... The radiator acts as your air filter, plus you get ram air! What more can you ask for.

symmetry 06-06-2002 01:24 PM

Right, dryer hose and duct tape. You got the cheap part down. I could use a furnace filter instead of the radiator and that'd give me a custom lower grill. Sweet.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

Lianjie 06-06-2002 01:28 PM

i got a 2dr ex 5spd with a AEM CAI and i love it...it's pretty loud too when ur in the high rpm range, and i think im gonna convert it to sri during winters

plastic 06-06-2002 01:32 PM

only way to do it is AEM.. nothing less.. it'll be well worth the money saved up :tup:

sumama 06-06-2002 01:42 PM

hey, you dont need a aem intake. the only benefits of the aem is the filter it comes with. the rest is just piping. dont waste $200 on it. just buy a generic intake and replace the filter and save mucho dinero

FroggerDude 06-06-2002 01:52 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: sumama
hey, you dont need a aem intake. the only benefits of the aem is the filter it comes with. the rest is just piping. dont waste $200 on it. just buy a generic intake and replace the filter and save mucho dinero[hr]
the piping actually helps the air flow smoothly.

gurneelx 06-06-2002 02:10 PM

love my aem cai. bad a$$

Silla 06-06-2002 02:27 PM

No way, Injen is the best, feel the power and get way better sound. It's only 200 bucks for the race division!!:tup:::tup:

CapYoda 06-06-2002 03:40 PM

I'll go with the generic idea if you want to save money.

the only thing I'm concern about is the pipping's smoothness, and the filter quality.

buy a cheap ebay AEM knock-off (appearantly the pippings aren't ceramic coated that much to insulate heat as AEM's... BUT how long is the air going to stay in the pipping anyway?) and slap on a K&N filter.

as long as the pipping is mandrel bent, which I can't imagine any intake not being... since its really pretty cheap to make these pippings... it should be fine.

now you may have imperfect fitment... but hey you save a hundred bucks or more.

and why do you need a CAI anyway? if you want performance... simple bolt-ons are kinda not the way to go.