Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   new product, worth the money? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/39006-new-product-worth-money.html)

NoBottleJustThrottle 06-03-2002 11:59 PM

new product, worth the money?

So, i saw an ad in an import mag (i forget which one) for THIS with a picture of our car on the ad, and if i can remember correctly, it said new application the D17 motor. What do you guys think about this? I looked around the site and couldnt find an application chart, but is it even worth my time? It says strong torque curve, more power...both good things...let me know what you guys think
Peace~

Jon 06-04-2002 01:06 AM

I've never heard about that before but from reading the info I question the amount of increase for our SOHC motors...:susp:

01civ01 06-04-2002 02:38 AM

not worth it, too change piston rings you have to strip the engine down to just the block, and you won't notice any gains, these are for more modified engine. and with the amount of labor you will pay to change rings you might as well get a stroker kit made and a custom high compression head.

AEMcivic 06-04-2002 12:23 PM

This is what the guys at the Honda-Tech Forums had to say about gapless rings....
Are gapless rings worth it???

2k2civicRAY 06-04-2002 05:36 PM

Aight let me throw some psychology at ya, if you look where it talks about the wear on the rings, it says that a conventional high performance ring wore the gap down 20%, but their product only has a 2% wear. They merely fool your mind into making you think the gap is actually smaller for their product, but really its just the same picture with that little ring thing underneath it. Okay thats enough of me being smart, but really what good would this do unless you modified the Sh$% out of your car.....which we can't do because no one wants to make parts for it yet.

Bartkat 06-05-2002 02:59 AM

I thnk they are claiming 20% blow by and 2% blow by, not the percent change in the gap. They are also citing the ring gaps and wear before and after 10 races. So it appears they are doing their tests in some sort of all out race car. Probably not something you need in an everyday street machine. I believe you have more than one ring anyway and the gaps are staggered so they don't all line up anyway.

bhaz413 06-06-2002 04:55 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: NoBottleJustThrottle
So, i saw an ad in an import mag (i forget which one) for THIS with a picture of our car on the ad, and if i can remember correctly, it said new application the D17 motor. What do you guys think about this? I looked around the site and couldnt find an application chart, but is it even worth my time? It says strong torque curve, more power...both good things...let me know what you guys think
Peace~[hr]

get it, take apart your engine, and see if they work.

Bartkat 06-06-2002 07:30 PM

bhaz

There you go. Maybe do heads and intake manifold and pistons at the same time. No use just chaning rings. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

I see you have the ignition blaster. How do you like that? See any performance improvement?