Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Painting And Installing Body Kit (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/38637-painting-installing-body-kit.html)

Aznnp77 05-30-2002 08:00 PM

Painting And Installing Body Kit

I know the basics on body kit paint. You pay more for a quality job, and it should cost just as much as the kit right? Well right now I'm trying to find a shop that can paint my xenon sides and rear for me. My dad, who knows nothing about cars, told me to take it to Maaco. Don't know why, but that just seems like a bad idea to me. I know you guys are just gonna tell me to go to a body shop, probably will too, but I wonder what's so bad about Maaco? Also, what's the cheapest I can get the kit painted for, but not end up with a crappy finish? I was reallly hoping to spend like $200-$300. Is installling the kit easy? My friends dad whos an auto body mechanic refused to do it for some reason. I thought it was basically just a couple of screws and some double sided tape. Is it something I can do by myself or should I also leave that to a professional? I'd hate to have to leave me car somewhere for a week.

INCAEXtacy 05-30-2002 08:49 PM

:eek:Doode what ever you do, do not take you car to Maaco. I hate to say it but it is true, you pay for what you get. The thing with Maaco is that their prep before they paint is not that great, thus making the outcome of theire work not to good. Putting on a body kit is not that hard, whit the help of friends is can be a fun learning experience. It sould not be to hard to find a shop to paint and put and put it on for you.

Bartkat 05-30-2002 09:02 PM

It shouldn't cost more than $300 to do a whole kit. Just the rear and sides, maybe $150 to $200.

We have an exellent body shop here and the guy does his own show cars. He priced me $150 to prep and paint a front bumper cover, and that's the biggest part of a body kit.

I agree that Maaco is not a good idea. I agree with Inca. The best paint in the world will be crummy with a poor prep job.

Aznnp77 05-30-2002 09:05 PM

I scratched up the side of my Tsunami lip kinda bad. It has these lines on it now. I touched it up a bit, but definitely wanna redo it. He cant just sand off the scratched part can he?

RedDragon333 05-30-2002 09:46 PM

Macco is a BAD plan when it comes to this scene you WILL ALWAYS GET what you pay for you want to go the cheap way out youll regret it and end up spending more to do it again...i would save up for a bit longer and get the job done right the first time leave no room for second tries...go somewhere that you can see their work...thats what i did

Aznnp77 05-31-2002 12:06 AM

I got a question about install now. My Magnaflow muffler it actually touching my back bumper. When I put my rear lip on how will I get the muffler to fit? Is there a lower hanger or do I cut a big oval somehow?

oblivious9 06-01-2002 12:37 PM

DO NOT TAKE IT TO MAACO!!! My friends mom just took her accord to get one of the panels painted because they offered a lower price and said it would match. Needless to say when she got her car back, the newly painted panel does not match the rest of her car. Their excuse...it's an old car and the paints faded although it is garage kept and they said it would match.

TEKNIQ 06-02-2002 11:38 PM

I about Sh!t my pance when my friend told me he bought a Tsunami bumper, painted and installed for $900 .....what a loser......He got jipped big time.....

kristy 06-03-2002 03:57 PM

I got my kit painted and installed at my honda dealers' body shop, they had my car for about 3 days. Think I paid around umm...damn cant remember...$350 or $450 forget which. Pretty happy with the results too.

Oh yeah: $900?? wtf, your friend smoke cracK?