Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Took my Magnaflow to the shop today... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/38467-took-my-magnaflow-shop-today.html)

RunawaySoul 05-29-2002 07:37 PM

Took my Magnaflow to the shop today...

For those with Magnaflow cat-back, you know how low it hangs right? Well I took it in today to have it looked at cause God knows that's just too low. The dude was very knowledgable. He says the piping is too long, therefore pushing it towards the rear, leaving a gap between the car and the pipe. That explains why it's so low. He's having to cut off the part that connects to the cat, and pull it forward, lifting it much closer to the car. He noticed that it vibrates a lot, and found that there's a hanger that located right after the stabilizer bar. Mine was not there. I saw the installation process when it was installed a month ago, and the guy used all of the clamps and hangers. Either the guy forgot to take it off my old exhaust or Magnaflow came up short. There is an empty slot where a hanger used to be. Anyway, he's going to cut off the part that connects to the cat, bring it forward and re-connect it. He's also going to take off the clamps and weld the pipes together. He's charging around 90 bucks. Just thought it might be of some help.

Also, if he cuts off that peice and brings it forward, I wonder if it'll rattle against the stabilizer bar? There's only 1 inch of space between the pipe and the bar...

Wanger 05-29-2002 07:44 PM

i know it's low, but i trust magnaflow before anyone else. they have to have a purpose for making it low like that.

RunawaySoul 05-29-2002 07:47 PM

I've no doubts of their performance. I love it. It's not perfect though. Even though I trust magnaflow, I do not believe that it has to hang so low I can't get over basic speed bumps. It hits the street over every railroad track. There's even 1 inch of space between the the top of my dad's driveway and the pipe. Sorry, this needs fixing

Mbow 05-29-2002 09:01 PM

I have never scraped on anything. My car is not lowered though. I don't think the length of the piping has anything to do with the system hanging low.

RunawaySoul 05-29-2002 09:51 PM

Makes perfect sense to me, it makes a sharp turn to the convertor. If the pipe is too long, there's no place to go but towards the ground. I'm the only one having this problem? Maybe I should move to Indianapolis. That place is flatter than most fashion models today.

JKEEZO 05-29-2002 10:21 PM

i have no trouble with mine now (i did but i flipped the u-bolt the right way [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] )

i would if i had it lowered at all though :eek:

JKEEZO 05-29-2002 10:22 PM

and i only scraped my driveway with the u-bolt the wrong way because my driveway is seriously the STEEPEST damn driveway ever

ill take a pic of it sometime

RunawaySoul 05-29-2002 10:26 PM

I wouldn't lower mine at all the way it is now. I say there's about 3 inches of clearance between the road and my pipe. That woud leave about 1 inch of clearance if I lower my car. Heeeeeeeell no. My U bolts are facing sideways, for those curious.

AllEyezOnMe 05-29-2002 11:23 PM

ya i hear u bro...mine scrapes on all speed bumps, because my car is lowered. Well that is a consequence i'm going to have to deal with. Yes, my pipe did rub against the stabalizer bar. I took the car in twice to the muffler shop, and the first time they fixed it, but it only lasted a good hour and continued to rub against the stabilizer bar. However, the second time the dude heated up my pipe and then bent it over to the side to fix the problem and now there is alot more room than before. After all that, I am pleased with the exhaust, although, it is to quiet for me. Also, I haven't had a problem with the pipe rubbing against the stabilizer bar again. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Aznnp77 05-29-2002 11:23 PM

Same here. That's my excuse for not lowering. I have 3 inches from the pipe to the ground as well. If I go over a bump slow it thumps. Sounds bad, but the pipe is still fine. Good quality pipes :tup:. I've hit like 70 bumps since I got the exhaust and its still fine.

Mbow 05-29-2002 11:30 PM

hmmm....I haven't had a problem with mine. I have a sedan and the pipes are welded at all the joints except at the cat. I will have to take a look tomorrow and measure how much clearance I have.

aliased 05-29-2002 11:39 PM

yeah i had a huge problem with the mid pipe hanging so low. i just took it to a muffler shop and got it welded. paid 30 bucks for the job. and have no problems with scratching anymore

plastic 05-30-2002 01:27 AM

thats weird.. i don't have any problems with scraping at all, and most houston streets are crummy. the only problem i had was with the tilt appearance of the muffler itself, so i went and got the pipe bent to move the tip upwards. while i was at it, i had all the pipes welded together..no more clamps[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]