Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Magnaflow cat-back adds 10hp to the wheels??? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/37889-magnaflow-cat-back-adds-10hp-wheels.html)

StreetLevelPerformance 05-25-2002 01:49 PM

Magnaflow cat-back adds 10hp to the wheels???

Hey guys I found this guy on clubsi trying to say that the Magnaflow cat-back gives 10hp to the wheels on a 2k1civic. I asked him for a dyno sheet and why the exhaust works so well. Here is his response:

I have been waiting myself to get a copy of the dyno sheet I can download.....it seems to be taking our R&D Department a little longer then usual. The results are a result of us letting the car breathe....for what ever reason, Honda decided to put on a really restrictive exhaust system from the factory which we were able to open up quite a bit. Most of the time, as on the RSX and RSX type S, whose dynos are posted on our website, we are only able to get about 6 or 7 hp at the front wheels on sport compact cars. We did nothing to change the ULEV restrictions the car came with as everything we touched on the car was after the catalytic converters....Really it was like the Mustang Cobra that we got over 25hp at the wheels with just a cat back system, which graph is also posted on our web site, sometimes a factory system is so restrictive or we happen to get just the right angles so that we see some incredible hp gains.
On the other hand, on the Focus, 2001 DX Civic, and the PT Cruiser we only got a 7hp increase at the front wheels. The system has a suggested list price of about $450. It is all stainless steel, including the welds, and has a life time warranty on both the construction and the sound of the muffler.
Our company is also ISO certified, meaning we are in compliance with the International Standards of Operating quality. We are the only aftermarket exhaust system in the world that is ISO certified which means every product that leaves our plant is of the highest quality.

I can tell you the car made 105 at the front wheels stock, and we bumped it up to 115hp
The car made 101 tq at the front wheels and we bumped it up to 108.
dbs
at idle stock was 61 dbs...our system is 63 dbs
at 3000 rpm stock was 78 dbs...our system is 83dbs
As far as sound goes, it is a very deep sounding system, not much louder at idle or when cruising but will open up nicely when you get on it.
On a car, we are actually able to make more hp then a straight pipe with one of our mufflers, which is because of our sound absorbing material inside the muffler.Because we have a true straight through design, when certain gases are absorbed out of the exhaust flow along with sound waves, we were able to increase the velocity of the air flow through the muffler.

I will be posting this dyno sheet when I receive it from this guy if I ever do. I have only heard of gains like this from cars with F/I so I call BS on Magnaflow. What so you guys think???

R3DF0G 05-25-2002 02:05 PM

Well since i have the magnaflow, I can tell you it does add a little power, cuz I could feel it. But 10whp?.......NO:shake: Maybe 5 max......that's what the ass dyno tells me anyway.:) If you wanna see it in person check out the Tampa Hondaland show next saturday.

Silver2k1Dood 05-25-2002 02:58 PM

Cool...let's see those dyno sheets:tup:

Jeff 05-25-2002 03:09 PM

humm, I want it in ink that our cars get 10 extra hp bring on the dyno sheet

iamboo 05-25-2002 03:43 PM

you gotta trust your sources... unless you actually see the REAL dyno sheet from the company or actually even better a dyno sheet from another R&D dyno you got nothing... :tup::tup:

"Trust no one" - X Files:)

Mbow 05-25-2002 04:47 PM

I installed in injen cai and then the mag cat-back about a month later. I didn't notice any difference after installing the exhaust. I am sure it helped a little but I definately would have noticed 10hp. Plus, if that system gave an increase of 10hp, the dyno sheet would be all over the net and the magnaflow would be backordered until next year. Think about it.

colombianDXcivic 05-25-2002 05:15 PM

<< Plus, if that system gave an increase of 10hp, the dyno sheet would be all over the net and the magnaflow would be backordered until next year. Think about it. >>

i like his point

JKEEZO 05-25-2002 08:19 PM

<< I installed in injen cai and then the mag cat-back about a month later. I didn't notice any difference after installing the exhaust. I am sure it helped a little but I definately would have noticed 10hp. Plus, if that system gave an increase of 10hp, the dyno sheet would be all over the net and the magnaflow would be backordered until next year. Think about it. >>

yeah,

there is slight possibility that 10hp could come out of it i guess [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] but i highly doubt it

hehe, mbow i have the same setup as you except my injen is sri, and its true it does add some hp, maybe 5 or so

you shouldn't be surprised though... when it comes to company's and such, never let yourself be sold on something by a person that is making any money on it... many company's make claims they cant back

RunawaySoul 05-25-2002 08:22 PM

Got it on my car also, feels more like 5 horses. Definitely an increase, definitely one of the better exhaust out there. That's why it's popular on this board. But 10hp? [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

StreetLevelPerformance 05-25-2002 10:05 PM

I just wanted to let you guys now about this crap so you wouldnt get fooled into buying this setup thinking you'll get ten whp.
Peace