Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Intake vs. Exhaust (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/37872-intake-vs-exhaust.html)

BlueFlame 05-25-2002 03:19 AM

Intake vs. Exhaust

Ok, there might already be a post on this, but I couldn't find it. I was just curious if it made more sense to get a new exhaust - I'm leaning probably towards the magnaflow - before an intake. It seems that I should have a bigger exhaust for all that extra air to flow through, rather than get an intake and have such a restrcted exhaust pipe. Would that matter, or am I just a dumbass?

Thanks in advance guys! And ladies .. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

CapYoda 05-25-2002 03:26 AM

I dont think either yields too much hp. if any at all.

it seems more practial to get an intake first though... they, in terms of possible power gains and price, compare to a exhaust and its possible power gain (say, they both gain 5 hp), the intake cost WAY cheaper.

and its an easier bolt on, generally, and its easier to reverse the process...

personally, if you want performance, I dont think you'll be too happy with what you'll get with either one.

maybe a complete I/H/E will yield gains that you can feel, but its in my opinion that any of these bolt ons alone, are not worth the money.

BIG 05-25-2002 03:47 AM

You're not a dumbass, you just made a great point. An intake or exhaust without the other will not live up to its full potential. In my opinion, save your money and do both at once!

Lates

BlueFlame 05-25-2002 04:08 AM

Yeah, I already realize that there isn't a whole lot I can do - except get a turbo - that's going to give me really high performance gains. I've kinda diceded that the only thing I can do is rice it up, and an exhaust would do that. Same with an intake, and that extra 10 or so (if I'm lucky) HP certainly couldn't hurt. Well, my warranty maybe ..

And thanks for the praise Big. It seemed like basic physics that if I had a bigger in, I would probably need a bigger out. I'm gonna get the exhaust first, since it's easier to guy them seperately. Thanks again peoples!!

For your troubles, this round's on me!! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Mbow 05-25-2002 04:21 AM

I think that the intakes add more performance than the exhaust systems. The exhaust does dress the car up and give it that all important modded import look. Kinda like a car with a set of nice rims but a puny looking exhaust pipe. If you have aftermarket rims, I'd go with the exhaust first to help complete the look of the car. Plus, the exhaust is way more expensive and if you have the money go ahead and get it. It's always easier to fork out 200 bucks rather than 500.

speedx3 05-25-2002 05:21 AM

Here's my work, maybe it's kinda off topic..... but this's what i think.......

Say you have a EX, you have 127hp to begin with.
then say you have a complete H/I/E moded, if you are lucky, u can get 10hp extra (pretty ideal huh?)
and that's around $900..........
Say now your have 137hp in your engine.........

Does that make you fly? i highly doubt it.

plus the cops will be pretty bad on you, and grab everyone's attention while you speeding.

with that kind of money? I would use it on coil over, sway-bar, towerbar, and stuff like that.......
then u can kick some a$$ in the corner, plus people will admire your skill, cuz everyone know how to step on the gas and go.

and I would spend $$ to "mod" my driving skill, and I'm going this summer

Just what i think, dont take my word if you dont like it.

PRCIVIC2001 05-25-2002 10:23 AM

<< You're not a dumbass, you just made a great point. An intake or exhaust without the other will not live up to its full potential. In my opinion, save your money and do both at once!

Lates
>>

I agree, both work together to get the best results.

JKEEZO 05-25-2002 10:56 AM

hey, i agree to some extent

my first mod was an injen short ram intake... first thing you notice from that is the sound... doesnt add too much recognizable hp though (its all in your head)
my second mod was a magnaflow cat-back exhaust... this and the intake together added some hp... i think i recognized the power from the magnaflow more than intake, but this is probably because it was added second so then the whole system was working better together

if i were you though, id get intake, header w/ high flow cat, and exhaust seeing as the header with high flow cat is supposed to add the most hp from any bolt on

you might have around 20 extra hp then (and get to be friends with someone at a smog place if you live under strict smog laws like me in CA)

just my $.02

btw... if you dont want a ricey sounding exhaust i recommend magnaflow... there is no high pitched noise at any rpm and altogether its pretty deep sounding

Silver2k1Dood 05-25-2002 11:46 AM

Agreed: Either catback, header, or intake by itself is not going to do much: Your engine is nothing more than an air pump and to maximize its performance, you must open up both intake and exhaust tracts. Just think, if you have a big-bore intake and catback exhaust, you still have a bottleneck at the header/manifold and cat.

Now, after increasing the airflow, you might also consider improving the spark and fuel delivery, as well as the map on your ECU by way of a reprogrammed EPROM chip.

I have soem doubts as to whether the cat in our cars can be replaced with a high-flow version w/o hurting emissions...anyone know about this for sure??[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

You know, sometimes I get frustrated by the lack of parts for our cars...I know they're economy cars and all but they've been out for more than a year now....:shake:

viciousvolpe 05-25-2002 02:40 PM

i got both...
i just put my AEM SRI and thermal R&D on today...i love it
didnt really try for power yet..u can tell a difference though..not sure how much

civtec02 05-25-2002 03:36 PM

DC dynoed their civic w/ I/H/E and the max gain was 5....so ho are you guys getting gains of 10 hp? am i missing something here?

JKEEZO 05-25-2002 07:47 PM

<< DC dynoed their civic w/ I/H/E and the max gain was 5....so ho are you guys getting gains of 10 hp? am i missing something here? >>

someone needs to dyno with I/H/E/High-flow cat because as silver2k1dood just said, if you dont replace the cat there is a bottleneck there

id like to see that dyno [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Mbow 05-25-2002 08:03 PM

<< DC dynoed their civic w/ I/H/E and the max gain was 5....so ho are you guys getting gains of 10 hp? am i missing something here? >>

That is for DC's parts. It's not really relevant to other manufacturers. You may put an injen cai and magnaflow exhaust on a civic and make 5hp.

All that statement means in DC's COMBINATION of PARTS for the civic makes 5hp.

BlueFlame 05-25-2002 10:58 PM

Alright, I've kinda decided to go this route: once I get my Neuspeed Sport springs, and OBX struts - they'll really compliment my new rims - then I'm gonna try and get in on the next magnaflow group buy. Next, I'll get the AEM SRI, and finally the header - probably DC Sports. But, out of curiousity .. what's the high-flow cat? I'm assuming that's part of the header, kinda like the down pipe that goes into the exhaust, but isn't that already part of the magnaflow exhaust kit? You'll have to forgive my stupidity .. Anyways thanks for all the help guys!

Oh, and if anyone has anything they;d like to add, or suggest, about my plans, please lemme know. I probably won't change my plans, since I'm a stubborn lil' sh¡t, but I'm always open to ideas. :)

Cheers! [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

JKEEZO 05-26-2002 12:01 AM

<< Alright, I've kinda decided to go this route: once I get my Neuspeed Sport springs, and OBX struts - they'll really compliment my new rims - then I'm gonna try and get in on the next magnaflow group buy. Next, I'll get the AEM SRI, and finally the header - probably DC Sports. But, out of curiousity .. what's the high-flow cat? I'm assuming that's part of the header, kinda like the down pipe that goes into the exhaust, but isn't that already part of the magnaflow exhaust kit? You'll have to forgive my stupidity .. Anyways thanks for all the help guys!

Oh, and if anyone has anything they;d like to add, or suggest, about my plans, please lemme know. I probably won't change my plans, since I'm a stubborn lil' sh¡t, but I'm always open to ideas. :)

>>

no, the magnaflow is cat-back which means it starts right behind the catylitic converter (no clue how to spell that)

if you want my suggestion (and a fast car) and have money... check out this turbo kit (then you can get it dyno'd for us [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] )

Voiceofid 05-26-2002 12:38 AM

i would go for a better exahust first, consider this, i read somehwere that our current intake is already doing a very efficent job on the intake air part of the car, beside the sound and the "i got a sri/cai" stuff the only thing you get is losing gas.

JKEEZO 05-26-2002 01:59 AM

<< i would go for a better exahust first, consider this, i read somehwere that our current intake is already doing a very efficent job on the intake air part of the car, beside the sound and the "i got a sri/cai" stuff the only thing you get is losing gas. >>

good arguement except for the last part... true it doesnt add much hp and only makes sound louder... but it does not lose gas

correct me if i am wrong but from all bolt ons you actually get an improvement in your mileage because the more air is added into the mixture the more hp you get with less gas...

RunawaySoul 05-26-2002 10:22 AM

OKay. First off, the EX does not have 127 horses. It dynod at 112 at the wheels. All the others dynod at 101.

DC Sports makes good stuff, but I get the feeling that they spend more time on quality than on performance, but that's definitely not a bad thing. It's not necessarily how much money you have to spend. For $300, magnaflow, to me, provides the best bang for the buck. I'm not going to pay hundreds more for 2-3 extra horses.

The intake does not lose gas. I have the magnaflow exhaust and AEM CAI. I get about 380 miles per tank, 100% city driving. Before I got around 330. You only get around 2 horses with the CAI. The magnaflow probably gets around 5. Just do some research into what the products will be best for you. A car that breathes better is a car that performs better. I approach my modifications with almost no expectations as far as horsepower. I go for efficiency and what works for me. If I didn't gain any horsepower, at least I have something that represents my personality.

civicpimpin01 05-26-2002 02:19 PM

Just buy them both at the same time.

aferenz 05-27-2002 12:19 AM

I've done a lot of reading on this. CAI is better than SRI look at AEM's website, Increase in milage with CAI, I have noticed myself. DC sports Header Intake TCS is only 5 HP according to Honda Tuning. but all there stuff is carb exempt. you can smog your car with all that stuff on, But AEM and Injen CAI is also carb legal. There is a guy on this web site who got 12HP from AEM CAI, TCS and DC header if you look somewhere in the past forms.

Oh and EX is 127HP, but that's how much HP the engine puts out alone. 112HP to the wheels is not a bad loss at all.

BlueFlame 05-27-2002 12:58 AM

<< I've done a lot of reading on this. CAI is better than SRI look at AEM's website, Increase in milage with CAI, I have noticed myself. >>

True, except that the SRI is proven to get better performance for an auto than a CAI somehow. I'm not sure ho that works, but then I also don't claim to be all that smart. I just go with it. Otherwise, yeah .. the CAI would be better for a stick shift.

Oh, and you get 380 miles regularly on a tank of gas? Damn .. The BEST I've ever gotten was 375, and that was filling it all the way up, and letting it run down about 40 miles after the fuel light turned on. Kinda scary cuttin' it so close, but I made it .. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

ACE646 05-27-2002 02:59 AM

I say go with exhaust first like I did but my intake is on the way, I JUST got my skunk2 put on and love it sounds great looks great I would look into that system.:tup:

UTVoL 05-27-2002 10:15 AM

hmmm... well i guess that helps explain why AEM hasn't came out with the CAI for the auto yet... i had heard from somebody else a while back the SRI works better, so why's that?!

Cyclosporine 05-27-2002 03:43 PM

there is no CAI for an auto 'cause the engine bay is too tight and the piping would bends too much and is too long a distance for air to travel all the way to the throttle body there's a lag in air and you get actually a considerable power loss and waste more fuel

BigWing 05-27-2002 05:43 PM

i personally liek teh idea of teh Sleeper Civic...
jsut get teh Intake, Headers and Chip.. n leave exhasut for last n then when ya pull up, no one thinks ya ahve anyhting till ya step on it n they see ur taillights

-Big WIng

BlueFlame 05-28-2002 05:00 PM

<< I personally like the idea of the Sleeper Civic... when ya pull up, no one thinks ya have anything >>

Actually, that's because we really DON'T have anything. I mean, even if you do get a new I/H/E you've only given yourself at most 20 extra HP, and that's being VERY generous. It would take a turbo to put us up to 200HP, which most people have in their cars stock. Our cars are unfortunately slow, although most people who've ever ridden with me will disagree. :)
Otherwise it's a nice idea though ..

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE 05-28-2002 09:46 PM

<< am I just a dumbass?

>>

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE 05-28-2002 09:49 PM

<< Here's my work, maybe it's kinda off topic..... but this's what i think.......

Say you have a EX, you have 127hp to begin with.
then say you have a complete H/I/E moded, if you are lucky, u can get 10hp extra (pretty ideal huh?)
and that's around $900..........
Say now your have 137hp in your engine.........

Does that make you fly? i highly doubt it.

plus the cops will be pretty bad on you, and grab everyone's attention while you speeding.

with that kind of money? I would use it on coil over, sway-bar, towerbar, and stuff like that.......
then u can kick some a$$ in the corner, plus people will admire your skill, cuz everyone know how to step on the gas and go.

and I would spend $$ to "mod" my driving skill, and I'm going this summer

Just what i think, dont take my word if you dont like it.
>>

true about the step on the gas, but if you dont have a standard transmission, please dont make a fool of yourself
"kickin some a$$ in the corner" you can have all that lowering garbage and will still get crushed by a stock manual, which just downshifts around turns.