Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Are they worth it???? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/36361-they-worth.html)

ce01cvcex 05-13-2002 05:26 PM

Are they worth it????

i was just wondering, are the wheel locks actually worth the money and hassle? i know that if i bought them, then i'd probably have to have a diff key for each tire. or can you get them keyed alike like house door locks? just wondering. thanx

01civic911 05-13-2002 05:30 PM

they come in sets of four if bought from honda, all are the same pattern, but every set of four has a different pattern. i had my wheels stolen off my 99 and once i got the wheel locks, i have never had a problem, a fairly inexpensive insurance for your tires if you ask me.

JDog2001CivicEX 05-13-2002 05:34 PM

I used to work at Discount Tire Company, we sold wheel locks to almost everybody with aftermarket rims.

I only have on ething to say if somebody wants your rims, they are coming off. No wheel lock is fool-proof, some are easier than the regular tuner lugs.

I don't think it matters either way, wether you have them or not, if somebody wants your rims, they are going to take them. PERIOD.

Joe

CIVICTypeRookie 05-13-2002 05:51 PM

just get em insured. It cost me a whopping $4 extra every six months to have my 18's
covered by my insurance, all I had to do was flash the receipt and the full amount I paid is
covered ($1300). Like JDOG says, if somebody wants your rims theyre gonna take them.

2Hondaz 05-13-2002 05:54 PM

No sense it making it easy for them by not having wheel locks. Just try to make it as difficult as possible. I have locks, and my car is low as hell...Most jacks won't fit underneath. I say it's worth $20 to help secure your $1000+ investment.

Macko 05-13-2002 09:58 PM

<< i was just wondering, are the wheel locks actually worth the money and hassle? i know that if i bought them, then i'd probably have to have a diff key for each tire. or can you get them keyed alike like house door locks? just wondering. thanx >>

They come in a set of four, in which you use one for each wheel with the ordinary lugs.. all for of theym use the same keyed socket[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

SpacemanBob 05-13-2002 10:28 PM

This is the same issue as "The Club" type products.... If someone REALLY wants your car, wheels, jewelry in your house, etc., they WILL get it. The issue is, are they looking for YOUR car, or A car. If it's YOUR car, you're just screwed. If it's just A car, then making YOUR car/wheels harder to steal will make them pick a different (easier) target.

NoToRiOuSxPiNoY 05-14-2002 01:07 AM

sigh.. wheels locks just delay the crime. Trust me... i used to do it for a living. but i had ways of gettin by w/ any lock.

Bartkat 05-14-2002 01:37 AM

Some will take them anyway, some won't. If you deter the guys that are in a hurry you may save your wheels and save whatever damage a thief would do jacking up your car.

Like if somebody want's the whole car, they can put it on a truck and carry it away, but a casual thief won't.

ce01cvcex 05-14-2002 02:04 PM

thanx for the info. i am still wondering about one thing though. is there anyway to get locks for every lug and only have one key? i'd prefer to have them where it would take as much time as possible to steal them, and as for them having to jack my car up to steal my rims, then the alarm would go off because i have it wired where the if the shocks depress or lengthen while the alarm is armed, it goes off. and the alarm also has a pager hooked up to it that way i'll know when it goes off. i know it's not foolproof but its pretty good that way.

GeNoZiDe 05-14-2002 02:18 PM

are you crazy?!?! no wheel locks on your rimz??!
where i live thats a no no LOL
my rimz would be gone in 5 seconds
least the wheel locks deter people or atleast slow them down quite a bit
unless there a pro they cant really get em off [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]