Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Magnaflow HELP! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/35649-magnaflow-help.html)

MexMike 05-08-2002 12:47 AM

Magnaflow HELP!

Heres the low down....I got my magnaflow exhaust installed and my car is dropped about 2 inches with some eibach sportlines. The problem is the pipes are way too low!!! I am scraping everything in sight!!! I mean serious make you wanna cry:cry: scraping, not just a light scratch. The place that installed it said they can't do anything about it and that I need to goto a muffler place and ask them to fix it. MAGNAFLOWGUY help me!!! What can I ask them to do and how much could this cost me...I don't want to have to take it off my car![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

macrossranma 05-08-2002 12:58 AM

i just installed mine tonite, an hr ago, mine lowered with h&r sport, nothing stratch so far, heres what u can do, move the u clamp (the one that tigthened the catalytic conveter to muffler to the side instead of straight down, well, all the u clamps to the side, but straight down for the u clamp that tightened the frontpipe to the catalytic converter, cuz my friend said they are too low if i move it to the side, he saw it when driving from behind, and another thing is before u tightened any of the u clamps, push the muffler to the top and than tighten it, it'll make the pipe sit there and not drop down after u tightened it, hpe this help:)

macrossranma 05-08-2002 01:03 AM

do any ppl have wierd smell after installing the catback?mine smell bad....but i just installed an hr ago, hope this go away

Bartkat 05-08-2002 01:13 AM

Sometimes new pipes or parts have some paint or oil on them. That should burn off.

Wanger 05-08-2002 02:01 AM

yeah i have it installed and my car is not lowered at all... and i went up a steep hill and it scraped my ubolt "turned to the side btw" when i was coming back straight from the hill. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] please post some fixes....

Crashoveride 05-08-2002 09:01 AM

Yeah there will be a smell comming from the exhaust for a day or two untill all of the residue that is left on it from the manufacturing process is burned off, shouldnt be too long. As for the scraping, I havent had too many problems, they only time I have scraped was the tip getting off the boat, and thats no big deal because even with the stock exhaust I would scrape, its a steep hill.
I was curious if you could somehow run some wiring or something under the heat sheild and have it help hold the mid pipe up somehow, without it looking bad. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Good Luck guys.

PRCIVIC2001 05-08-2002 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear that guys, gees. I have scraped the crap out of my exhuast also.

Bartkat 05-08-2002 11:56 AM

There have been lots of posts on Magnaflow catbacks. A large number of them complained about the pipes hangiing low and scraping on speed bumps and steep inclines. I don't know any other fixes than those mentioned though.

Dragon 05-08-2002 12:06 PM

I have Magnaflow cat back installed too and the thing i do the fix the scraping problem is the muffler shop to do a custom pipping to the middle pipe. I also have them sealed the pipes also because the cat back uses clamps to connect the pipes together and the guy who installed the exhast for me said the clamps will eventually leaks.

Mbow 05-08-2002 02:20 PM

Yep, my u-bolts leaked from the very beginning. I just had the pipes welded except for the connection behind the cat. I don't have any problems with it scraping but my car isn't lowered yet. I have prokits waiting for shocks though.

CelCUs 05-09-2002 11:43 AM

I installed my exhaust myself at a shop with my dad and i noticed the entire system hangs way to low, so I had all the pipes manipulated and bent by a friend of a friend who does exhaust's. He even welded all the connections together and raised the entire exhaust right next to the body of my car for $40. The pipe has to be bent or flattened a lil' to get it out of the way of the sway bar on DX models anyway.

RunawaySoul 05-10-2002 11:11 PM

Mine scrapes too, and it's not lowered. It only does it over those massive 2 foot hight speed bumps. I'm definitely not lowering my car. Too bad...I'll use the money for other mods though :tup: I was thinking of taking off the sway bar and rotating my exhaust so that's behind it...I dunno

MexMike 05-11-2002 02:22 AM

Dragon... How much did the custom piping cost you? I am going to look around this weekend but I do not want to get ripped off. I just want it raised enough so I do not scratch everything in sight.:shake: It is so low you can see it from behind when I am driving and from the side at about 4 feet away.