Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   lower tie bar? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/35144-lower-tie-bar.html)

iamfob 05-04-2002 06:18 PM

lower tie bar?

anyone have them on their car? i have the front strut bar and my friend told me to get the lower front tie bar (if it exist) and the lower tie bar to go along with it. i am not sure which brand, where to get them in Toronto...etc
and can someone tell me whether it improves a lot compare to a stock car without all those 3 bars?
if it really improve the body roll and stability of the car then i would most likely get it before i planned to lower my car. love improve the handling on any car...hehhe

insan 05-04-2002 07:36 PM

i have all three bars. i can tell a little differnce with them. as far as brand i 'm useing obx. just cause i payed 100 bucks for all of them off of ebay. mabe u should check it out just go to parts then type 2001 or 2002 civic in the search block and bam everything for are cars thats on ebay and by the way i think dc sports is just a rip off 150 bucks for a lower tie bar all ur paying for is the name.

ShadyMilkMan 05-04-2002 11:46 PM

Isan are you joking? The dc sports is so much better quality and they actualy make a diffrence unlike obx... Obx makes ineffective crap, dc sports actualy works and looks good..

RedDragon333 05-05-2002 12:15 AM

Ive got the DC sports for all of them and they work and LOOK so much better than anything else out there in my opinion and i had them all installed at the same time and you CAN tell the difference it makes!!!!! plus when you look under tha car and see that small DC symbol your like"sweet"

insan 05-05-2002 12:33 AM

i drove another 2k1 civic with the dc sports bars and there was no differnce in it...but that just my opinon...

JBlazeVA 05-05-2002 01:45 AM

there are DC Sports, OBX, and Tenzo R out for our cars...

johnny 05-05-2002 03:20 AM

you guys must be xxxking crazy. they are all the same. why go with brand name? people can't see through your hood anyway. How big different on the quality? as long as they aren't made by rubber. i know obx is a bit heavier, but that's all.

crazyjetskier 05-05-2002 02:38 PM

hey man as long as they work and serve a purpose.........

johnny 05-05-2002 07:05 PM

hell yeah...

Grey 05-05-2002 07:16 PM

<< Obx makes ineffective crap, dc sports actualy works and looks good.. >>

Actually, that's not exactly true. The OBX tie bar for the rear looks to be superior in design to the DC Sports. I have the DC Sports BTW, so I'm not partial to the OBX brand. I love my DC Sports. The front strut bar definately makes a difference, but I can not feel a difference at all with the rear tie bar. Maybe if I had a sway bar I would. There's a lot more flex in other components back there and it's always the weakest link type situation. I'de get a sway bar first. Then a strut bar. Then polyurethane bushings (for sway bar or camber kit). Then a tie bar. With our new body design I think that order is the way to go. Earlier generations of civics had a different design, so a rear tie bar made more sense, but the order in that case would still be something like: sway bar, strut bar, tie bar, bushings

CapYoda 05-05-2002 10:18 PM

I'll go with Neuspeed, or any other brand that doesn't have pivot points...

if it has a pivot point, whats the point of having a strut bar when it can bend or etc.? (okay,t hats a weak argument, but if you search around, you'll find some good info on suspension tunning..)

personally, I think, for our cars, its better to change the tires. then go from there. tires affect the handling characteristic majorly. although my stock tires are still fine though.... but once the threads are gone, I'm going for new tires.

suspension tunning is all about preferences... obviously neutral handling is what we're all going for, but some may want more understeer, or oversteer. etc. or some wants a soft comfortable ride, some wants an all out ride and dont care about the harshness of the ride...

but I think, generally, a tie bar isn't something you'll feel. its just a part of the process. when you do get everything in line, when you get those new performance/grand touring tires, and buy yourself a full coilover or change the spring and swap in performance shocks, and upgrade the sway bars, and throw in the strut bars, tie bars, bushings, etc. then you'll definitely feel a difference.

I think DC sport stuffs are too expensive though.

0100010 05-08-2002 11:48 AM

On my Civic, I started with Ground Controls and Ingalls camber kits. Then I added a DC Sports front upper strut bar. Much improved handling during cornering, but the rear end would want to slide easily. Then added a DC Sports rear lower tie bar, and the rear end now stays where I want it, like taking a 90 degree right turn at 35mph. Had too much body lean thouhg, so added an RSX Type S 19mm rear anti sway bar, and swapped it with my stock 12mm one. Not near as much lean during cornering now.

I think it really depends on the order you add the parts in. I went about 3 weeks between each additional part I added, but it took me a couple months to get the anti sway bar. I could definately feelthe improvement when I added my rear lower tie bar. Now I'm just waiting on a rear upper strut bar and an upgraded front anti sway bar.

Bartkat 05-08-2002 03:19 PM

The strut and shock tie bars aren't going to do anything for body roll. What they can do is limit the effects of unibody twist on the shocks themselves. I agree, you'll need a heavier sway bar in the rear to cut down on body lean. Of course good springs and shocks will be necessary to do a really complete job.

555 05-09-2002 01:25 AM

i have the dc sports front and rear lower tie bars, they work great and have a better reputation than companies such as OBX. they look very nice as well . dc sports are also just made for honda's and acura's so you know they devote their money and overhead on producing quality products just made for our cars, who know, OBX makes millions of applications for other cars, how do you know how stiff they make their bars just for our cars, they could use the wrong specs?

Bartkat 05-09-2002 01:54 AM

You could take a piece of pipe or aluminum rod and bolt it to your car and get results you counldn't tell the difference.

UCivic 05-09-2002 02:00 AM

I have a DC sports lower rear tie bar and i could tell a noticable difference over stock. I then put on the Neuspeed upper front strut bar and could tell no difference.