Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   D16Y7 Aftermarket exhaust header help ! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/336467-d16y7-aftermarket-exhaust-header-help.html)

kyle_l88 12-16-2010 10:37 AM

D16Y7 Aftermarket exhaust header help !

SO basically, I have a crack in the stock header. I REAAALY dont want to go get a honda one since I have always wanted an aftermarket 4-2-1 header. Problem is people tell me that it gets rid of your catalytic, which makes sense since it is sitting right near the engine in the engine bay. Now my question is, if i picked up some 4-2-1 headers could i not just attach a cat after that and then hook it up to the rest of the exhaust? I currently have a stock exhaust system. Or is it even worth my time to do this? Any advice is great. Thanks

Stock 99 12-16-2010 07:03 PM

Re: D16Y7 Aftermarket exhaust header help !

let me just say.. I'm no expert, I just bought my Honda a month ago.

Mine has a D16y7 and the best option to me seemed to be put on the EX exhaust with the cat back config. It'll still be original honda parts that will right bolt on to the main pipe. So you'll have a functional cat for etesting.

Other then that you can put on any compatible aftermarket config just don't expect it to pass etesting.

You'll get from what I understand to be the biggest HP upgrade from an aftermarket 2.25" exhaust. It's a very minor amount of HP though which in my mind isn't worth it.

Says the guy with 30 days of Honda experience.

LOL

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 07:09 AM

haha well thats ok, theres alot of advice floating around out there. Im not really going for HP gain. That would be awesome of course, but really its more about fixing the crack. I just like the aftermarket chrome look better :p. It looks so much nicer than the stock bulky one under the hood, and honda charges a fortune for parts :(

Deleon2c 12-17-2010 07:46 AM

Yesss Sir U Can, Thats What I had 2 Do, I Replaced Mine about 6 Months ago. Mid Way on the Cat they added a Cata Conv and Wala! All They Needed to do was add a extension on the electrical cables that connected the O2 Sensor.

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deleon2c (Post 4506836)
Yesss Sir U Can, Thats What I had 2 Do, I Replaced Mine about 6 Months ago. Mid Way on the Cat they added a Cata Conv and Wala! All They Needed to do was add a extension on the electrical cables that connected the O2 Sensor.

Did you have a stock exhaust at the time too ? Cuz the headers im looking at have the 4-2-1 so two pieces and a catalytic conv. add on that goes after the first two pieces. I can see extending the O2 sensor, but does it fit with the rest of the exhuast or will I have to hack up the exhaust to make it fit lol.

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 08:01 AM

o and they look like this. exactly like this
http://www.dragtimes.com/images-clas...0594440286.jpg

Deleon2c 12-17-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_l88 (Post 4506837)
Did you have a stock exhaust at the time too ? Cuz the headers im looking at have the 4-2-1 so two pieces and a catalytic conv. add on that goes after the first two pieces. I can see extending the O2 sensor, but does it fit with the rest of the exhuast or will I have to hack up the exhaust to make it fit lol.

When My Headers Went Ape Shit and Cracked Yes My Exhaust was Stock, But when I got My headers replaced I Also Swap'd Out my Exhaust. Had The Same 4-2-1 Headers U did except Mine we're Powder Coated instead, but Right where the Headers attached 2 the exhaust they added a Cata Conv 4 Free :rockon: and yes they had 2 Hack a few Inches of the Exhaust off to have it all Fit right.

Deleon2c 12-17-2010 08:25 AM

But Mine Didnt come with a Cata Conv, it instead just had another piece of straight pipe :hithead: Luckily U found a All in one Deal :sweet:

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 08:27 AM

hhmm now to figure out if i will pass emissions in ontario canada otherwise im done lol

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Deleon2c (Post 4506841)
But Mine Didnt come with a Cata Conv, it instead just had another piece of straight pipe :hithead: Luckily U found a All in one Deal :sweet:

Did your emissions change at all?

Stock 99 12-17-2010 07:28 PM

Sorry didn't mean to get you all hung up on etesting. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What I've read seems to be that high flow and cheap aftermarket cats don't do their jobs. Get whatever 4-2-1 setup you want then just be sure you ask the right questions about cat back when you do it. I'm sure it's not that hard to find a functional cat to fit if you're not trying to go the HP route.

MindBomber 12-17-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_l88 (Post 4506842)
hhmm now to figure out if i will pass emissions in ontario canada otherwise im done lol

Haha its simple, swap factory exhaust back on, go pass emissions, swap aftermarket exhaust back.

kyle_l88 12-17-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4507018)
Haha its simple, swap factory exhaust back on, go pass emissions, swap aftermarket exhaust back.

hahah good point, thats thinking outside the box

civicnewb 12-17-2010 11:06 PM

i have never even been tesed for emissions...?

Stock 99 12-17-2010 11:09 PM

Only certain places in Canada do it. I just found out a few months ago they do it in Onterrible now. They do it in the Lower Mainland (Vancouver) but other then that I don't know where else in Canada it's done. There's no etesting where I live but I'm guessing it won't be too many years before most of the Country does it.

civicnewb 12-17-2010 11:50 PM

oh well... it pays to have an uncle thats a mechanic that can pass anything i ask him to :)

Stock 99 12-18-2010 12:37 AM

It's not something your local mechanic can pass. You have to go a government facility.

I wouldn't worry though I'm sure Alberta will be the very last place in Canada to adopt those standards.

MindBomber 12-18-2010 12:56 AM

+1 I can't see Alberta ever imposing an environmental protection program.

Basically you go to a government inspection facility once every year or two year depending on the age of the vehicle, where you drive onto a dyno/four gas analyzer, then get out of your car and go standing in a viewing room. Some tech then gets in your car and brings your engine to near redline in every gear, then does a visual inspection of the entire vehicle. They plug in an OBII reader and any code leads to an automatic fail. You then get back in the car, drive ahead and your given the results. If you fail you can't get insurance.

Stock 99 12-18-2010 01:03 AM

^^ oh my god!:eek:

I had no idea that was what etesting was. I hope I never have to watch some government worker run my car through red line in every gear!

what does a visual inspection have to do with emissions?

what a cash grab/BS

kyle_l88 12-20-2010 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stock 99 (Post 4507133)
^^ oh my god!:eek:

I had no idea that was what etesting was. I hope I never have to watch some government worker run my car through red line in every gear!

what does a visual inspection have to do with emissions?

what a cash grab/BS

lol, well here in ontario they are picky about "RACING" parts lol. they think if you have anything non-stock you must be a street racer. They are just beinng bitches. The thing is tho i think you can get etested and certified from mechanic shops, i dont think it has to be goverment cuz like civicnewb said, i too have an uncle that helps ppl along :p. The thing is if the government finds out that shop is BS'ing, they are blown off the map lol