Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Info on Projectors and HID (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/33195-info-projectors-hid.html)

Derek-CEO 04-21-2002 10:21 PM

Info on Projectors and HID

I got this from Ronald Woo over at Genera. They are one of my sponsors and when I asked him about installing projectors, he didn't recommend it. This is what he said.

<< The reason for the HID kits, is that they ruin the photometrics of a lamp, when they get
installed. As you already know, the bulbs are longer then the factory bulbs,
and when they are installed, push the photometrics in a way that the lamp
was not originally intended
>>

Intruder 04-21-2002 11:40 PM

This is STRAIGHT on. I did alot of assisting on optics with one of my professors and your sponsor is correct. The length of the bulbs changes the way the light is reflected out of the assembly (read: NOT the agle of the light, but the actual distribution of the light). The best way is to see from othe rmembers how they turned out if they have hid in the lights you are looking at. Mostly HID 'Kits' tend to be for looks rather than actualy lamp performance (beacause of said reasons). Peace

Voiceofid 04-22-2002 12:05 AM

so anotherwords, the light pattern would just.. suck?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

Exbauer 04-23-2002 11:39 AM

What you said is correct. But, you can acheive true HID with projectors. The projectors have to be HID projectors though. Bosch and Hella sell them, but people commonly get them from OEM cars like Audi, BMW, Porsche, among others. They are easy to get because many of them have been and at salvage yards. You get those OEM HID projectors and retro fit them into stock housings or aftermarket projectors. I did both and now the light is spread evenly and does not glare onto oncomming traffic.

Here are a couple of good website about HID:

FAQ lighting

Philips lighting

O1Coupe 04-24-2002 01:04 AM

<< What you said is correct. But, you can acheive true HID with projectors. The projectors have to be HID projectors though. Bosch and Hella sell them, but people commonly get them from OEM cars like Audi, BMW, Porsche, among others. They are easy to get because many of them have been and at salvage yards. You get those OEM HID projectors and retro fit them into stock housings or aftermarket projectors. I did both and now the light is spread evenly and does not glare onto oncomming traffic.

Here are a couple of good website about HID:

FAQ lighting

Philips lighting
>>

Anybody willing to perform this duty for me in ONTARIO CANADA? $$

FurBall 04-24-2002 09:07 AM

Don't bother installing projectors. Why bother? Go for the real thing, BI-XENON HID.

There are now kits available on EBay, some some few sellers in the US, that allow for true high and low beam HID. The one that I've heard good things about (and hope to purchase in about 6 months) is a kit that has a moveable shield to redirect the light for high/low beam. DIrect H4 replacement.... Beam pattern and cutoff has been deemed "pretty good" by members in the Phillips forums....

EBay auction

At $389.99USD, I think that's a beautiful deal, for GOOD HID.... You work that out in terms of currency conversions, shipping, possible taxes + duties, and you're looking at probably $800CDN... For that price, you're getting good beam pattern and bi-xenon. I say yeah yeah! Lemme know if you're getting this, I'd like to see [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Exbauer 04-24-2002 11:09 AM

on the 2002 A6 and the ML have projectors that have moveable shields that help assist the high beams, those are a little harder to get right now because of the availablity. just wait a while and they will be more readily available. there is nothing that can compare to hid projectors vs refectors. if you have done a conversion in a 2001 civic stock headlight housings, the output is crap, not focused, and glare. even with the bi-xenon kit, it will be crap.

AlphaInfinity 04-24-2002 07:40 PM

I am glad this came up, because I was getting ready to purchase a HID kit for my car. I guess ill stick with PIAA for now.

Voiceofid 04-25-2002 12:10 AM

so what they are trying to say is that if i put hid into the tyc projectors, it would simply kill the projectors?:susp:

O1Coupe 04-25-2002 12:36 AM

<< so what they are trying to say is that if i put hid into the tyc projectors, it would simply kill the projectors?:susp: >>

No no no.....

It means you'll have really bad light pattern.

The proper way is to REMOVE the projector in the TYC (or whatever brand), and replace them with the ones in the AUDI (or BMW, or whatever) brand.... you see......

0100010 04-25-2002 12:45 AM

Whta I'm actually looking into doing with my HID's instead of replacing the reflectors, is getting an extra set of D2S bulbs, then making some custom mounts for them, so that the location of the arc in the bulb, is positioned the same focal length away from the rear of the lense, that a normal H4 halogen filament would be. I have my current set of D2R bulbs in custom H4 harnesses that I made, but they are flush mount, which means the bulb protrudes much farther than a stock H4. The light output is phenominal, but the beam pattern leaves something to be desired. If I can't get the new mounts/bulbs to function how I want, then I'll probably go for some custom mounted Hella dichronic lenses.

Dave 04-26-2002 03:07 AM

I'm getting the chrome TYCs and probably head down to a scrap yard to find a set of projectors of an Audi to do a retrofit. Hepefully the size will be about the same.

Exbauer 04-26-2002 11:15 AM

i did it with a A6 projector. they are really big. but, they fit. you might want to try using a tt or 3 series projector. they are the same and they are small. when you purchase the projectors, make sure they are HID projectors, otherwise the output will be no different than the tyc projectors.

0100010: i already tried that and it does not help. even with the bulb at the focal point it still glares into on-co-comming traffic and the beam pattern is slotted.

pinkytoe 04-27-2002 04:34 AM

i already retrofitted my tyc's to fit my d2s bulbs- i had to enlarge the hole for the projectors- it was a bioch

Voiceofid 04-27-2002 08:43 AM

how are you suppose to take the audi projector and fir it into our lights? take the tyc lens out?:susp:

Exbauer 04-27-2002 03:43 PM

pinkytoe: could you please take a wall shot of them. i want to see what the beam pattern is like.

voiceofed: you just take out the tyc projectors and them replace it with the oem hid projectors. i cut off the plastic around the tyc projector and them replaced it. i tried putting them into stock housings, but did not like not having high beams.

Dragon 04-27-2002 08:16 PM

Exbauer, is there anyway that you can get us a pic of your projectors?

Exbauer 04-28-2002 09:42 AM

I will try to get some up on later this week.

dacivic 04-28-2002 04:05 PM

I didn't know it is that difficult. Exbauer please show us some pictures and maybe make a DIY. That will be nice =D

showoff 04-28-2002 06:43 PM

How many HID's do you have in total Exbauer? I'm gonna retro my current HID's into my Catz foggys and then retro another set of fogs into chrome tyc's that i should have in about a month. Also how do you power your ballasts for you fogs? Thanks in advance.

Dave 04-28-2002 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info Exbauer. How is the beam pattern with the stock TYC projectors compared to the A6 retro?

O1Coupe 04-29-2002 12:56 AM

A6 is like... 200 times better.

:) Well not that much, but it is a LOT better. A LOT more brighter.

Exbauer 04-29-2002 10:59 PM

Here is a pic of the beam pattern...notice the sharp cut off line and the little Z's.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] hid beam.JPG (48 Kb)

showoff 04-30-2002 05:24 PM

What Kelvin is your HID kit? I don't know if its just you camera or what but by the looks of it your HID's don't look like 4100k or even 3800k, What brand ballast and bulbs do you have?

Exbauer 04-30-2002 05:46 PM

The ballasts and projectors are from HELLA and the bulbs are from OSRAM. The whole thing was from an Audi A6. They need to burn in more to get the blue/white/purple color. People say the Philips bulb is bluer than OSRAM bulbs. I think so too. I have one Philips bulb and they start with a bluer/whiter color. I will have to see later on if the OSRAM bulbs clear up.

showoff 05-01-2002 11:02 AM

Actually i think its the opposite. I have an osram ballast with philips bulbs now, but i used to have osram/xenarc bulbs before and they were more blue. Maybe it is the age of the bulb too, but im pretty sure i got both bulbs brand new. I'd prefer a lower Kelvin for higher color rendering anyday. I don't believe in purple lights, but with projectors its always possible to get the some abberation with the right light. What im looking for is blue throwaway light with white/yellow foreground light for better rendering, if audi and bmw can do it so can I.

Dave 05-02-2002 02:49 AM

Wow, that is a nice cutoff. I have read too that the Osram bulbs have a slightly lower kelvin rating than Philips.