Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Injen CAI: Filter Removed Without Removing Bumper? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/33084-injen-cai-filter-removed-without-removing-bumper.html)

klam 04-21-2002 02:29 AM

Injen CAI: Filter Removed Without Removing Bumper?

Is there a way to remove the filter without removing the bumper? There's gotta to be an easier way to remove the bumper than performing surgery on the car! I've removed the bumper before and although it is not too hard, it is a bit of a hassle and I'm afraid that doing it too often will wear out some of the clipping points.

TEKNIQ 04-21-2002 02:34 AM

I don't have the Injen but I heard all you have to do is turn your tire, take the clip out of the fenderwell, and the peel your fender-liner back & you'RE DONE.. If that doesn't give you enough room take the bottom screw out and pop the one side of the bumper back. That should make it a lot easier..

speedracersong 04-21-2002 03:50 AM

search man search.

but here's a freebee.
its alot easier to take off the bumper. its going to be a pain in the [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] to get into that little space, to bolt on the filter and the pipe on to the frame right. o and the instructions tell u to cut the fender wall a little but dont do it. its a tight fit.
good luck

netcbc 04-21-2002 04:34 AM

if u don't cut then it rubbles alot, annoying

AltimaJG 04-21-2002 09:51 AM

<< search man search.

but here's a freebee.
its alot easier to take off the bumper. its going to be a pain in the [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG] to get into that little space, to bolt on the filter and the pipe on to the frame right. o and the instructions tell u to cut the fender wall a little but dont do it. its a tight fit.
good luck
>>

Wrong Answer.

I have the Injen RD CAI. I was not going to remove that bumper. So I set out to find another way of doing this and was successful.

All you have to do is jack your car up and REMOVE the right wheel. This will give you more than enough room to work thru your wheel well plastic. The filter fits perfectly and with absolutely no rubbing whatsoever.

The key is to install the cone filter last. First, Install the upper portion of the CAI. Then get in your wheelwell via the removed tire and stick the second portion of the pipe thru the wheelwell into the engine bay.. Get up and adjust the silicon "Injen" seal to both pipes with the steel grip things... Now go back to your wheelwell and secure the lower pipe with the preinstalled "hook" to the car using that rubber screw thing. Make sure you clamp down hard because their are several wires that will be grounded to the chassis on that same screw.. DO NOT cut the fender plastic.. slip it thru the side.. it's a snug fit. Once all that is done slip your filter in thru the bottom and slip it into the opening of the pipe.. secure with those steel grip things and you sir, are good to go.

If you were in miami I would do it for you to have another witness see that it IS possible to install without removing the front bumper.

CivicVTec 04-21-2002 12:43 PM

no way..u have to remove your front bumper

leadfoot78 04-22-2002 12:39 AM

AltimaJG is totally right i did mine 3 days ago exackly like he said and it was a peace of cake. It sounds awasome!!!!!

azn2k1civic 04-25-2002 05:33 AM

<< Is there a way to remove the filter without removing the bumper? There's gotta to be an easier way to remove the bumper than performing surgery on the car! I've removed the bumper before and although it is not too hard, it is a bit of a hassle and I'm afraid that doing it too often will wear out some of the clipping points. >>

all you have to do is remove the wheel, and remove the fenderwell. i installed the whole intake without having to remove the bumper.

OmegaBlue2k1 05-24-2002 06:35 PM

I know this reply is kinda late late for this thread and all, but im getting rid of my short ram and putting in a Injen CAI, I find it kind of a 2 for 1 deal to go thru the fender well, itll give me the reason to take my wheels off to paint my calipers, and install a new toy in the process. Let ya know how it goes when i do the install...

Mbow 05-24-2002 06:51 PM

I couldn't get the pipe to fit through without cutting some of the plastic away. I would assume that if you didn't than the plastic in the fenderwell is bulging out. You can clean the filter without removing the bumper. That area is pretty easy to access by just removing the little pop in clip thing and pulling the plastic back.