Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   To all those with Magnaflow Catback!!! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/32845-all-those-magnaflow-catback.html)

MexMike 04-19-2002 09:31 AM

To all those with Magnaflow Catback!!!

Whats up everyone! I just got my magnaflow exhaust installed yesterday and I have already hit the damn thing like 5 times going up driveways and stuff[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]This can't be good. My car is dropped almost 2" with Eibach sportline springs. How bad is this problem? and what, if anything can I do[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Other than that though....It's Bada$$[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

johnride 04-19-2002 09:50 AM

I got mine installed on tuesday mine doesn't hit anything but my car isn't lowered either I think your problem is because your car is lowered but I don't know you have to hear from someone who has the exhaust and their car is lowered. Sorry I couldn't help out.

kristy 04-19-2002 09:59 AM

Do you know what part of the exhaust is hitting? Is the piping, the muffler, what? Did you have it welded or do you have the u-bolts on? If you have the u-bolts on it could be those. Or maybe its just cause your car is dropped.

MexMike 04-19-2002 11:20 AM

I am pretty sure it is the muffler hitting. Mine is bolted on. Everything else seems to high off the ground to hit. Even when I ease up a steep driveway I hear it tap the floor. I am like damnit!:shake: Anything I can do? Please help:)

kristy 04-19-2002 11:25 AM

Its prolly not the muffler, but i could be wrong. Most likely its the u-bolts, I scraped when i went up my driveway, I thought it was the muffler but it was the ubolts. You can have them turned sideways and see if that helps for starters. Or just get ur pipes welded.

FLY 04-19-2002 11:31 AM

i have it and my car is lowered 1.5 inches and i havent scraped a thing just be careful where you drive and take steep inclines at an angle

euphoria 04-19-2002 11:45 AM

i have one, and the tip and the edge of the muffler towards the rear always hits, its not a big problem now that you are aware of it, so just try to drive more slowly over bumps and try to go diagonally up driveways; same when you back up.:tup:[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

MexMike 04-19-2002 11:46 AM

I am at school right now, so I can't get to my car to look but how would I go about turning them sideways?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

IonRays 04-19-2002 12:42 PM

mines is all scratched up on the bottom[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] and its stock ride height...i almost cut myself from clean it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] also wen at idle and a cold day the exhuast vibrate soo much especially in the front sway bar and rear end bumper..its annoying[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
when you go for performance theres always a price to pay..yes i got a speeding ticket! damn profiled:cry:..

macrossranma 04-19-2002 01:49 PM

its kinda off topic, but other than the muffler hitting the ground, how about the performance?notice any gain and in what rpm?thanx, o, and any lose of torque?

02CarbonCivic 04-19-2002 01:53 PM

I noticed a gain... I dont know in what RPM really but I could tell a difference overall.... my g/f was like "Your car is so much faster." I thought that was funny but at least she could tell a difference and I didnt notice any loss in torque.... I highly recomend it :tup::tup:

macrossranma 04-19-2002 01:55 PM

yes, haha, getting it in 2 weeks, yes, i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

icey 04-19-2002 02:17 PM

<< mines is all scratched up on the bottom and its stock ride height...i almost cut myself from clean it also wen at idle and a cold day the exhuast vibrate soo much especially in the front sway bar and rear end bumper..its annoying >>

Your piping shouldnt be hitting the sway bar at all...did you tighten it from the back to front? I know it sounds stupid, but thats what you need to do with Lx and Dx models in order to stop the piping from hitting the sway bar. PM me or Email me if you have questions.

thanks
Bryan

spoiledsteph 04-19-2002 06:21 PM

i got it installed on tuesday and the u-bolts aren't scraping...they are hittin the heat shield. and its really annoying...

oh yeah and i scrape when i am backin outa my driveway, not goin up it....but i think thats cuz i haven't learned how to drive with the exhaust much bigger yet....gonna take some time....

other than that, its great. i like the sound, and the smell went away after a coupla days, thank goodness!

the1sthotboy 04-19-2002 06:28 PM

just my tip hits when going up or down hills....& my car isn't even lowered!:susp:
Imagine if I lower it ?:susp:
sounds good though -had mine for about 4 months already!! whoo ho (in homersimpsons voice)

DukeTheNuke 04-19-2002 07:24 PM

This is kind of off topic but WTF. Well the other day I went to look at the magnaflow exhaust and they have like three different ones not sure which one to get. advise from people with manaflow exhaust

chewsciv 04-19-2002 07:39 PM

Personally I love mine - it sounds and looks great and I can can really notice the difference in the power and a little bit of torque

MexMike 04-20-2002 01:54 AM

Yea don't get me wrong...I thinks this exhaust is Bada$$ and I get compliments all the time that it is not too loud and ricey. I just hate hearing that scraping sound when goin' up an incline:shake: Every time I am like Mama Noooooo! Yea, I looked and there are 2 screws sticking way out. I am not sure if it is these scraping or the muffler....can I shave these screws?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

kristy 04-20-2002 09:54 PM

Hey Mexmike! Those are your u-bolts! you can have them turned sideways so the screws are not facing downwards but towards the side, it will give you more clearance! Or you can have ur pipes welded together!:)

MexMike 04-21-2002 02:23 AM

Thanks for the help Kristy....the U bolts are hitting but so is the edge of the muffler.:shake:I am gonna see if I can have them turned sideways...I looked and they are only like an 1 1/2" off the damn ground!:susp:Thanks for the info!

Wanger 04-22-2002 04:21 PM

can't do anything about the muffler hitting, but the guy that installed it for me shaved off the bolts and turned the middle ubolt to it's side.... and no scrapping, but my car's not lowered.

SQCivic 04-22-2002 04:47 PM

Not a single problem with my Magnaflow either. Get you some band clamps to replace the U-bolts or shave the bolt ends and turn them to the side like was mentioned above.

I've had mine since the 2nd group buy. The sound really does get better and better the longer you have the exhaust. I love the sound of this system.

azn2k1civic 04-25-2002 05:27 AM

<< I am pretty sure it is the muffler hitting. Mine is bolted on. Everything else seems to high off the ground to hit. Even when I ease up a steep driveway I hear it tap the floor. I am like damnit!:shake: Anything I can do? Please help:) >>

drive diagonally over the drive way, meaning take like one wheel at a time over it, sorta. get what i mean??? works for me...but my car's not dropped as low as yours

icey 04-25-2002 12:21 PM

just curious as to how much your cars are dropped? Cus i'm lowered too and dont have ANY probalems with scraping....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

spoiledsteph 04-25-2002 01:05 PM

im lowered like 2" in front, 2.5 rear....and my midpipe hangs way low......its like im missing a hanger or something, cuz it hangs way low...even the muffler is hanging weird. its like when you hit something that is held together, and it bends? its kinda like that. im gonna take it to a shop to see if they can weld it or something so that i don't scrape anymore...

icey 04-25-2002 02:23 PM

yeah...well i'm only around 1.3...so i guess thats why i dont have problems..yeah it still shouldnt be so low that it is scraping though....yeah take it to a muffler shop i guess and see what they have to say

Mbow 04-25-2002 05:15 PM

I had all my joints welded except up at the cat. I don't think the u-bolts completely seal the connections. I had them welded because one was leaking and upon getting under the lift at the garage, another joint had an ever so small leak. It could be possible that the pipes are sliding into and out of each other under certain conditions causing the system to drop a little and scrape.

Blown 04-26-2002 10:07 AM

My car isn't lowered but I definitly scraped the clamps on speed bumps and curbs. I just learned to drive diaganol over everything and it's fine now. If you're worried about scraping your pipe, jack up your car and check it out for yourself. I was paranoid the first time I scraped but when I looked at it, only the clamp was scraped a bit.

As for gains, I have a AEM CAI installed as well and it really hauls at 4000rpm and up. Definitly is a lot faster, I dropped my 0-60 time from 10.5 to 8.47 with those mods and some practice. Mind you, I have a LX, so those times are decent.

MexMike 04-26-2002 12:04 PM

SpoiledSteph......That is my problem exactly![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] I hope getting it turned sideways fixes it. I went to McDonalds the other day and they have a steep a$$ drive:eek: Why!? I scraped the living hell outta my shiz! Damnit![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

Machina 04-26-2002 02:08 PM

I just got it installed today and the clamps are facing down...they might trim the bolts for me...but what sucks is the grinding noise I hear when I turn right and hit bumps...WTF?