Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   aem cold air intake? ONE PEICE OR TWO? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/32464-aem-cold-air-intake-one-peice-two.html)

mwwhonda 04-16-2002 01:05 PM

aem cold air intake? ONE PEICE OR TWO?

i have an 01 civic ex, and i purchased an aem cold air intake for it SEVERAL months ago....after browsing this site for several hours every day, ive seem to come accross something, well, odd? my aem cold air intake is two peices, meaning in the middle it must be joined by a silicon joint.....i have seen numerous pics w/ the aem intake as ONE peice? how is this so!?

thanks, mark

RSXtypeIvtec 04-16-2002 01:12 PM

you might hvae been lookin at AEM Short Ram intakes...

Da2k1wicivic 04-16-2002 01:24 PM

Mine is a 2 peice as well and if I am not mistaken it goes from 3" tubing to 2 1/2 tubing towards the throttle body. Correct me if I am wrong.

mwwhonda 04-16-2002 01:44 PM

<< Mine is a 2 peice as well and if I am not mistaken it goes from 3" tubing to 2 1/2 tubing towards the throttle body. Correct me if I am wrong. >>

mine does the same exact thing!

take a look at this picture, 2nd picture down (civic w/ clear hood)

his aem cold air intake is ONE peice! i dont understand!~

pounds 04-16-2002 01:57 PM

the intakes for the LX and EX are different....one of em has 2 pieces (i think the LX) and the other has just one pipe...

im not 100%sure which one has 2 pipes but i think the LX does

NucRacer 04-16-2002 02:22 PM

Two pieces mean that it is set up for the Bypass valve (newer model)
One piece mean that it is an older one that was made before the bypass was created.
I asked AEM about it; so people with the one piece would have to cut the one piece into two pieces
to use the bypass valve.
That is the only true difference.
Hope that will help you guys.
Peace!:)[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]

TEKNIQ 04-16-2002 02:32 PM

Both intakes are two pieces but they are split at different spots. The Ex is splits after the second bend next to the engine where you can easily see it. The Lx splits after the 3rd bend just before your filter where you can't really see it.

sivikchik 04-16-2002 02:35 PM

my aem cai was 2 pieces... yay... a product question i can sorta answer..... yup, was 2 with the rubber (or whatever) piece in the middle connecting them. im learning... so im kinda slow...

AZ2K1Civic 04-16-2002 02:36 PM

Yup...

Intruder 04-16-2002 02:54 PM

yup two different sized pipes joined by a rubber fitting.

01BlackEM2 04-16-2002 03:43 PM

yep. mine is the same way

Linger 05-24-2002 03:50 AM

I own an AEM CAI, it came in two peices and if you want to add a bypass valve, you have to cut towards the top. The higher the better. the connector hose and hose clamp hold the peices together. thanks!

2001CivicChick 05-24-2002 02:37 PM

I just got an AEM cai, I was wondering, is the bypass valve really necessary? The intake doesn't fall that low, I know it would be safer, but does anyone think it's absolutley necessary? It seems as long as I avoid driving thru a foot deep puddle I would be safe...any comments appriciated [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Linger 05-24-2002 08:46 PM

yes the bypass is neccessary, unless you only take your car out when its dry. does anyone know why the bypass valve doesnt fit on one end, but fits the other? does this change when you cut? can you just keep tightening the hose clamp? HELP!