Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Octane booster (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/31398-octane-booster.html)

BassmanJP 04-08-2002 04:59 PM

Octane booster

ANybody has try some octane booster with the Civic ?

it is supposed to raise the octane level to about 104, so your gaz will not detonate until full piston compression. does it really make a difference ?

I just bought some injector cleaner / octane boost product and i'm going to try it at my next gaz refillement.

anyway ! see ya

Wanger 04-08-2002 05:05 PM

i hear those additives "of any kind" is very bad for our cars .....

black2k1vtec 04-08-2002 06:00 PM

just make sure they are O2 freindly. (No Lead).

BassmanJP 04-08-2002 07:32 PM

Fuel injectors cleaner in the gaz is alright ?

SuziQ 04-08-2002 07:53 PM

octane booster isn't necessary on cars without forced injection. in general, our cars can't optimize the reduced combustability (sp?) to make more power, however the downside is that car will have to run slightly hotter to burn the gas.

Bartkat 04-08-2002 11:26 PM

Just get some AVgas or Racing gas and say bye to your engine.

RockfordFosgateBwoy 04-09-2002 02:21 AM

i dont know if its true, but my uncle told me that if we use the octance booster we'll get pinging

in the manual it even says not to use any additives, if you arer that concerned about keeping your injectors clean, just use premium gas, its has the highest detergent content and tests have shown that repeated use of premium fuel will keep them cleaner, longer. But you gotta use it regularly, not once every 10 fillups....like all the time....

RF Bwoy

ImportAzn21 04-10-2002 03:52 AM

Octane booster....believe it or not is safe for ALL fuel injected cars. Reduces pinging and knocking. Lets your engine run better. BUT I wouldn't recomend it with 94 octane fuel.

scott

StolenSpark83 04-10-2002 09:52 PM

:susp:
[hr]
I've seen octane boosters like the NOS stuff all the time but the sad truth is, it's not worth the money. Here, lemme show you a site that gives some interesting info on octane boosters :
Homebrew Gasoline Octane Boosters

For all those who don't want to make the effort, it's right here...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homebrew Gasoline Octane Boosters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: I would NOT suggest that a person use the following fuel mixtures without considering the detrimental effects on your engine, vital engine components (O2 sensor, etc), and other potential damage. That said, the information is interesting.
Original published in:

GS-Xtra
1213 Gornto Road
Valdosta, GA 31602
(912) 244-0577

Editor: Richard Lasetter, president Gran Sport Club of America (GSCA)

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

:) Hope I shed some light for you guys....

Collective 04-10-2002 10:11 PM

Waste of money unless your car is setup to take advantage of the extra octane... :tdown: