Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Audi A6 HID projector conversion? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/30019-audi-a6-hid-projector-conversion.html)

Exbauer 03-29-2002 05:15 PM

Audi A6 HID projector conversion?

I got HIDs in my car and found the beam pattern to suck. I have made several sheilds and placed the bulbs to hit the focal point, but alas the beam pattern still sucked. It gives off the white light, but not a lot of it hits the road. But, it does give that great look of HIDs when you look at them.

Anyway, I got my hands on Audi A6 HID projectors and wanted to know if anybody has done a conversion with a 7th gen. Civic? I have seen several conversions on Accords, Preludes, and older Civics but nothing for a 7th gen. Civic. I attempted to do it on my own and found it really difficult. The hardest part is making a shroud...kinda like a shield to hide everything else behind the projector. I would like to know if somebody has done this on their Civic or knows if the projectors tornactive.com is selling can be replaced with an Audi A6 projector. If I get projector housings, I can also have high beams, which would be a plus.]

Thanks in advance.

klam 03-29-2002 06:18 PM

If that is possible, that would be great. But why not get those TYC headlights, they already have a low-beam projector?

PS: What happened to your Member's Rides pages? I remember seeing your car with 205/55/16 tires, I wanted to ask you what you thought about them and how much wheel gap you have with that set up (i.e. from sheet metal to top of tire)? Thanks.

BAK 03-29-2002 07:37 PM

Klam - sent you an email about the 205/55-16's I'm rolling on, since your PM isn't turned on.

BAK

ShadyMilkMan 03-29-2002 09:51 PM

I have a friend who has an a6and he compliments me on my martix black projector headlights i dont really like the a6's headlight housing just buy the matrix ones they will look and function alot better, and it will save you time and money

Exbauer 03-29-2002 11:01 PM

I want to do the conversion because you need a HID projector to get the proper beam pattern and not blind oncoming traffic. I an considering getting the TYC projectors, but want to know if I can just replace the projector easily or will it be difficult.

I will check tomorrow about the wheel space with those tires.

CivicVTec 03-29-2002 11:55 PM

i got no problem with my HID at all...i had for a long time now..and it works fine

Exbauer 03-30-2002 09:49 AM

Did you just put an adaptor on the bulb and place it into your headlight or did you make shields and focus the light on the focal point? If you compare the light output and beam pattern to a IS300 or any car with reflector HIDs the 7th gen. Civic sucks. Reflectors for HIDs and halogen headlights are different. You need e-code headlights to acheive the beam pattern.

klam 03-30-2002 12:30 PM

Yeah, it's not advisable to use our multi-reflector headlights for HID. I remember reading another message somewhere stating that because our headlights are designed around a 55W H4 bulb, with about one-third the light ouput of a HID, it can't spread the beam pattern to thinly and so concentrates it. Whereas with HID headlights, the awesome light output (about 3X halogen) can be spread wide without thinning it out too much. If they concentrated it, like using halogen-designed headlights, it would be too concentrated. If you look at the beam pattern on a true HID car, like BMW, Lexus, M-B, it will be spread a lot wider... so wide you don't even need to bother with fogs!

Bartkat 03-30-2002 09:22 PM

My Catz Zeta system lights spread pretty wide. Much wider than stock or any of the "blue white" bulbs do.

Dave 03-30-2002 09:33 PM

Exbauer, what do you mean when you say bad pattern? Mine aims pretty high and straight with HIDs which is very hard to control. Also, the right side aims alot higher than the left because of that stupid DOT spec. beam pattern.

So you're saying that even with TYCs, the pattern will still suck?

Bartkat 03-30-2002 09:38 PM

You can adjust the headlights vertically, you know. I don't think there is any windage adjustment, but the elevation adjustment is easy.

Dave 03-30-2002 09:51 PM

Thanks, found your thread on adjustment.

Bartkat 03-30-2002 09:56 PM

You are talking about stock headlight housings, right?

Open the hood and look down at the headlights. There is a black brace pretty much at the top middle of the lights. Take a flashlight and look down and to the outside of that brace. There is a black plastic housing with a white placstic allen head screw. That white screw is your adjustment. Turn clockwise for down and counterclockwise for up.

You need a screwdrive or long allen wrench. You get to the screw by going down through a hole in that brace I mentioned.

Bartkat 03-30-2002 09:57 PM

Ok man.

I searched and looked and looked and one day I found out what that little white plastic thingy was for.

Exbauer 03-31-2002 07:37 AM

I am not sure about the TYC projector headlights. I am sure the light output for those will not be the same as HID projectors. Only Audi and BMW currently have HID projectors. Also, HEllA carries HID projectors you can buy. I had a friend that put HIDs in his Integra with stock projectors and it looked horrible. The light was scattered and fragmented. There was also a lot of glare from it. So, I think it would work the same way with the TYC projectors. I was thinking about using the TYC projector housings and just replacing the projector it came with with an Audi A6 projector.

Here is a good LINK to get more info on HIDs.

Dave 03-31-2002 02:05 PM

Thanks Exbauer,
and Bartkat, I almost made a "newbie" mistake by not searching.:)

Exbauer 03-31-2002 07:09 PM

Pictures of A6 projectors in stock headlights

Dave 04-02-2002 10:23 PM

Damn, thats awesome. It looks white head on, but does it have that purple color when looking at it at an angle?
Where can you purchase HID projectors from? I'm thinking about putting one in a TYC housing.

Bartkat 04-03-2002 01:04 AM

Try searching some online import car salvage yards. There's lots of used parts out there.