Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Roll Cage/Bars (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/29546-roll-cage-bars.html)

Vizyun 03-26-2002 10:18 AM

Roll Cage/Bars

Ok, I did a search on this, so if there's a previous forum on it, I didn't see it, but I'm entertaining the idea of putting in a roll cage/bars once I buy my new seats (sparco torinos: these joints are HOT!). I was wondering if anyone has put in racing seats and harnesses yet, and if so did you use a roll bar or a cage, or neither? RS Akimoto manufactures a cute little set of "monkey bars" that give the roll cage look, but are designed for show as opposed to actual safety. These would actually work for me if not for the fact that I drive a sedan. Does anyone have any info on them, anyone have them, anyone know if they can be modified to fit the sedan? Lots of questions about them. If you can answer any or just have information that may help, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!!:tup:

NoBottleJustThrottle 03-26-2002 10:39 AM

just dont roll your car then you wont even have to buy the bars :tup: :) j/k

leadfoot78 03-26-2002 04:23 PM

If its not a real roll cage don't get it. If you get something just for show that bolts on to the frame it wont do you any good. If you got in a crash with those fake bars the bolts would snap and go off like bullets and who knows where the bars would go maybe through your dashboard or through your chest. They will do more damage than good.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

pogi2k1ex 03-26-2002 04:25 PM

also keep in mind that racing harnesses are illegal for normal street use, because they restrict your movement...

Vizyun 03-27-2002 07:11 AM

Good Points. . . so what about a real one?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

CIVICMAN67 03-27-2002 02:22 PM

pogi2k1ex,
I had Simpson 5 point harnesses in my truck back in the day! My truck would pass inspection with them. I was pulled over numerous times for noise violation and the officers had no problems with harnesses. It may be b/c where you live, but in NC its legal!

CIVICMAN67 03-27-2002 02:34 PM

On the topic of the show tubes, My buddy has them in his acura! They are just sitting there, not even bolted in! We slammed the breaks and the just moved a little. I am considering them also! I feel if you had an accident bad enough for people to say "If he had a real roll cage, he would be alive today", then A) your driving to crazy on public streets or you got nailed by a big azz truck. b.) your on the drag strip an acident happens in a controlled enviroment it's a tragedy. Either way its just your time to go, in your car or at your house!

NorthernBob 03-27-2002 08:33 PM

Good call Civicman. Now about esthetics...

somehow a rollbar set which compliments racing seats installed in a Civic just seems to spell out, "I'm trying too hard to be a wannabe".

But hey. It's just my opinion and it's your money - tirofog! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Northern Bob

"Where snow is more than a state of mind"