Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   cleared headlights legal? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/29188-cleared-headlights-legal.html)

SpacemanBob 03-23-2002 11:08 AM

cleared headlights legal?

Is it legal to clear your headlights, like in the DIY on this site? Do you need to put an amber bulb in there for it to be legal? thanks!

QCKSILVR 03-23-2002 11:13 AM

The actual clearing is legal, however the front turn signal must emit amber in color.

Voiceofid 03-23-2002 11:21 AM

it's better to check with your local law enforcements, it's different for eah state
like here, it's legal long as it's emitting a white or a amber light. they won't pull you over for it, but if they do, you can get a ticket for no amber deflector. better off just go get some tyc projectors, imo

QCKSILVR 03-23-2002 11:28 AM

Yeah, your best bet is to check with your states Vehicle and Traffic law to see the requirements for forward facing turn signal indicators. I know New York requires amber, and it is unlawful for a forward facing clear flashing light, however, I'm sure there are other states which permit it. So I would just check your state's laws.

FURY 03-23-2002 02:23 PM

If anybody in Cali cares, it's legal.

Mbow 03-23-2002 02:29 PM

I don't think the headlights being clear would be ilegal in any state. Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights. I am willing to bet that every state says they have to light up a certain color when they blink though because that is all that really matters. I mean why would anyone care what color they are when they are not blinking?

Duckor 03-23-2002 02:31 PM

how do you find state laws? trying on yahoo and altavista and im not finding anything[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

QCKSILVR 03-23-2002 03:33 PM

Mbow you are right about the law not being concerned with what color the lens is...I haven't read any law that says what color the lens has to be, I've only seen that the actual turn signal has to be amber when activated.

Duckor, try looking for your states Department of Motor Vehicles website.

robbclark1 03-23-2002 08:34 PM

This is what i heard. There doesn't need to be an amber turning bulb but and amber reflector. They put amber in the front and red in the back to distinguish the back from the front. SO the bulb can be clear but there needs to be an amber reflector in the front.

sherwin 03-28-2002 11:32 AM

y wud u guys want 2 clear ur headlyts? i think ur stock headlyts luk nyc.. here in d phils all civics come win stock ckear headlyts. all hv 2 do is change d signal bulb n its all clear... ive bin lukin 4 those headlyts bt theres nothn lyk dat here in our country [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

Juggaman 03-28-2002 02:55 PM

<< y wud u guys want 2 clear ur headlyts? i think ur stock headlyts luk nyc.. here in d phils all civics come win stock ckear headlyts. all hv 2 do is change d signal bulb n its all clear... ive bin lukin 4 those headlyts bt theres nothn lyk dat here in our country [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG] >>

"In English please...In English..." - Usual Suspects [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I had them on my old car for 2 years and never heard a word from anyone until I put red bulbs in there.

uicmedruss 03-28-2002 03:24 PM

<< ...Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights... >>

Yeah, but every single one of those cars has an amber reflector on the front sides outside of the headlight assembly. You need a front mounted amber reflector in order to be DOT compliant. That's why the TYC projectors are able to be street legal, is because they have that little wedge. Having amber colored bulbs will prolly keep the fact that you don't HAVE the reflector from being noticed as easily, though...

bhaz413 03-29-2002 05:57 PM

you need to have the amber on the side of the headlight to make it legal. personally i wont do it, looks cheesy. Same with those altizza's crap.

GeNoZiDe 04-02-2002 11:05 AM

I stuck on blue blubz all round
:)
its illegal but wha eva [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
LOL havent had probz yet

galaga3 04-02-2002 01:41 PM

what if you left your lights clear, but had amber side markers, would that work?

NickDaMans02Civic 04-02-2002 07:06 PM

Yeah I did mine the other day and I have Xtreme PIAA bulbs all around and it looks good, its just dumb they even have orange on the front, I have seen even Chevy Trucks come from the dealer with clear corners on them with no orange. Yeah Altezza I just can't believe how much red they have, I will refuse to buy them until they get less red and I know people who will agree. I had all Clear Taillights, and corners on my 88 Civic and never had problems. So I mean if you like something different than stock tails then all power to ya on those. But yeah white and orange are legal here in Arizona, and never heard of someone getting tickets for cleared headlights.

Nick

mikepride 04-03-2002 04:59 PM

Ive never had any problem with the police. From what Ive heard most of the time the cops just give you a repair order.

oblivious9 04-03-2002 06:16 PM

<< I don't think the headlights being clear would be ilegal in any state. Look at all the cars that come from the factory with completely clear lights. I am willing to bet that every state says they have to light up a certain color when they blink though because that is all that really matters. I mean why would anyone care what color they are when they are not blinking? >>

As long as it's stock, it's legal (such as mirror tint). Unfortunately, it's illegal in most states to have a white turn signal.