Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Questions about the TYC projector headlights please? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/28114-questions-about-tyc-projector-headlights-please.html)

jimmymingdahai 03-15-2002 02:27 PM

Questions about the TYC projector headlights please?

I was just wonderring what kind of light bulbs are used on the low beam and high beam on those TYC projector headlights? I already bought them but I don't know what kind of bulbs I should buy along with them..already had some H3 bulbs for the high beam..do I need another pair of H3 bulbs? Thank you.

slikor 03-15-2002 02:32 PM

i havent got my TYC's yet, but VoiceOfId, who has a pair on his car, told me based on what the bulb looks like he thinks both the high and low beams are H1. i may be wrong, or i might have remembered what he said wrong, but the best way for you to find out for sure is find a pic of H1 and H3 bulbs and compare what your bulbs look like to those. worst case, just take your high and low beam bulbs to like a car dealership or a shop or something and they will [hopefully] know.

jimmymingdahai 03-15-2002 02:35 PM

thanks a lot![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Colombian4Lyf 03-15-2002 03:27 PM

The bulbs in the projectors are H3 the high beam Im no to sure of....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

jimmymingdahai 03-15-2002 05:52 PM

OK guys, I'm kinda confused..are they H1 or H3?

tcneo 03-15-2002 06:01 PM

both low and high are H1 (for sure, coz i just checked it - the headlights are sitting behind me) [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

BLUENVY01 03-15-2002 07:45 PM

i heard also that the beams were H1 and H3, but im not 100% on this one, let alone do i know which one goes to which! ahaha, sorry!

jimmymingdahai 03-15-2002 08:14 PM

I can't believe it..the guy at the import revolution who sold me the bulbs told me that they would fit those TYC projectors..and they had a pair of them there too!! So now I gotta order another two pair of H1 bulbs? Does anyone know where can I get them cheap online? Thank a lot again..

eXNBP 03-16-2002 10:19 AM

try www.groupbuycenter.com need membership to view it (dont worry itll take like 2 seconds).

Voiceofid 03-16-2002 10:56 AM

far as i know, high/low uses h1 bulbs, because h3 has that wire thing comming out, and mine doesn't:tup: plus, glad we don't use h3, because they do not make hid for h3s:tdown:

NoBottleJustThrottle 03-17-2002 02:33 AM

actually there are like 3 companies that have HID for the H3 bulb...i know because ive seen with my own two eyes.

tcneo 03-17-2002 03:10 AM

<< far as i know, high/low uses h1 bulbs, because h3 has that wire thing comming out, and mine doesn't:tup: plus, glad we don't use h3, because they do not make hid for h3s:tdown: >>

one more thing... the light pattern on H1(horizontal selenoid) is more similar to HIDs(spread the light vertically), coz the selenoid in H3 are vertical.... thus it spread the light horizontaly.....
it'll be clearer if u compare those 2 bulbs and see the parts that light up

showoff 03-17-2002 10:14 AM

<< one more thing... the light pattern on H1(horizontal selenoid) is more similar to HIDs(spread the light vertically), coz the selenoid in H3 are vertical.... thus it spread the light horizontaly.....
it'll be clearer if u compare those 2 bulbs and see the parts that light up
>>

What are you talking about? Beam pattern is determined by optical placement of the filament within the light housing. No matter what direction the filament is vertical or horizontal it will not affect the beam pattern. Only when the actual hot spot of the filament is moved outside reflective or parabolic range it changes the beam pattern. Also HIDs don't have a vertical spread its arc is only controled by the housing its encased in. The HID bulb doesn't have any vertical or horizontal positioning like a halogen bulb it is centrally located in the middle of the quartz glass tube.

tcneo 03-17-2002 11:36 AM

excuse me there.... heheh i don't mean the beam pattern as what comes out from the projector.... but look at it as the beam that comes out from light source itself... H1 and HID spread vertically (imagine seeing the lighted HID bulbs minus the reflector from one of it's end.... it's not as bright as if u see it from above/below) and H3 horizontally.
that's why a retrofitted H3 HID won't work as good as the other bulbs unless you position the HID bulb vertically, the beam coming out of the light sources doesn't behave in the same way if u placed both in the same manner (both vertical or horizontal)
this behaviour is described in this page, look at the description for H3 HID and H1 HID

VTECpnay01 03-20-2002 04:00 PM

H1!!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]