Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Brake upgrade question. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/27835-brake-upgrade-question.html)

02Si 03-13-2002 01:40 PM

Brake upgrade question.

Front big brake upgrade or, drum to disc brake conversion for the rear?

insan 03-13-2002 02:29 PM

if ur picking witch one to get first. i would go with the rear first...... i don't know about ur car but it seems like the back drums don't do sh*t....everytime i have to slam my brakes on cause of some moron, my nose dives, bad.. i just rather get the rear first my self so when i do spike my brakes the car will stop with better wight distubution instead of the nose diving down.......[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] then get the front done......but then again if ur looking at more for show right now get the front

Red2k1ex 03-13-2002 02:45 PM

AEM Front big brake upgrade...

slikor 03-13-2002 02:50 PM

currently, there is no one that i know of that makes a rear disc brake conversion kit for our cars...AEM only makes the one for 2000 and below Civics.

but they have the O.E. Big Rotor Brake kit which sounds nice for our front brakes...thats what i want

AFlyer 03-13-2002 05:26 PM

dude, your nose will always dive when you brake, no matter what brakes you're using. it dives because of the weight transfer, and all the weight is in the nose with the engine. i would go with the front brake upgrade first because of that weight transfer. it's why we have disc in the front and drum in the rear to begin with, because the front brakes are used a lot harder than the rear. AEM big brake for front, then do rear if you have money for it.

Vizyun 03-19-2002 10:35 AM

Maybe I'm just a newbie[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG], but to date I'm not aware of anyone manufacturing a rear drum-to-disc conversion for a civic beyond 2000. However, in an earlier-this-year issue of Velocity (HONDA-Acura Club Magazine), several aftermarket companies were given the opportunity to do everything they could to a civic (Wings West, RS Akimoto, DC, HKS, HONDA), and if I recall correctly, the AEM Civic had prototype rear disc brakes, so perhaps they are just soon to come. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
By the way, I'm not sure, but I think the Wilwood is developing a front disc brake upgrade for the civic that will have stronger calipers in addition to a larger cross-drilled and slotted rotor.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG]

FurBall 04-24-2002 08:57 AM

If any of you guys have hookups in Canada, beg your local scrap dealers to keep an eye out for 2k1/2k2 1.7 ELs... We have 4 wheel disc, and if you can make it off with the back discs, they'll be a PERFECT fit.... The car's a friggen match to the Civic... Or, if you've got the dough, get the parts directly from Honda Canada....

dragoon 04-24-2002 09:05 AM

<< If any of you guys have hookups in Canada, beg your local scrap dealers to keep an eye out for 2k1/2k2 1.7 ELs... We have 4 wheel disc, and if you can make it off with the back discs, they'll be a PERFECT fit.... The car's a friggen match to the Civic... Or, if you've got the dough, get the parts directly from Honda Canada.... >>

any difference between the sedans and the coupes?

Voiceofid 04-24-2002 10:03 AM

there are no el1.7 coupes

black2k1vtec 04-24-2002 07:22 PM

New SiR has rear disc!:tup: