Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   For Those Who Has Aem Pulley's..... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/23190-those-who-has-aem-pulleys.html)

1028CiViC 02-06-2002 06:33 PM

For Those Who Has Aem Pulley's.....

i am planning to get aem pulleys for my lx coupe i was just wondering do you people who have them feel any difference? or it's not worth to get... and what about cam gear?

black2k1vtec 02-06-2002 06:44 PM

Pulleys: Im thinkin of getting them
cam Gear: not worth much unless you have a upgraded cam.

1028CiViC 02-06-2002 06:47 PM

i am planning to get them but than i don't know if there's performance on them..cause i have heard people with these pulley's they can feel anything..so i wanna get more people's opinion before i get them[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

black2k1vtec 02-06-2002 06:49 PM

They free up some weight on the belts...any loss of unsprung weight is good.:tup:

01civic911 02-06-2002 06:50 PM

I installed the pulleys, but did not put the alternator pulley in because I had heard of people having problems with lack of power. I would say putting the one in produced more low end torque and gave overall a little more power, not as much as AEM would claim though. I would say for the price its a nice little addition and worth it if youre looking for a little power increae in the lower end.

Amphiprion 02-06-2002 06:51 PM

Truth........don't feel any difference........but I learned some more about my engine by installing them, and they look pretty damn cool[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

1028CiViC 02-06-2002 07:15 PM

guess there is little performance..i might think of it..how much did it cost? and did u guys install them your selve or?

TOOLOWCIVIC 02-06-2002 07:17 PM

If I get them would I see loss in power from the alternator?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

CapYoda 02-06-2002 08:34 PM

dont expect too much gains. 1-2 hp through the powerband? equivalent amount of torque?

now, a good thing about pullies, I dont think it'll have any decrease of hp/torque in the powerband.

however, for the alternator pully, if you have heavy in car entertainment... u might consider not using the alternator pully, or get a bigger alternator...

black2k1vtec 02-06-2002 09:19 PM

they go for about $129.

I might order some up one of these days.

1028CiViC 02-06-2002 09:24 PM

$129 is this online? and is it hard to install? or gotta take it out..
can some one give me the place to get these online...cheap though..
thanks.

Amphiprion 02-06-2002 09:29 PM

I ordered mine from www.optauto.com

I put them in myself......It took me about 4 hours, though I don't have the amount of experience under the hood that some other members here possess.......and yes, I had to remove the alternator. In fact, this install probably would have taken me longer, were it not for the fact that I have access to air tools and a lift.

Amphiprion 02-06-2002 09:31 PM

Incidentally, I run about an 850 watt audio system using a 4 guage kit.......and no light dimming occurs when my bass hits while idling.

1028CiViC 02-06-2002 09:40 PM

ok thanks..how long did they ship to u

ModNewbieHELPME 02-06-2002 11:16 PM

I didn;t see anyone bring this point up, however...

Pulleys are of more use to peopel once forced Induction is introduced.

basically when that happens the effect of the pulleys becomes compund, more power from turbo equal less wieght on engine thus more HP going to flywheel, and ultimatly to the wheel...

So while we may get 3 or 4 HP gain right away if/when we have a turbo dropped in we can get ten times that...theoretically. I cant give exact numbers but that has been seen in some cars.