Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Exhaust is quiet..... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/22875-exhaust-quiet.html)

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 05:07 PM

Exhaust is quiet.....

I got an exhaust and the dude told me this one gets loud as hell, but right now its just deep and quiet and doesnt do much...i would like a little but more sound out of it, well a lot more, and im not gonna change the headers until i got mo money, and i still have the resonator on, i want to take it off SO bad but im afriad of how much itll cost and is it worth it?... ive heard it only costs about 30-40 bux, but i want to recheck it, and how much sound does it add?

thanks
blueMEANIE

Hefe 02-04-2002 05:18 PM

What exhaust is it??

Yes take off the resinator........ should'nt cost that much

AEMcivic 02-04-2002 05:27 PM

Same thing happened to me when I put my exhaust on...
I liked the sound it put out, but it was very low, and it would fade away when my RPMs climbed over 2500...
I cut the resonator off, and I love the way it sounds now!!
Cut that sh!t off man! $40 bucks @ Meineke and they'll put your car up, cut the resonator off, and replace it w/ a piece of pipe. It took em about 10 min. when they did mine, and I was all grins as I drove away....:tup:

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 05:27 PM

its not a *great* exhaust, it was real cheap, but its O.K. i guess....its a RACTIVE or something, i cant exactly remember, but it supposed to be comparable to an N1, so well see....

silverhx 02-04-2002 06:30 PM

try changing your stock pipes to 2.25 inch from the cat all the way back that should help

Aznnp77 02-04-2002 06:36 PM

Is it an exhaust or just a muffler? People get exhaust and muffler mixed up sometimes, they're not the same thing obviously. I had an Apexi N1 muffler before, and the only noise it made was when I turned the car on, thats it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]. Well I got the resonator taken off, and I got what I wanted at the time, it was MUCH louder. It sounded ok at low RPM's, but kinda like a lawnmower. Toward high RPM's it got very raspy. You
ll probably get crap talk about how bad it sounds, unless you actually have the exhaust system with the catback piping. If you did have the piping though, it would be pretty loud I would expect. I'd advise you not to take it off unless you're doing piping, cuz it won't sound too good dude, take it from me, I've done it before. Oh yea, don't go to midas or wherever, they RAPED me in install. Resonator removal, straight pipe, and install, $109!!:eek:.

Flatlander 02-04-2002 06:52 PM

just tell them to run 2.25" pipe from the cat back and take off the resonator. Does it have a silencer? If so put it in, it will sound much better

klectic 02-04-2002 07:58 PM

wut is the pros and cons of removing the resonator

the place i was talkin to said, they're gonna re do my whole piping so its kinda like straight thru from my cat..
or something like that...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 08:04 PM

i had replaced the factory piping with 2.25" yes, but i told him to leave the cat and the resonator(not knowing what the resonator did, so stupid me, no researching, came home and was pissed.. i was like damn resonator...i shoulda looked on here....so tomarrow im going and he sed it was only 43$ total to get it cut, and replaced with plain 2.25" pipe...so thatll be betta....thanks a mil guys:):):):)

MagnaflowGuy 02-04-2002 08:14 PM

If you remove the resonator, it could get really LOUD....If you already have a complete cat-back, make sure the shop doesn'yt butcher the system you paid good money for....have them make a pipe to slip-fit into the place of the resonator assembly....it'll cost you 50-60 bucks to see if you like it, but if it doesn't sound right at least you can put the resonator back in..........

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 08:20 PM

no its not a complete catback, just the big piping to a muffler, the factory res and cat are also on the pipe with conversion pipes to make em fit...see what im sayin?:susp:

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 08:22 PM

i dont have a complete catback, just replaced the factory piping with bigga piping...the factory cat and res are on the pipe,...see what im saying.....?:susp:

BlueMeanie 02-04-2002 08:24 PM

sorry bout that...double post...didnt think the first one went thru....:shake:

C2i0v0i1C 02-04-2002 08:55 PM

you left them resonator on. that was dumb. and that must have a been a btch for the guy to put on. i got a APEXI N1 and 2.25 in pipng all the way adn no resonater. it sounds great. and where are u getting the prices on that 30-40. mine was 175 to do everything. cut old off. bend new 2.25, and weld the muffler on. and that was cheap compared to other places that i checked out before.

HShadow 02-04-2002 09:12 PM

I got my cat back 2.25 inch pipe all the way for $40. I connected that to my Greedy Sp bolt on. i wanted it very low and not too loud. I love my exhaust. Make car alarms go off now.:)