Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   running duals? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/21964-running-duals.html)

Cowboy 01-28-2002 07:12 PM

running duals?

Has anyone run a custom dual exhaust on their car, how did it sound, and how were the results, how much?

01civicboi 01-28-2002 07:14 PM

don't do it. i've seen one and let's just say [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
you'll just lose horsepower. DON'T do it:shake:

Cowboy 01-28-2002 07:20 PM

Are you saying that from actual technical knowledge or did you just hear that? it also provides great sound. If you did lose power, it would probably be negligable, i am looking for more show not go

Dakker 01-28-2002 07:44 PM

:tup: If your going for show no go then do it, get urself the G5 series bumper from WW and put a custom dual on there, it WILL sound nice, and no you won't lose horsepower, but you will lose some torque and I can explain this if need be, but you will lose tq. Who cares if your going for show though, it'll sound Phat!

Cowboy 02-07-2002 05:40 PM

In my opinion the g5 front is weak, the fenders and sides are nice the front i could do without

nookiemonster 02-07-2002 05:52 PM

Okay this topic has been covered before. If you run dual pipes not only are you losing backpressure, but you are running several risks. One, is that you will experience excess rust in your exhaust system. A D17 SOHC motor runs one header through an exhaust that heats up enough to only evaporate condensation in one exhaust system. When you run your car, your pipes heat up and of course, there will be condensation, but most of what you see on your rear bumper and piping is barely leftovers. Running two pipes will not yield enough exhaust flow and heat to get rid of the excessive water that forms as a result of the catalysts' chemical reaction. That is the main reason why I think you should can this idea. Another reason is the fact that I've heard, I kind of doubt it, but I've heard of people running dual pipes, caused sucking a valve through the exaust system. Too much flow could cause this in an extreme case. I highly doubt that though. I do need to tell you that you have to try and keep your backpressure though. Imagine trying to blow up a balloon that has a hole in the other end of it. You can blow until your testes come through your nostrils, but you won't fill the balloon. It's kind of funny, but it's the same concept. Being a hummer mechanic for several years, I think that this advice will help you. Sorry for the long posting though...

Intruder 02-07-2002 06:00 PM

Nookiemonster's got a poitn with the rust thing, but most reputable shops can mandrel bend stainless, so that'd be a good route. Anyway, depending on where you run the duals from, running 2" piping would help to minimize any power loss associated with excess flow, and if you are running duals just form the rear section (axle-back) then power losses would be minimal anyway from the bottleneck between the cat and the rear section. I had duals run of my Jeep back in the day and the top-end was crazy. Peace.

Perfectcivic 02-07-2002 10:44 PM

you could always just run a dummy pipe so it looked like you had dual it would solve your backpressure problems im thinkin about it

littlecow 02-08-2002 10:26 AM

I was contemplating doing that but after I researched the topic more and found out that there would be power loss... :shake:

mykel115 02-08-2002 10:58 AM

I thought The whole Idea of Intake and Exhaust is to get more air as possible and release more exhaust gas as more as possible. So the bigger the Intake and Exhaust mean better breathing for engine

Shaitan 02-08-2002 11:41 AM

Cowboy, I know jack about the technical ins and outs of this idea, but I can tell you this. I saw a 2k1 civic yesterday that had run dual exhaust, and it made me want to cry it was so beautiful. Now, as for body kit, I agree with Dakker. The WW G5 would look best with dual exhaust except for the front end, I don't like it either. My suggestion would be to get the sideskirts and rear valance of the WW G5, and purchase the Xenon front end, it is a full replacement front bumper made of polyurethane. There, I put my 2 cents in, hope it helps.