Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Parts and Products (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products)
-   -   Dual exhaust? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2-parts-products/20635-dual-exhaust.html)

overcast 01-08-2002 05:36 PM

Dual exhaust?

does anyone know if it would be worth putting on a full custom duall exhaust by having a 2.5 in. mandrel bent pipe with a "Y" pipe going to 2 racing mufflers?

mohawkboom 01-08-2002 05:42 PM

for looks it's up to.. you
ll be rice bashed.. but it's cool.. tis your automobile dude.. but use only 2" piping after the Y-pipe.. and 2.25" piping into thye Y-pipe.. you need some exhaust restriction for low end power.

Cheers
Mohawk

antidote11 01-08-2002 05:42 PM

You know what they say....Money talks !! If you have the cash, they'll dual exhaust it.

overcast 01-08-2002 05:44 PM

its actually cheaper to do that than to buy the dc sports for $600 and it would look very sweet

Cowboy 01-08-2002 05:48 PM

The duals are pretty sweet. One of the loudest and best sounding imports ive ever heard was and accord that had duals.

LexBoy 01-08-2002 06:41 PM

duals all the way if i had the money and the time to mess with that

AlphaInfinity 01-08-2002 08:03 PM

duals =rice in my opinion. But, if you got the ca$$ and you wanna do it, go for it.

Now why do people say it's rice? Well, my personal take on it is this:

Most cars with dual exhaust systems have almost twice or three times the horsies. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] The Accord V6 coup for example sits at 200. The Cadillac Escalade SUV that pumps out 345 hp has a single.

Macko 01-08-2002 09:57 PM

i think MAGNAFLOW makes dual system for our cars

1028CiViC 01-08-2002 09:59 PM

i think the magnaflow is universal..not perfect fit~

ANT 01-22-2002 03:53 PM

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]dual exaust is no good if u have to big of a pipe u will have no back pressure at all. i would say that if i were to do that id have 2in piping all the way back no bigger and i would also have a free flow cat. if not ur back pressure is gone. thats just my 2 cents. holla

drummermattie02 01-22-2002 07:49 PM

Just my opinion, but dual exhausts only serve a purpose when the engine is in a V configuration (V's have 2 sets of headers, inline's only have one). So if you're looking for power, a good quality single exhaust would work fine. If it's the looks you're after, then I'm sure there are a bunch of custom apps out there for your needs.

RallyEX 01-22-2002 09:32 PM

If you are going for looks, and you want it, go with the duals.

Any real person who knows alot about motors will tell you what drummermattie just told you. It really only makes a difference with cars that have 2 banks of cylinders.

BY THE WAY, this is for you ANT. Backpressure in the terms we use it in is a MYTH. Learn the science of it and understand that backpressure is commonly mistaken for Delta Pressure, or a change in pressure. An engine absolutely needing backpressure is a myth, however pressure flow can increase HP at certain RPM ranges/levels.

Here, read and learn, folks.

GTekCiViC 01-22-2002 09:42 PM

I agree with MohawkBoom.......

If your gonna get dual exhaust....... get a small piping about 2 inches and try
to not let ur mufflers have more than a 3" tip...... jsut cause u have a big
opening for exhaust fumes to go out of....... it doesn't mean ur engine has
the horsepower to fill that hole........(unless ur running 175 plus horse at the wheel)
So take that into mind.........

Personally i was planning on getting dual exhaust..... but i was gonna go for 2.25 inch straight
pipe frum cat, into Y piping with a 2.5 inch tip mufflers....... even though my horsepower may not
compensate for the exhaust setup i want........ i always thought that I will MOD enough to fill the
ratio between horsepower and exhaust spittin......

Sum of you might not agree but this method is what i believe will work....... for me anyways :)

WeSSoN 01-23-2002 03:06 PM

YEAH JUST DONT USE 2 MUFFLERS!!!!!!!!

Spaulding 01-23-2002 05:34 PM

Dude, 2 mufflers for a 1.7 Liter engine?

If you want show, that's what you'll get.

Even with an engine in a "V" arrangement, the headers generally come together through the cat, and then split back out via a "Y" pipe for the twin mufflers.

I'd go for a decent single can muffler. But it is your car . . . Ricifiy it as you will :shake:

Good luck in your muffler endeavours

SlickRickCivic 01-23-2002 06:14 PM

I personally like 1 pipe stuckout right in front of rear wheel

ZZCIVIC 01-24-2002 04:41 PM

That is true, backpressure is really a negative pressure, and will pulllllllllll out the exhaust and also help to pull more air through your motor, you want a good flow, one that is tuned for the car, read that link that was posted above, it is very informative. The flowing exhause will create some inertia, that will pull more air thru, and therefor more HP

PICHY 03-30-2002 10:19 AM

RallyEX
wazup kid? over all am i gonna loose hp or what? In the first week of may im doing my duals 2 matrix type x mufflers with custom 2.0" pipe. hit me back....

VTECpnay01 04-02-2002 03:01 PM

whats the point of ual exhaust ifyoure not running a v6 or even turbo?! all youre doing is losing massive power to your car... i think it is a waste of money

Cowboy 04-02-2002 05:45 PM

The reason people do it is because they look good and sound great.

pon 04-02-2002 07:21 PM

i'am getting a custum dual exhaust with Apexi Dunk 2.5 pipe

mikepride 04-03-2002 05:07 PM

There is very little performance gain but it looks good with certain body kits.