Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/199-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades)
-   -   5 pin underdash lighting switch install (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/199-i-c-e-audio-electrical-upgrades/359155-5-pin-underdash-lighting-switch-install.html)

Brads Si 03-22-2014 09:08 PM

5 pin underdash lighting switch install

I have a 2013 that I installed my own under dash lighting into. It comes on with the courtesy lights, but I know that the 2012 had a switch to control the lights. According to a friend that had a 2012, the switch would change between constant on, or on and off with the dome lights.
I purchased Honda switch 08E10-TA0-1M035 SW ASSY,AMBIENT LT. I have searched other forums, and have found out how to wire it to turn the lights on and off. What I am hoping to accomplish, is to find a wiring diagram, that will operate the lights, as they did from the factory.
Since I have not seen a thread about this issue on this forum, does anyone know how this is done, but it just hasn't been discussed?

Thank you
Brad

ezone 03-22-2014 09:50 PM

Re: 5 pin underdash lighting switch install

Originally Posted by Brads Si (Post 4660251)
I have a 2013 that I installed my own under dash lighting into. It comes on with the courtesy lights, but I know that the 2012 had a switch to control the lights. According to a friend that had a 2012, the switch would change between constant on, or on and off with the dome lights.
I purchased Honda switch 08E10-TA0-1M035 SW ASSY,AMBIENT LT. I have searched other forums, and have found out how to wire it to turn the lights on and off. What I am hoping to accomplish, is to find a wiring diagram, that will operate the lights, as they did from the factory.
Since I have not seen a thread about this issue on this forum, does anyone know how this is done, but it just hasn't been discussed?

Thank you
Brad

On the 12, the ambient lights were wired (via the VSA OFF switch connector) to come on with the parking lights, not the dash lights or the dome lights. These are not dimmable.

The switch only enables or disables them, it does not turn them on and off at will.

An ambient light kit for a 13 does not have a switch at all. They are just wired directly into the dash lights circuit via the ECON switch connector.
These ARE dimmable with the dash lights, according to the wiring diagram.

is to find a wiring diagram,
Honda gives us no paper wiring diagrams for the 13 Civic. They are all electronic now.
Hell, there are no paper manuals for any of the cars now.

I can try to help, which setup would you like me to try to describe as far as wiring the plug?

Brads Si 03-23-2014 03:04 AM

Thank you Ezone. I have mine currently wired into the 20 pin connector that runs the dome lights. As you mention, when the dome lights dim, so do the LED strips.
Through some of the other forums, I have found the schematic to get the switch to enable or disable the light. I was just under the misguided belief that there was a possibility of the option of full on, or operate like the dome lights.
Thank you for the fast response, and willingness to help.

Brad

FWIW, I noticed on other forums, most folks tap into the #23 fuse block. I found that by unplugging the 20 pin, the LED wire is fine enough to insert into the female plug, connect again, and you have tapped into a hot, in a matter of seconds.
There are two particular wires, side by side, on the plug, that I was able to select for power. One is constant on, and the other works in concert with the dome light circuit.

ezone 03-23-2014 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Brads Si (Post 4660281)
I was just under the misguided belief that there was a possibility of the option of full on, or operate like the dome lights.

You can wire into whatever circuit you want.

Keyed power, dome lights, dash lights, or park lights.
Or maybe something else?

You just have to find the right circuits to tap.

If you have some creative diode knowledge, you might be able to make them operate through multiple power sources.

There are two particular wires, side by side, on the plug, that I was able to select for power. One is constant on, and the other works in concert with the dome light circuit.
If you found what you needed already, that's cool.

Brads Si 03-23-2014 08:45 AM

Ezone, I am afraid I wasn't clear. I am an idiot. When it comes to wiring, creative diode knowledge, is as far above my head, as are the clouds.
If I were to have a schematic of some sort, I have a friend that would know how to assemble it, but it is far beyond my skill level. I can synchronize the two carburetors on my Austin Healey to one another, but that is mechanical. Electrical, no way.
What I would WANT, if possible, IS...
I like what I currently have, with the lights coming on, when the doors open. They allow me to see the floor to make sure there is no obstructions, on entering the car.
What I would like, is a switch that will allow this to continue, but to also, at the press of that switch, change them to full on. That way, if something is dropped by the passenger, I can turn the floor lights on, for retrieval of said object. Hit the switch again, they go off, but will function with the door switch/dome lights, again.
I know where the full power wire is, and where the dome power wire is. What I don't know, is how to make this switch work, by alternating between both power supplies.

Brad

Brads Si 03-23-2014 09:25 AM

Ezone, to give you an idea how bad my comprehension is. I still have not been able to figure out how to get the Nav system to come up with the radio screen rather than the GPS that it always defaults to.
On a brighter note, I have finally figured out how to get the damned clock on the front of the VCR to stop blinking.....

ezone 03-23-2014 09:25 AM

creative diode knowledge,
The diodes would be used to isolate. So you could use power (or ground) from multiple sources to run your new lights, yet not have a backfeed that would turn on the main dome lights.

I know where the full power wire is, and where the dome power wire is. What I don't know, is how to make this switch work, by alternating between both power supplies.
Problem: The domes use ground as the control circuit, not power. That's how the dome lights are controlled-- constant power / switched ground.

I can think of 2 possibilities....(but would need to experiment a little to make sure it would work first....)

For one, an additional switch would be needed.....

A 3 position switch (ON-OFF-ON) wired to 2 different ground sources (one from the dome lights, one from chassis ground).

For the other idea, you have the lights wired to come on with the dome circuits, but your dash switch (08E10-TA0-1M035 SW ASSY,AMBIENT LT.) can now supply a separate ground to turn them on manually.
Diode would need to go in the ground side of dome circuit so domes don't come on when the switch is on.

Another issue would be that you have to make sure your switch is off every time you get out of the car so your lights are not left on to run the battery down..... Remember, the dome lights are wired with constant battery power so whatever you tap in can run the battery down.

ezone 03-23-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brads Si (Post 4660295)
Ezone, to give you an idea how bad my comprehension is. I still have not been able to figure out how to get the Nav system to come up with the radio screen rather than the GPS that it always defaults to.
On a brighter note, I have finally figured out how to get the damned clock on the front of the VCR to stop blinking.....

LOL

Should be a button labeled 'audio'?

I'd have to see it in front of me. Too many different versions and I don't bother to memorize anything.