Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/198-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications)
-   -   New SI - Tire Balancing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/198-wheels-tires-brakes-modifications/364474-new-si-tire-balancing.html)

Zedoc 07-01-2015 09:47 AM

New SI - Tire Balancing

New SI with less than 1000. SInce new, the steering wheel has a slight vibration to it after around 65 mph. This thing should be rock steady to 100+ mph, I think.

I've been back to the dealer twice (and Goodyear once) for re-balancing. They've done it graciously with some success, but it's still not just right, IMO. The steering wheel still vibes.

What's wrong? Isn't anyone able to balance this properly, including the factory?

How do yo get Honda to get it right. The dealer has no more options. I doubt they'd even admit there was an issue.

Maybe it's the tires themselves?

S1N7H3T1C 07-01-2015 11:40 AM

Re: New SI - Tire Balancing

Do you have the option of another Honda dealer in the area to take it to? Brand new, shouldn't have any issues like that.

Zedoc 07-01-2015 12:57 PM

You mean, take it to one of the dealers I DIDN'T buy the car from? I'd be afraid they'd scowl at me.

ezone 07-01-2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zedoc (Post 4688172)
You mean, take it to one of the dealers I DIDN'T buy the car from?

Absolutely.

ezone 07-01-2015 01:00 PM

Or you could contact the Honda customer service hotline and start a case.

Zedoc 07-01-2015 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4688174)
Or you could contact the Honda customer service hotline and start a case.

That's what I just did. They were great. They're going to have Soichiro Honda get back to me before tomorrow afternoon.

brags 07-01-2015 06:36 PM

check Your tires closely and carefully for a shifted belt in a tire
or slightly bent rim another possibility.? make sure your problem
is documented by Your dealer.

ezone 07-01-2015 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zedoc (Post 4688181)
They're going to have Soichiro Honda get back to me

You owe me a keyboard.

Zedoc 07-06-2015 11:11 AM

Honda's service rep contacted me. He wanted me to have a dealer drive it to see if it's normal. I didn't know for sure then, but I'm sure now that it isn't.

I have a 2014 Accord, too. It's not balanced like that.

I have another balancing appointment at a different dealership set for Wednesday. I'm beginning to think it might be a tire.

Zedoc 07-09-2015 11:03 AM

I went to the tire balancing appointment. A mechanic went out for a drive and then came back and went out with me for a drive. He couldn't discern any thing wrong with the balance and tried to talk me out of believing that there was a problem. He suggested that I didn't know how these SI cars drove normally. Like, they were not supposed to be stable or something.

When we got back, he told his manager that there was nothing wrong. I told them there was something wrong and they agreed to re-balance the tires anyway.

A few minutes later, they called me back because they hadn't realized that I had previously contacted the regional Honda Service rep, who was keeping an eye on the case. Alan.

Having found that out, they admitted that they didn't have Road Force balancing capability and they wanted to send the car out to another dealership that did. Great. So they gave me a loaner.

Then they called me later and said the Road Force balancer showed a problem with the tire itself. Like a belt or something. That was the problem. They had to replace the tire.

So, that's where it stands. It should be repaired for pick-up later today. See, I can tell a problem. I'm not an idiot.

ezone 07-09-2015 01:16 PM

A few minutes later, they called me back because they hadn't realized that I had previously contacted the regional Honda Service rep, who was keeping an eye on the case. Alan.
Nice.

brags 07-09-2015 07:53 PM

Good Job..! on finding the problem :tup: zedoc i have heard of brand new tires being defective and a lot of people will rule them out as ever being a problem like in a case like yours. "NEW" only stands for (Never... Ever... Worked...)

ezone 07-09-2015 08:35 PM

"NEW" only stands for (Never... Ever... Worked...)
I've heard this somewhere before....:rolleyes:

Zedoc 07-13-2015 12:53 PM

On Friday I went to a Continental tire dealer. He was terrific and took another shot at re-balancing the tires.

This was after Brilliance Honda had given me the car back with the replacement tire. I didn't care for their attitude. It still didn't feel right and they didn't re-initialize the TPS, which confused me for a while, too. First off, the tires were wildly mis-inflated, after coming back to me from Brilliance Honda. One tire had 32 lbs, one 34.5, one 35.5 and the fourth had 40 lbs.sq.in! None had the right 33 lbs. It felt a little better when I corrected that myself.

But the Continental guy was great. He says those are great tires, Conti Pro Tech. THey were re-balanced again and they had been way off and not balanced inside and outside.

Honda dealers do not have good balancing equipment, in my opinion.

After all this, Conti had re-balanced and drove it and it was much improved, but still it isn't 100% right. I don't know what to do. It isn't the tire balance or mis-aligned belt at this point. It could be something about the "Hub," he said. It's like there's a resonance at 65 mph that goes away above that.

When I have the chance I'm going to call Alan again and the original dealer's service department. But I'm tired for now.

ezone 07-13-2015 01:04 PM

Honda dealers do not have good balancing equipment, in my opinion.
The equipment might be good, or less than good, but there are plenty of people that are unable to use simple equipment properly and THAT is a bigger problem IMO....

lack of training, ignorance, and apathy are all good reasons ??

Mediocre is the new OK!

Zedoc 09-10-2015 10:06 AM

It's been a while now, but I've finally gotten the problem resolved. I tried at least five re-balancings and there was always a residual virbration between 45 and 65 mph. I kept in contact with my Honda dealer, who really ws great in trying to help me.

They eventually agreed to put different new tires on. The car came with Conti ProContact. We ditched those and put on Michelin ProSport A/s, which are also specified for this car.

That worked. I drove off expecting the vibe to come on, and it didn't.

It was the tires. And everyone kept saying that Contis were great. Well, mine weren't. Now I have 4K miles and new tires.