Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/368608-change-whole-wiper-blade-just-rubber.html)

sdraza1 10-22-2016 10:55 AM

Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber

If wiper blade is not cleaning windshield properly, should we change the whole wiper blade or just it's rubber? thanks

06 EX Mild Mods 10-22-2016 02:02 PM

Re: Change whole wiper blade or just the rubber

The whole piece that connects to the wiper arm is easiest. Most auto stores have guides to look up which wiper blades you need, usually 2 different sizes on 8th & 9th Gen Civics (16 & 20" if my memory serves me well). Go with a mid grade quality or higher. These usually come with printed instructions.

xRiCeBoYx 10-22-2016 03:07 PM

Last time I replaced my ex's wiper blades (08 ex sedan), they were 26"/22" driver/passenger

ezone 10-22-2016 05:15 PM

My dealer stocks the rubber inserts for most of the cars for the ORIGINAL wiper blade assemblies..

Rubber inserts at $4-10 each can be much cheaper than complete blades from anywhere, and usually work far better than what you can buy at a parts store or Walmart.
Look up correct Honda list prices online first so you know if your dealers prices are right or not.

If you find complete blades elsewhere cheaper than the factory inserts....you get what you pay for.
I've seen a ton of different aftermarket replacements on all sorts of Hondas...I am rarely impressed. Most have at least one big drawback somewhere.

pnamajck 02-18-2017 10:24 AM

s'best to replace just the inserts (rubber refills) … as ezone pointed out, after-market blades don't really grip the windshield all that well. and, now that i learned the factory blades (2015-civic) can actually detach from the arm … it's pretty much a no-brainer. also, keep in mind … your driver's side is a couple inches longer than the passenger unit.

brags 02-18-2017 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by sdraza1 (Post 4714615)
If wiper blade is not cleaning windshield properly, should we change the whole wiper blade or just it's rubber? thanks

If You Live in Canada Best place to buy wiper Blades "any size You need" is..?

at Costco". they sell Michelin stealth wiper blades each for $10.00 can't go

wrong there...:tup: i bought a set a few months a ago for my 8th gen Civic

and they work great. cheers...! :_beer: :tup:

RIPSAW 02-18-2017 06:03 PM

After market is garbage. If the metal part of the wiper is not rusty or bent, replace the rubber. I heard the local part dealer tell someone he could only get the whole blade but that is not true. Be sure when you replace just the rubber, be sure you put those metal strips exactly the same. They can be curved or straight. If curved, the can actually be different on each side of car. If yours have been messes with, get the special sheet at your dealer special note book on how they go.

brags 02-18-2017 06:28 PM

Ripsaw i use to use inserts and Honestly they didn't last any Longer than

buying a whole Wiper blade "thats just from my experience" not putting them

down Just saying... You know for $10.00 At Costco i can buy any sized

wiper blade and be done with it. to me it just makes more sense. even if

they Last You a Year big deal. my Local Honda will charge me $10.00 any way

for inserts its NOT worth all the trouble of carefully inserting them and probably

getting a year anyway if You catch my drift.?