Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   2009 CDTI Fuel Line Leak (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/363739-2009-cdti-fuel-line-leak.html)

superstanko 04-27-2015 04:27 AM

2009 CDTI Fuel Line Leak

Good day all.

Newly registered member and looking for some help and advice. I've had a search for existing threads but can't seem to find anything the same.

Noticed a rainbow puddle under the wife's 2009 2.2 CDTI Civic over the weekend. I had a bit of a look under the car and appeared to be coming from around about the rear passenger wheel.

I took it to a tyre garage (only place open on a Sunday) and we got it up on the ramps and the mechanic confirmed it was diesel and looks like a fuel line leak. Sadly as the plastic undertray was on we can't see exactly where and they wouldn't touch it.

My questions:
1. Is there a fuel filter half way down the car that could be leaking or is it purely the line? I know there is a fuel filter in the engine bay but is there another one on the underside of the car?
2. If there is a leak in the fuel line can it be patched?
3. If I need a patch or even a full line (or filter if one exists) replacement how much should I be looking at? (based in the UK).

Much obliged for any help.

jordan1794 04-27-2015 02:25 PM

Re: 2009 CDTI Fuel Line Leak

Not sure if the models over-seas are any different, but my '06 and '14 the gas tank is practically underneath the rear-passenger seat.
The only reason I could see fuel getting to the rear tire area would be an issue with the fuel tank itself, be it a loose fitting or a hole.

Noticed the gas gauge depleting rapidly?

It's been sitting for a day or so now at least, is there a puddle underneath?

ezone 04-27-2015 06:07 PM

You will have to remove the undertray or remove whatever is blocking your view in order to put eyes upon the actual leak and determine the source.

I would hope rubber hoses would be easy to replace, if that is the source.

We don't have diesel Hondas in North America, so I don't think any of the regulars will have an exact idea of what usually has problems on your car.

superstanko 04-28-2015 04:38 AM

Many thanks for the reply gentlemen - firstly never realized that this was a NA based forum so appreciate even the acknowledgement!

The fuel tank is indeed located under the rear seats on the European models.

I took it to the Honda garage and the guy put it on the ramps and took the undertray off which was covered with diesel which was flowing to the back of the tray (parked on a slight hill) and therefore looked like it was coming from the back of the car.

Turns out it was simply a burst in the line (surprising to me for a 6 year old car). Rather than patch the line they are replacing the full line for £200 (~$300).

Thanks for the help and best of luck. :)