Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   06 Civic EX Not Starting - Any Suggestions (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/363577-06-civic-ex-not-starting-any-suggestions.html)

SSMatey 04-13-2015 03:07 AM

06 Civic EX Not Starting - Any Suggestions

My '06 Civic Ex is not starting. :confused:

Basically, I put the key in. The lights and dash powered-on as normal. Turned the key to start and everything suddenly powered off. Tried 2-3 more times and by the 3rd or 4th attempt the lights and dash did not power on.

This happened the first time a month ago. Waited a week, then took the battery to my auto parts store to make sure it was not the culprit. They said it was fine. I left the battery out of the car for about 2 weeks. Decided to have the car towed. Tow truck driver reinstalled the battery and the car turned-on like nothing happened.

One week later it suddenly won't start again. I receive no electrical power at all... the horn won't blow... the doors have to be manually locked/unlocked. I haven't checked any fuses because I don't know which ones to check...

The lights are normal - not dim.
The battery has 80% charge (per my auto parts store).
Did not start with a jump.
Makes no unusual noises when attempting to start it.
Starter replaced last year.

*Weird thing I noticed - 1) The first time this happened stock cd player display did not light up, but started making noise like it was just spinning over and over again. 2) After the battery was reinstalled... the cd player display still did not light up and just made the same weird noise when I pressed any of it's control buttons.

GolNat 04-13-2015 05:34 AM

Re: 06 Civic EX Not Starting - Any Suggestions

Sounds like you have an electrical connection that rattles it self loose on you.

Are the battery terminals tight? Chassis ground wire tight? Alternator connections tight? The main power to your fuse box tight? The starter connections?

ezone 04-13-2015 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SSMatey (Post 4683207)
My '06 Civic Ex

and everything suddenly powered off

If the battery, cables and cable ends are really making good contact and not dropping out, I bet you have a

Bad ground connection where the neg cable attaches to the body:

Attachment 114215

Disassemble, clean everything with a wire brush or sandpaper until there is clean shiny metal on all contact points (bolt, cable eyelet, and body), then cover liberally with dielectric silicone grease to protect it all.

HTH

SSMatey 04-13-2015 01:10 PM

Golnat - yeah it seems like that... but I don't understand how it suddenly rattled itself tight again when no one touched the car. It's kinda baffling. I'm going to look at your suggestions though.

Ezone - I looked at the ground from the from the battery... it seemed a little rusty, but still tight. I'll disconnect, clean, and lube it as you suggested. Is the other cable pictured (top cable that's bolted on the side) grounding the engine?

I'm pretty handy, if I have pictures or diagrams to find the items you guys have mentioned.

ezone 04-13-2015 06:09 PM

Is the other cable pictured (top cable that's bolted on the side) grounding the engine?
Correct. It attaches to the body and trans.