Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   whining noise while reversing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/358316-whining-noise-while-reversing.html)

crazy_jeeper 01-07-2014 06:53 PM

whining noise while reversing

ok, so this is my moms car, Im not an import kinda guy, i like my jeeps. Figured i learned everything i know about jeeps from an online forum so id ask here. Her car is a 2007 civic 4cyl auto. She says it makes a whining noise when she reverses and only while moving in reverse. I've driven the car quite a few times but its been a few years and i can't recall hearing any whining noise. Im leaning either towards reverse going out in the trans. I don't think it would be the gears because you would more than likely hear it in forward as well. What is y'alls prognosis?

ezone 01-07-2014 07:30 PM

Re: whining noise while reversing

Gear whine is absolutely normal, due to straight-cut gear teeth on the reverse gears.
EDIT: Damn, I was thinking of a manual trans! SOME whine can be normal even in an automatic.

But whine (squealers, or wear indicators) from the brakes is not OK.

Roll down the window, stick your head out and make sure it isn't the brakes you hear.
The wear indicators (if the pads were installed correctly) may make noise mostly in reverse at the onset.... then either direction as the pads get closer to the end of their life. Stepping on the brake pedal may or may not change the noise, and if it does then that's a big clue.

They are very different noises, but.......I can't hear it from here, and typing a description of the noise isn't helping much... yet.

crazy_jeeper 01-07-2014 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4655396)
Gear whine is absolutely normal, due to straight-cut gear teeth on the reverse gears.
EDIT: Damn, I was thinking of a manual trans! SOME whine can be normal even in an automatic.

But whine (squealers, or wear indicators) from the brakes is not OK.

Roll down the window, stick your head out and make sure it isn't the brakes you hear.
The wear indicators (if the pads were installed correctly) may make noise mostly in reverse at the onset.... then either direction as the pads get closer to the end of their life. Stepping on the brake pedal may or may not change the noise, and if it does then that's a big clue.

They are very different noises, but.......I can't hear it from here, and typing a description of the noise isn't helping much... yet.

Yeah, that's why i mentioned auto. I've read about the reverse whine but it all was on manuals. She said its coming from the rear so Im not sure. I haven't even heard it myself. I plan on going there Friday to pick up some stuff so I'll check her brakes when i go there. If it were the brakes if they are worn out i would figure it would start at the front since that's where most of the braking power is. Unless last time she had new pads installed(if ever) they only did the front. But it also doesn't help she knows almost nothing about cars so that doesn't help me figure out what's wrong. Lol.

ezone 01-07-2014 08:07 PM

She said its coming from the rear
Rear?
I assume then the car is an EX (rear disc brakes), not LX (rear drum brakes), and the noise is the rear pad wear indicator(s).

If it were the brakes if they are worn out i would figure it would start at the front since that's where most of the braking power is.
Depends.

Brakes do not have to wear evenly between front and rear. Very few cars wear them evenly (in my experience).

Front brakes don't have to wear out first, either. We have some cars that eat up rear pads long before fronts too.

At work, we try to catch and recommend brakes before the squealer makes contact. Customers hate to hear noise from the brakes.

Unless last time she had new pads installed(if ever) they only did the front.
Again, it depends.
Brake jobs are done in axle pairs, not all 4 wheels at the same time (unless needed).

But it also doesn't help she knows almost nothing about cars so that doesn't help me figure out what's wrong. Lol.
Hey, if she knows that a new noise is something to ask about, and can tell the noise is coming from the rear, she's already a notch or two above most average drivers!

crazy_jeeper 01-07-2014 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4655401)
Rear?
I assume then the car is an EX (rear disc brakes), not LX (rear drum brakes), and the noise is the rear pad wear indicator(s).

Depends.

Brakes do not have to wear evenly between front and rear. Very few cars wear them evenly (in my experience).

Front brakes don't have to wear out first, either. We have some cars that eat up rear pads long before fronts too.

At work, we try to catch and recommend brakes before the squealer makes contact. Customers hate to hear noise from the brakes.

Again, it depends.
Brake jobs are done in axle pairs, not all 4 wheels at the same time (unless needed).

Hey, if she knows that a new noise is something to ask about, and can tell the noise is coming from the rear, she's already a notch or two above most average drivers!

Yes it is an EX. She always takes it to the dealer for maintenance work so Im not sure of their protocol on that stuff. I'll take a gander at her pads and see if they're bad this weekend. I'll also let her know tomorrow it could be the pads in hopes she'll have the dealer replace them and not me. Lol