Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   2003 ecu help! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/368627-2003-ecu-help.html)

Brandon Sukhu 10-24-2016 06:53 PM

2003 ecu help!

So my alternator broke loose a couple weeks ago and my car is running in some sort of limp mode, after a lot of research I've come to the conclusion that my ecu is fried,also no code reader will connect... so I was wondering if all the numbers on the ecu need to match up? The one from my car is 37820-plm-c08 and I found one that's 37820-plm-co7.... will it still work? Please help! I need the car for my job...

ezone 10-24-2016 09:51 PM

Re: 2003 ecu help!

37820-plm-c08
I dropped that into my parts catalog and it came up blank. OH wait, I bet you are not in the USA. I can't confirm any part numbers for you.

Basically, here's the main differences to check for:

01-03 should work, 04-05 you cannot use

VTEC (or not) has to match
Transmission type has to match

emissions type should be the same, USA/Calif/Canada/Mexico markets are probably all different calibrations (software)

And before the engine will run, the immobilizer has to be programmed to the PCM and the keys registered.
OR you get the complete ignition lock and keys from the same car the PCM comes out of, as a matched set (immobilizer/keys/PCM).

Brandon Sukhu 10-25-2016 12:50 AM

i didn't get to see the donor car so idk if it was the same transmission type or vtec or not...(I got the ecu free) do you know what that last digit means? I wonder if I should just try it

Brandon Sukhu 10-25-2016 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4714749)
I dropped that into my parts catalog and it came up blank. OH wait, I bet you are not in the USA. I can't confirm any part numbers for you.

Basically, here's the main differences to check for:

01-03 should work, 04-05 you cannot use

VTEC (or not) has to match
Transmission type has to match

emissions type should be the same, USA/Calif/Canada/Mexico markets are probably all different calibrations (software)

And before the engine will run, the immobilizer has to be programmed to the PCM and the keys registered.
OR you get the complete ignition lock and keys from the same car the PCM comes out of, as a matched set (immobilizer/keys/PCM).

So let's say I got he ecu I need, I'm ready to go to the dealer to get it programmed, should I bolt the new ecu in before hand so all they need to do is program it and I'm on my way or do they need the ecu out of the car?

ezone 10-25-2016 07:12 PM

See how they prefer you do it.

Personally, it does not matter to me...If I have to switch the PCMs you will be charged labor accordingly in addition to the programming fee.

If it were me and I was cheap, I would have it all ready to swap PCMs beforehand. Unbolted, brace cut out of the glovebox, everything ready to swap just yank and unplug. Practice getting it out and in and connected just to make sure you can do it easily.

Drive (limp) it to the shop to avoid tow truck fees, park where they tell you --probably close to the building so it is not inconvenient for the tech (at my shop it is handy to be close enough to pick up our wifi) then swap PCMs yourself, then have them plug in the laptop or scanner and program it.