Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   1998 honda civic wire short (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/365855-1998-honda-civic-wire-short.html)

Xplosive1687 11-16-2015 09:05 PM

1998 honda civic wire short

I believe I have a short or loose wire somewhere.

I bought the car with this issue beliving it to just be fuses. Inatrument panel is not entirely lit up. Generallt lights up to 100mph after that its dark. No lights around parking and sometimes no lights around fuel and tempature. Also no lights around most of the heater switch except the defroster button. Somedays the lights start dim then light up the whole speedometer. i changed the dimmer switch no change. Changed some fuses for good measure, nothing. What makes me believe this is a potential loose wire is I hit a bump one night and saw the light around my tempature and gas gauge come on. Is this some kind of short? Also The driver side front speaker and tweeter dont work. Tried to put a sony 3 way speaker in there but didnt do anything so its empty right now. I do hear sound coming from passenger side tweeter but every so often I hear the driver side tweeter cut on briefly. Radio station cuts out and goes to static where I can hear a slight whine. Previous owner had a aftermarket deck in car but the wiring harness seemed rigged. There was speaker wire running from the yellow wires to some kind of plug like it was jumped. Unhooked those wires but could that be thd culprit? Thank you all !

ezone 11-16-2015 10:50 PM

Re: 1998 honda civic wire short

Inatrument panel is not entirely lit up. Generallt lights up to 100mph after that its dark. No lights around parking and sometimes no lights around fuel and tempature. Also no lights around most of the heater switch except the defroster button. Somedays the lights start dim then light up the whole speedometer. i changed the dimmer switch no change. Changed some fuses for good measure, nothing. What makes me believe this is a potential loose wire is I hit a bump one night and saw the light around my tempature and gas gauge come on. Is this some kind of short?
Think about how old all those 18 year old light bulbs are by now.....

The driver side front speaker and tweeter dont work. Tried to put a sony 3 way speaker in there but didnt do anything so its empty right now. I do hear sound coming from passenger side tweeter but every so often I hear the driver side tweeter cut on briefly.
Ohm check each wire between radio and speaker. Those cars like to break the wires in the door jamb where they flex.

Check antenna connection in back of radio.

Xplosive1687 11-18-2015 04:54 AM

Should I replace bulbs in the cluster and in the heater panel? I'm not sure exactly why kind of bulbs to get I saw a lot of different ones for the cluster. I was going to look at the harness again behind the radio for the antenna connection just to make sure. How do I do a ohm check? Multimeter?

ezone 11-18-2015 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xplosive1687 (Post 4697598)
Should I replace bulbs in the cluster and in the heater panel? I'm not sure exactly why kind of bulbs to get I saw a lot of different ones for the cluster

Bulbs are certainly cheaper and easier than chasing other stuff.

I was going to look at the harness again behind the radio for the antenna connection just to make sure.
Check speaker wires as described earlier while you're in there.

How do I do a ohm check? Multimeter?
Absolutely.
Google. Youtube.
You can check each light bulb with the same meter.

Find the bad ones, then take them to the store and match them up if possible.
Consider replacing every bulb you can get your fingers on just because they are ALL that old.

HTH