Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   2003 Honda Headlights wont shut off? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/364222-2003-honda-headlights-wont-shut-off.html)

ericaagarcia 06-09-2015 05:28 PM

2003 Honda Headlights wont shut off?

A couple nights ago my both of my headlights shut off and would not turn back on. we tried to switch the bulb, and that didn't work. my high beams work perfectly fine though. I took it to a mechanic and he switched out the relay, and now my headlights wont shut off. the switch for my lights isn't working, but I am still able to turn on and off my high beams, and all my other lights work, but my low beams are still on. please help me out!

drhawkinz 06-09-2015 06:26 PM

Re: 2003 Honda Headlights wont shut off?

you could pull the relay out so it doesn't kill the battery in the mean time. I'm assuming he check the fuses for the headlights as well. Maybe something is wrong with the switch itself??? I would think if the relay is functional and in-place then the switch is worn out.

ericaagarcia 06-09-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by drhawkinz (Post 4686579)
you could pull the relay out so it doesn't kill the battery in the mean time. I'm assuming he check the fuses for the headlights as well. Maybe something is wrong with the switch itself??? I would think if the relay is functional and in-place then the switch is worn out.

yes he checked the fuses as well! he's switching the switch right now so I'll let you know! thanks!

ezone 06-09-2015 08:14 PM

Have your mechanic UNDO whatever he did (LOL)

See your Honda dealer ASAP, there's a recall for the headlight problem.
They need to check the VIN first.

Some people have reported problems after the recall due to shoddy work, so be aware....

ericaagarcia 06-09-2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4686595)
Have your mechanic UNDO whatever he did (LOL)

See your Honda dealer ASAP, there's a recall for the headlight problem.
They need to check the VIN first.

Some people have reported problems after the recall due to shoddy work, so be aware....

I went to Honda & they told me my car wasn't part of the recall for the headlights.

ezone 06-09-2015 08:59 PM

OK, even if it's not under the recall there's a good possibility that it's been affected the same way.

It's probably worth having a look in the headlight switch connector for evidence of terminal overheating on the wire that runs the low beams.

The headlight switch and that connector is where I probably would have started the diagnosis, instead of just making them stay on all the time.

ericaagarcia 06-10-2015 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4686606)
OK, even if it's not under the recall there's a good possibility that it's been affected the same way.

It's probably worth having a look in the headlight switch connector for evidence of terminal overheating on the wire that runs the low beams.

The headlight switch and that connector is where I probably would have started the diagnosis, instead of just making them stay on all the time.

they turned me away at Honda when I brought up the recall with them :/ but thanks for the other info, I'm going back to my mechanic tomorrow, and I'll have him look into that!!

CraigW 06-10-2015 11:43 AM

Recall is 01s and early 02s.

Pretty sure the schematics are on this site, if he needs them.

ezone 06-10-2015 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4686635)
Recall is 01s and early 02s.

It applies to SOME 2003 Civics as well, if the VIN status report lists the recall.

CraigW 06-11-2015 09:17 AM

^^^ Did not know.

Staying ON seems a bit odd I must say.

ericaagarcia 06-11-2015 11:29 AM

thanks for all the help! they are barely going to switch the switch itself today & I will keep everyone informed if that in case was the problem!