Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   Tail lights not working(shorted out) (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/361193-tail-lights-not-working-shorted-out.html)

jerzstyle00 09-10-2014 11:14 PM

Tail lights not working(shorted out)

My tail lights on 2005 honda civic hybrid seem like they have a short somewhere. I found the 15 amp fuse that's under the hood. But blows instantly once new one installed. I disconnected all bulbs in rear from connectors but fuse still pops instantly. Any suggestions?
Also if anyone can provide a layout/ diagram for tail lights on my vehicle would be helpful. Not sure if I got correct lay out.

CraigW 09-11-2014 07:04 AM

Re: Tail lights not working(shorted out)

Which fuse ?? What name ?

Blows when lights are switched on ? Or when fuse installed ??

jerzstyle00 09-11-2014 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4671025)
Which fuse ?? What name ?

Blows when lights are switched on ? Or when fuse installed ??

Fuse blows only when I turn on head light switch.
The fuse name marked is '#3 small light lanternes 10a '.
Ps...I have attached a photo of fuse box underhood hopefully it worked.

CraigW 09-11-2014 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The fuse is supposed to be 10A please note. Was it a 15 when you found it blown ?

The fuse protects the switched portion of the taillight relay contacts.

That line branches to the front markers, the rear for tail and license and the audio unit and circuit for dimmable dash bulbs.

Has any major work been done, or any modifications ???

jerzstyle00 09-12-2014 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4671037)
The fuse is supposed to be 10A please note. Was it a 15 when you found it blown ?

The fuse protects the switched portion of the taillight relay contacts.

That line branches to the front markers, the rear for tail and license and the audio unit and circuit for dimmable dash bulbs.

Has any major work been done, or any modifications ???

We'll I just recently purchased vehicle as previous owner never mentioned lights issue. So not exactly sure what was replaced and what not.

But now that I have a layout drawing...can anyone guide me on how to attack this? What steps do I start with ?

CraigW 09-12-2014 07:49 AM

Own an DMM meter or a 12V test light ??

A test light across the empty fuse slot will light constant (when parking light switch is on) as long as the short is present. Don't mangle the fuse holder clip.

If you could locate the harness going to rear you could try to isolate if front or rear. Under the rear seat maybe ??

Being a hybrid could add to the fun.

jerzstyle00 09-15-2014 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4671071)
Own an DMM meter or a 12V test light ??

A test light across the empty fuse slot will light constant (when parking light switch is on) as long as the short is present. Don't mangle the fuse holder clip.

If you could locate the harness going to rear you could try to isolate if front or rear. Under the rear seat maybe ??

Being a hybrid could add to the fun.

Ok so I ended up finding the harness going to rear. I removed the connector (pic below). But fuse still blows when I turn lights on. Does this mean the short is somewhere between fuse box and detached connector?

CraigW 09-15-2014 08:37 AM

That harness is pretty far to the rear.... but should rule out some though.

Is there a RED/YLW wire in that connector ??

jerzstyle00 09-15-2014 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4671230)
That harness is pretty far to the rear.... but should rule out some though.

Is there a RED/YLW wire in that connector ??

I believe there's a red/yellow wire in both connectors. I had difficulty removing that inner connector you see in the previous pic but was thinking it was the outter connector that went to the back. Here's a pic of a different angle of connector showing red/yellow wire. Do I need to remove that inner connector you think to help narrow down short location?

CraigW 09-15-2014 10:00 AM

All automotive connectors use a latch/release.

You will need to work forward, there may be a connector under back seat... but the one you took loose should cover the rear most wiring and sockets.

Only going to get more complex moving forward though.