Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment)
-   -   Em2 stock tail-lights question (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/191-electrical-wiring-car-entertainment/352800-em2-stock-tail-lights-question.html)

DustinEM2 11-24-2012 12:41 PM

Em2 stock tail-lights question

Hello, I am brand new to this forum (and to Honda's too) I just bought a 04 Civic LX Coupe (love the car). I have a general question. Does this car really only has one bulb (per side) light up for tail-lights? Only the top inside corner of each taillight lens lights up when my running lights are on. It's a 2 element bulb that acts as tail and brake light. The other two sockets are for turn signal and reverse/back-up lights.

It just seems like it's not very well lit. and the corner of the lens that wraps around the side of car doesn't ever light up at all right?

Now this part is just strange. Pepboys, Autozone and O'reilly's computer show my LX coupe uses a #7528 (2) element bulb, these are the big ones with metal base with the 2 metal tits. My car does NOT use this bulb. Oddly, all parts stores and online parts places ALL show that my LX Coupe uses this bulb. It does not though. My car uses the smaller type of bulb (#7443) which is all glass, much smaller and pushes in and pulls straight out. The big bulbs are the kind that you turn 1/4 turn to lock in or release, my car does not use these type. so why do all the parts places think it does? (I got the car from my own sister who was single owner since new, its all stock) Sorry for making this so long, to summarize, do these cars really only have one tail light? And have you guys experienced the "wrong bulbs" being listed as I have? I'm thinking the bulb is for the sedans maybe? Any photos of lights lit up would be great too. (and if anybody wants these bulbs, Sylvania long life 7528, I'll mail them to you, they were $5.99) Thanks so much in advance!

ezone 11-24-2012 01:38 PM

Re: Em2 stock tail-lights question

Originally Posted by DustinEM2 (Post 4624972)
It's a 2 element bulb that acts as tail and brake light. The other two sockets are for turn signal and reverse/back-up lights......

do these cars really only have one tail light?

Per side. You already counted the sockets. I doubt any more light sockets and bulbs are going to grow in there no matter which Gods you pray to.

Let us know if it DOES happen though, I'm sure most of us will want to know your secrets.

and the corner of the lens that wraps around the side of car doesn't ever light up at all right?
Not on your version of the car, apparently.

Digging in the parts catalog reveals the outer corner of the lenses were lit on Coupes 01-03, but not 04-05.

Now this part is just strange. Pepboys, Autozone and O'reilly's computer show my LX coupe uses a #7528 (2) element bulb, these are the big ones with metal base with the 2 metal tits. My car does NOT use this bulb. Oddly, all parts stores and online parts places ALL show that my LX Coupe uses this bulb. It does not though. My car uses the smaller type of bulb (#7443) which is all glass, much smaller and pushes in and pulls straight out. The big bulbs are the kind that you turn 1/4 turn to lock in or release, my car does not use these type. so why do all the parts places think it does?

And have you guys experienced the "wrong bulbs" being listed as I have?
Nothing strange about that at all.
Parts catalog is wrong, or the pimply faced kid behind the counter got it wrong.

This is exactly why you should ALWAYS match up old and new parts before leaving the store.

We get wrong parts ALL the time, and it is hard to place blame on any single cause, there are SO many opportunities for someone to screw it up between the initial phone call and some part arriving at the shop.

Owners manual and OE parts catalog only shows bulb wattages or candlepower, it doesn't show the bulbs using the common numbering system, so you almost HAVE to match them up to be sure.

HTH

DustinEM2 11-25-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Em2 stock tail-lights question

Hey Thanks for the info, especially about the 01-03 lighting up on the corner, that's interesting.

And your sarcasm is well taken, I had to laugh myself, I know there aren't any more sockets ha ha, just wanted to see what was up with the other bulb being listed to make sure my car was not altered, although I can tell its all factory wiring so again, sort of stupid question I admit that. I've been wrenching for a long time, I'm not as stupid as I sounded, I just had to check with others with the same model car.. OCD I guess. oh and I normally would have taken my old bulbs out FIRST, like you said, this was night time with the wife and baby in the car on a trip that I was reluctant to take since I just bought the car and hadn't had a chance to inspect. It was a rushed type of thing. I was just curious about it, of course I can return or give to somebody else, no worries there.